Hollywood Brown Derby vs. Sci Fi with kids?

wdwplanner13

Earning My Ears
Lunch break with a 9 and 6 yr old and can't decide between Hollywood Brown Derby or sci fi for spring break/Easter trip. We've never been to either. I was thinking the quiet of the derby would be a nice break, but my kids may not be so quiet from running around all morning. Any real life experiences? Suggestions?

I love both, and I’ve taken kids to both. My honest opinion is to go to whichever one is more convenient for your plan and has food your kids will like. Sci-Fi is actually usually really quiet because people aren’t facing each other to talk, and are watching the movie clips. We find it SO relaxing.

I would do Brown Derby. The food is great and I find the restaurant to be quite relaxing. The cars at Sci-Fi feels very cramped to me and there isn't a lot of room for food on the "tables". While the theming is amazing, I don't find it very comfortable.

I just asked DGD, She didn't blink or stop to think when she said HBD. Of course she wuvvvs the chicken noodle soup on the kids' menu so there is that. Watching the "Order of the First March" from the lounge is also fun to her and her cousin and hopefully her bestie, who will be going on her first trip w/ us this April (she's been w/ her grandmother before). As an adult, I really like not having to make an ADR for every meal and this meal will fit that bill.

I suspect you'll find something kiddos like to eat at both venues so I would either choose based on what I know of my children or just ask them.
Neither restaurant is wrong:).

Sci Fi no question. It’s one of my kid’s favorites and I find the atmosphere to be pretty calm. It’s dark in there and most people are either busy eating or watching the “movie”. At 6 and 9 my kids would find the HBD boring.

Lots of sci fi votes! One more question: there will be five of us: three adults and the two kids. Can we all fit into the car?

My vote is for Hollywood Brown Derby. It was my son's favorite meal. He said it was the best food he had ever eaten and always wants to go back. We tried Sci-Fi, and while it is an interesting concept, the hamburgers we all ordered were terrible. Even the kids didn't like them and that is saying a lot.

Sci-fi is awkward with larger parties. With odd numbers someone will be sitting alone, and none of you are facing each other. It is nice if you want to put the kids in their own row and ignore them for a few minutes. They tend to be quite happy eating burgers and sundaes while watching the movie screen, kinda gives parents a time-out to regroup. popcorn::

I really prefer HBD and both of my kids (including the burger connoisseur) would choose HBD based on food and experience as well. Sci-Fi was a one-and-done, but we will definitely return to HBD.

Brown Derby has better food, but SciFi has a much better atmosphere and theming.

It's my kids only choice this next trip. We love it there. And can't do it anywhere else. I like the food. So do my kiddos.

SciFi all the way IMHO. I love the atmosphere.

And personally, I’m not a huge fan of BD. We ate there for dinner one year and it was ok. But we had a really great appetizer, so we were looking to book a restaurant for the Fantasmic package the next year. So we decided on BD again for lunch.

We didn’t realize they rotated the menus so often and the appetizer we loved was gone, and the entree selections all were unappealing. I got ‘Duck both ways’ and it was literally the worst meal I’ve ever eaten in Disney. My wife and I lovingly refer to it as ‘Duck gross ways’.

There was also a policeman (in character) who kept coming around to our table and trying to chat us up. We just found it very annoying considering how much we were spending.

I will never eat at BD again. SciFi is so much more fun. My 4 year old loved it last time and we’re going again this year.

My kids aren't and have never been fans of Sci-Fi. The small cramped spaces to eat don't help matters. We enjoy talking during eating and that really isn't an option there. We love HBD. The food is great and is much more than burgers and fries. We have only had so so food from Sci-Fi and just okay service there. We have had better service at HBD as well and the atmosphere is a little more relaxing for us. I know that people love Sci-Fi but we won't go again!

Is this a trick question?
Unless you have some young foodies
SCI FI. Just because it’s way more Disney and Brown derby is just another nice restaurant to them
Edit unless they don’t like TV at all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter