Hitched on the Monorail...a mobile matrimonial

And further, ftr, there is a lovely write up on Offbeat Bride about a couple who sneaked INTO Disneyland proper to get married. A character handler caught sight of them and they thought, "Oh no, jig is up." Instead, the handler brought over Alice and the Mad Hatter to stand in as maid of honour and best man. Afterwards, they were treated to some pictures and a treat.

I would LOVE to read that story! Can you link it? :)

Hi Jessica! I loved your creative Monorail wedding! That was just awesome! So inspired. I love that you tried to keep it as discreet and unobtrusive to other guests as possible. That alone speaks volumes about you. And honestly, if you weren't thinking thru the best options to be unobtrusive would you ever have landed on the Monorail idea? And oh how romantic to be a passenger in your monorail car! Talk about sprinkling Pixie Dust on someone else's day!

I'm with you. I would love more than anything to have my real wedding in the form a vow renewal with DFTW's. My hubby & I were 19 & 21 when we met. We knew each other a total of 2 months when we got engaged. Initially we were planning for a big wedding but then our families were having financial troubles and weren't going to be able to pay our tuition for fall quarter much less afford us the luxury of our dream wedding. Our solution? Go ahead and get married. Once we were married we didn't have to claim our families' incomes and qualified for grants. So after having known each other just 4 months we stood in my in-law's living room while my best friend's dad married us. Our honeymoon was 1 night at the beach because we had to get back to start classes Monday morning. And that will have been 18 years ago next month. :lovestruc

Nowadays I look at the cost of the DFTW events even the least expensive ones and just can't bring myself to do it. I see that $2k and think, "That's the food budget for our family for 10 days at WDW" or "That would buy the boys' curriculum for the school year" (we homeschool). There's always things that seem more important than another ceremony just to indulge the little girl in me that yearns to be a real princess if only for a day.

So I'm happy with my sweet husband who tells me everyday that I'm his princess now and always. I'm good with that. How could I not be, right?

I feel ya, girl. Of course we'd rather have the grand event but not everyone can. I also enjoy living vicariously thru all these other beautiful, blessed brides on their own adventures. At the end of the day I think it's wonderful that we all have our own, very different fairytales to tell. If we all did the same thing that sure wouldn't be any fun. The contrast of stories and experiences is what makes us all more interesting and colorful.

Again, loved reading about your super-cool wedding! So awesome! Thanks for sharing. :hug:

Oh! And BTW, I have never heard of a bouquet of paper flowers but I think that idea is really cool! One of my favorite things is to see ordinary things repurposed into something far from what it originally was. Did you make them? They looked great! Who knew? Paper can be a pretty flower!

First off, congrats to you for finally getting married!

I haven't posted in so long but the fact that you were able to get married on the monorail called out to me.
I am so jealous! I love the monorail and although we were only able to get a photo on it:

pic7-3.jpg

...i would have loved to spend more time on it (I wished that it could be our transportation for the wedding...I know silly)

pretty cool and gutsy. i would have been too shy to pull it off, lol

Again, congrats to you & thanks for sharing!!:hug:

Thank you, sweetpee and AbbyPan for your comments. :) Sweetpee, I did make the bouquet. I found some lovely tutorials on how to make paper roses, and then adapted them a little bit. I used sheet music, and I have seen book pages used to nice effect as well. Once I finished the roses, I painted them with peach and copper paints in slightly different shades, wired them together, and finished it off with ribbon. I wanted something small and meaningful, and my husband and I both love music and are singers, so it fit. Thank you for the compliments!

OH Dear - this all go in such pickle did it! ... but hopefully forgotten now .... however, I have to say that I don't think anyone would read this as bragging.... you didnt have the big wow decorated venue to say your vows, you didnt have a mass of friends and family around you, you didnt have the meal adorned with glitz and glamour and private rooms with your own private waiters to have that meal, as well as all the other glitz and glamour that disney overcharges newlyweds-to-be for. Instead you had something that was just fun and within your means at that time.

I for one congratulate and "virtually" shake your hand for doing it, and a special well done goes to doing it discreety.

I also agree with you that some brides do come onto websites/boards and like to "brag" about there new well overpriced find that they will use for an hour on their special day (I would hope most arent doing it for that reason, myself included), but I did not read your thread with that thought at all, and from the look of things many brides on here did not either.

Good Luck for your future

Tracey x

Congratulations to the OP! It sickens me to read all this hate, for what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of one's life in supposedly the happiest place in the world. I am so sick of people on this board sometimes. Whatever happened to being happy for one another? The OP didn't break any "sacred" rules, but probably was more creative then most posters on here, and I give her cuddo's.

To the OP, I bet they are just jealous they didn't think of getting married on a monorail FIRST.

BTW I paid the "big bucks" for a Disney wedding almost 10 years ago, and I don't seem to remember anyone appointing me judge and jury over other Disney guests... Maybe things have changed in the last decade?

Jennifer

Since most of the above post was pointed at me, I would like to say that it was all finished, forgotten and forgiven. Both Jessica and I have admitted it got out of hand and sorted it out a long time ago. Why do you feel the need to bring it all up again?
I am not jealous of Jessica or her wedding and I am absolutely sure she is not jealous of me or mine. Incidentally, I did not pay big bucks for a DFTW - I didn't even have one, and I do not hold myself up as judge and jury over 'other guests'. Although this is over, and I now have the upmost respect for the Jessica, you cannot say that what she did was not against the rules. It was. Yes it was imaginative, yes it was beautiful and yes it was unique etc etc, but it was also against the rules. Try as you might, you cannot deny that (even Jessica does not deny that).
I am sorry I 'sicken' you, and whilst I will not use such colourful language, I will say that it disappoints me how some people on these boards can bring up things which have long since been settled amicably. I can't imagine what your intention was in doing it.

Thank you for the support, everyone! At the risk of bringing it all up again, I must clarify something, Joanne mentioned again that "even (I) admitted it was against the rules". Um, no. I did not, and it is not. Please know that I have thoroughly explored the situation with Guest Relations (which has outright said that DISBoards and its posters have no authority for determining rules or how they are enforced) and because I had my ceremony where a Disney wedding is not offered, no rule was broken or even really bent.

Again, rules not broken. This from Disney's guest relations, and a supervisor to boot. I need that clarified, just because saying it repeatedly does not make it so. :) Mickey makes it so!!! LOL

I just now saw this thread for the first time and wanted to wish the bride and groom every happiness! What an awesome wedding! I totally loved the photos and think it's so cool that you were on the monorail. Congratulations.

Okay, I am clearly in the wrong again, and I apologize!!
It is obviously within the rules to have your wedding on Disney property as long as it isn't in a location used by DFTW.
We have always been led to believe otherwise. We have always been told that it is not allowed, and if you are caught doing this you would be asked to stop.
Jessica sweetie, we have obviously been fed the wrong information. You have found out from a reliable source that it is permitted, and so I concede that you were within your rights to have your wedding on the monorail.
I think we may see more of these ceremonies around the property now this is known.
I really don't wish for all this to start up again, and I am sorry that I said it was against the rules when it is apparently not.

On the monorail? That is hilarious and amazing! I would have never thought of that. Even on the off-chance that I had, I would have assumed it was against the rules and wouldn't have the guts to do it anyway. I couldn't risk getting banned from the Happiest Place on Earth! LOL. :littleangel:

I also wonder if you started a trend. How many people saw this thread and decided to copycat? I wonder if Disney will one day offer it as a special ceremony venue! :laughing:

Either way, congrats! That's definitely one way to make an event memorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!