Holding two reservations for the same time with the same name?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
We have our home resort booked and it’s our 7 month window opening up tomorrow. I have enough points to book a new reservation and then go back and cancel the existing one afterwards. Can I do this?

Do I need to change my name somehow? Is adding a middle initial enough or do I need to change it more than that?

I can book online at 7 am correct?

Thanks

We have our home resort booked and it’s our 7 month window opening up tomorrow. I have enough points to book a new reservation and then go back and cancel the existing one afterwards. Can I do this?

Do I need to change my name somehow? Is adding a middle initial enough or do I need to change it more than that?

Thanks
You can book two reservations in the same name for the same time. It might be a problem if you try to link both in MDE but having two in your name on the DVC website is not a problem. I do it often if I'm booking a hard-to-get reservation and I don't want to take the time to enter the addresses for my brother, sister or neighbor who is actually using the second villa. I just use my browser's autofill to put my info in and then contact MS to make the changes later.

Change the name for safety.

If you are Bob Smith on one, be BT Smith on the other.

Change the name for safety.

If you are Bob Smith on one, be BT Smith on the other.
Oh wow, that can be done, I wanted to booki into the next day, to prevent waiting for room , for example , May 13-16,the remainder of my family is coming in ,May 15-19. Was told we couldn’t do it with the same names. Because it would get cancelled. Didn’t think to use initials.

You want to avoid having the database match cleanly. Initials, or Robert vs. Bob, with a different lead guest. Stuff like that.

I don't know if the system checks for duplicates, the CM's if they see it might take action. I have had my first and last name on 3 holding reservations at the same time without issue.

:earsboy: Bill

I had a waitlist pending for a BLT room that I set up at about 10 months out. Then I started thinking I might want to go to AKV so I booked a room at 7 months out at AKV for the same night the waitlist was pending. Yesterday (at about 5 1/2 months out) the waitlist cleared and they cancelled my AKV as "you can't have two reservations under the same name." That is what the CM said when I called today. They just cancelled it w/o asking me that maybe I might have some other motives, i.e. different family members, etc.. They just did it. I'm a tad upset... I've had them call me in the past when there was doubt around something, but to just flat out do this w/o contacting me just seems wrong. Argh. Now AKV is on the waiting list.

As to why I was still not decided, is that I don't have the second day at AKV -- I only had it at BLT. I need the second day and then I can make the switch from BLT to AKV. yes it is bad to hold two reservations, but I have the points and I will give up the room as soon as I get that second day (or not, then I give up AKV) and someone on the waitlist or a stalker will get it. Given their waitlist system isn't perfect, IMHO this gaming is required to make the system work...

I'd really like to know where in the rules it says I can't do this and if does, I'll stop complaining. But if it doesn't, I really think DVC CMs need to be trained not to do this. At least contact the member....

I had a waitlist pending for a BLT room that I set up at about 10 months out. Then I started thinking I might want to go to AKV so I booked a room at 7 months out at AKV for the same night the waitlist was pending. Yesterday (at about 5 1/2 months out) the waitlist cleared and they cancelled my AKV as "you can't have two reservations under the same name." That is what the CM said when I called today. They just cancelled it w/o asking me that maybe I might have some other motives, i.e. different family members, etc.. They just did it. I'm a tad upset... I've had them call me in the past when there was doubt around something, but to just flat out do this w/o contacting me just seems wrong. Argh. Now AKV is on the waiting list.

As to why I was still not decided, is that I don't have the second day at AKV -- I only had it at BLT. I need the second day and then I can make the switch from BLT to AKV. yes it is bad to hold two reservations, but I have the points and I will give up the room as soon as I get that second day (or not, then I give up AKV) and someone on the waitlist or a stalker will get it. Given their waitlist system isn't perfect, IMHO this gaming is required to make the system work...

I'd really like to know where in the rules it says I can't do this and if does, I'll stop complaining. But if it doesn't, I really think DVC CMs need to be trained not to do this. At least contact the member....

Wow. That stinks!

I have a split stay booked and I have the "move day" booked at both resorts so we are not homeless. I sure hope they don't cancel one of my reservations because of an overlap day!!!

Should I be worried? I want both resorts booked for the same night. I'm essentially paying an extra night for "late checkout".

Wow. That stinks!

I have a split stay booked and I have the "move day" booked at both resorts so we are not homeless. I sure hope they don't cancel one of my reservations because of an overlap day!!!

Should I be worried? I want both resorts booked for the same night. I'm essentially paying an extra night for "late checkout".
I'd think you're all set as there is no reason for anyone to look at your reservation/account -- unfortunately my situation (clearing the waitlist) required someone to look at my account (that they spent the moment to notice there was another reservation on the same day surprises me). So based on what I've read on this matter, I'm not sure I'd worry, but I'd make the primary name on one of them different, i.e. someone else in your party....

I do not think it's appropriate for MS to decide that. The only reason to have cancelled the AKV was because when you set up the BLT reservation to do that you told them to. ie - MS should not be "thinking" about it and just follow what the member designates. There is actually no rule that says you can't have 2 reservations. Having the points is all that matters and then you should be able to book 5 or 10 rooms should you wish and leave any or all empty.

Thanks

First note that if you want to switch reservations to a new resort or room size at 7-months out, you have no need to first book the second one and then cancel the first one. The "Modify" reservation page on the site allows you to completely modify your existing reservation to a new one without losing your original reservation until the new one is confirmed, and if for any reason the new one is not available, you just keep what you have.

As to using your name as lead on two reservations for same time period, I have done it often with no problem to get two rooms at 11-months out or 7-months out for trip that will include extended family.

Wow. That stinks!

I would be worried. I had a situation and the cm said one reservation would be canceled because ¨you can´t be in two places at one time¨ To add: I wanted to have a second reservation for family to coincide with my reservation. Since my name was the lead on both reservations, she said one would end up being cancelled. We just had the lead name changed on their reservation, but had to have MS do it.

Last edited:
I would be worried. I had a situation and the cm said one reservation would be canceled because ¨you can´t be in two places at one time¨
From what I understand you can't be checked into the second resort until you check out of the first one, so you will run into issues. That's why when you have a split stay if you want any chance of getting in early at the second resort you need to go to the front desk and specifically ask them to check you out when you leave.

Wow. That stinks!

I've booked a move day a few times already. The first time (a few years ago), they contacted me and I explained. They said that if we wanted to save the points, we can always just store our luggage. I've done that before, and it's inconvenient if we have plans.

The next few times, I was not contacted and there was no issue with the reservation.

I'd think you're all set as there is no reason for anyone to look at your reservation/account -- unfortunately my situation (clearing the waitlist) required someone to look at my account (that they spent the moment to notice there was another reservation on the same day surprises me). So based on what I've read on this matter, I'm not sure I'd worry, but I'd make the primary name on one of them different, i.e. someone else in your party....

Really sorry because I have had this same situation, with a waitlist as well, and they never canceled out nights that were at the other resorts. I just wonder if it was someone who hasn't done it that much. I sometimes carry an extra night on a split stay so we don't have to be homeless from 11 am until 4 pm too.

Well, stalking paid off, I got my reservation back. Waitlist worked for the second night, but the first one I got back by stalking. So now I'm all set. Yeah!

We have one night booked at a Poly bungalow, waiting for the other (have a WL, stalking daily too), but also have two nights booked at BWV for the same dates so we're not homeless. They're under my name. Haven't had any issues yet, but what's annoying is we are experiencing the Modify bug for resale contracts. So unfortunately I have to book, cancel, and call to shift points around, connect reservations, etc. if I'm able to find the room via stalking.

We have one night booked at a Poly bungalow, waiting for the other (have a WL, stalking daily too), but also have two nights booked at BWV for the same dates so we're not homeless. They're under my name. Haven't had any issues yet, but what's annoying is we are experiencing the Modify bug for resale contracts. So unfortunately I have to book, cancel, and call to shift points around, connect reservations, etc. if I'm able to find the room via stalking.
What is the Modify bug for resale contracts you refer to?

As for having issues with two reservations for same night with same names, I suspect that is only a problem if a CM deals with your reservation in the background for a waitlist clearing. At least that is what happened to me..... If you just deal with a computer I bet you are safe...

What is the Modify bug for resale contracts you refer to?

As for having issues with two reservations for same night with same names, I suspect that is only a problem if a CM deals with your reservation in the background for a waitlist clearing. At least that is what happened to me..... If you just deal with a computer I bet you are safe...

So a few folks, myself included, have had issues modifying reservations online. It seems like it impacts only people with resale contracts, though not all people with resale contracts. There are a few threads with mentions of it (you'll get a 7 dwarfs image when you try to confirm a modification), and some responses from Member Services saying they're aware and working on the issue.

So, based on most of the replies, having two reservations at different resorts with same name on the same dates doesn’t seem to be an issue except when waitlisting.
I booked RIV and then my PVB resale points were loaded. I don’t want to cancel RIV yet because we may end up doing a split stay and we won’t make a final decision until 7mo window.
Should I rebook RIV with my husband as primary to avoid potential cancellation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!