Hogwarts walk-throughs?

KatieCharlotte

DIS Veteran
What are the current options for people who just want to walk through Hogwarts and not ride FJ? I know it has varied over the years. I'm asking for two different situations, both in slower seasons -- (1) No one in the group wants to ride. They will not have express passes or early entry. They have patience but have just one day in the park. They would not have a problem speaking up and asking for a walk-through if they know who/what to ask. (2) One person does not want to ride but loves going through Hogwarts. It's a preteen, but one who is very comfortable at IoA and would prefer to exit and do something else rather than wait in the child swap room. They will have unlimited (resort) express passes and lots of time but maybe less patience.

Are walk-throughs still possible and a decent option for group (1), or would you suggest something else? What would you suggest for group (2)?

Yep, with any walk through, or tour guides it's typically offered during slower seasons and quieter times. Unlike the other tours, Hogwarts is not a guided tour so you do not have to necessarily need the assistance, or be walked through by a TM, but is it's own queue, which makes it more available. However, sometimes might not be available during peak seasons, or during high wait times. It sounds like you're more than likely going to be there during a slower season by your suggested scenarios, so the only thing I can think of additional to do is go when the wait time is low and all you can do is simply ask if it's available.

We always have one or two walk throughs each trip.

You just need to tell the TM you’re not riding an that way you’ll get to take your bag and camera in with you if you need to. We go through both the regular line and Express line, purely for photographs at times.

When you get to the where folks are going on the ride, again tell the TM you’re not riding........it’s simple, no need to ask for a tour as there isn’t really a thing like that......you just walk through.

"However, sometimes might not be available during peak seasons, or during high wait times. "
Definitely seems to be random and luck of the draw. The last three times we were there we were told a walk through is no longer available. Hopefully you'll get lucky as it's certainly worth it. Love the walk thru! All you have to do is ask. Good Luck!

Perhaps, it's no longer available as you said @Breezy2. It's been awhile since I personally done it, as I typically do the SR line in order to get onto the ride. They might have realized it's unnecessary and decided to eliminate the queue in order to permanently incorporate it into the regular queue so when it gets busy it's easier to extend it.

I think the main reason it existed in the first place is due to a lot of people wanting to stop, look, and take pictures which would hold up the line. That might have slowly became less of a thing with the attraction being open for a few years now.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but since Hagrid's kind of "the favorite" now I would imagine hopping into the regular queue first in the morning wouldn't take that long, or if anything, it could be done later at night.

Before express was added, you could usually walk through the express queue to see everything since the queue was mostly only used for disability access. Since they added express I don’t know that they still let people go through just to take a tour. There is no separate tour-only line. There’s standby, single rider, express, and somewhere a separate loading area not on a moving belt for those who need it.

The preteen can just exit at the end without riding or stopping in the swap room. The first group just needs to go when the line is short- first thing in the morning or at night. Also, if they really want to experience everything, they should take their time in each room and let people pass them. If the line is short sometimes you don’t really stop til you’re almost at the end. In that scenario you don’t hear the entire portrait loop, Dumbledore speech, or see even one complete Ron/Harry/Hermione scene, let alone both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter