Home from 1st DVC stay

Xalthon

Mouseketeer
We just got back from our first stay as DVC members. We did a split stay with 3 nights at Beach Club followed by 3 nights at our home resort of Poly. Overall it was nice, but I had some questions/observations for the seasoned DVC members.

At Poly, we immediately noticed that the sink in the main bathroom was clogged. When washing hands, the water level climbed very quickly. This seemed very off-putting to me since it should have been obvious to anyone who used it that there was a problem. Hence, why didn't housekeeping notice this and flag it to be fixed? Or if it was flagged, why wasn't it addressed? (I know no one here can answer these.) It reminded me of Pete's comment in the DVC show a while back about obvious problems (in his case, a huge water stain on a table) in DVC room not being addressed. Anyway, I reported the issue and someone came up to fix it.

The other odd thing was that when we came back from the park one day, there were tools sitting in the shower in the shower room. Later, a maintenance man came and fished some repairs in the shower. But we never reported any problems with the shower, and no one ever notified us that someone would be coming in the room to perform such repairs. Is this normal? I would think that common sense/curiosity says that we should have been notified somehow.

Definitely have some mixed feelings after our first stay as DVC members.

To be fair, I wouldn’t really expect housekeeping to check every sink and tub for blockages. If the previous guest didn’t bother reporting it then you have to. And yes, they will enter an unoccupied room to do repairs without notifying you, which doesn’t really bother me, except of course they shouldn’t leave tools lying around.

No, I didn't think Housekeeping would make checks for the express purpose of looking for clogs. But part of their routine would be (I assume) to clean the sinks and counter tops in the bathrooms, which you would think would require the use of water from the sink, which would have immediately backed up due to the clog. That was my line of thought.

We just got back from our first stay as DVC members. We did a split stay with 3 nights at Beach Club followed by 3 nights at our home resort of Poly. Overall it was nice, but I had some questions/observations for the seasoned DVC members.

At Poly, we immediately noticed that the sink in the main bathroom was clogged. When washing hands, the water level climbed very quickly. This seemed very off-putting to me since it should have been obvious to anyone who used it that there was a problem. Hence, why didn't housekeeping notice this and flag it to be fixed? Or if it was flagged, why wasn't it addressed? (I know no one here can answer these.) It reminded me of Pete's comment in the DVC show a while back about obvious problems (in his case, a huge water stain on a table) in DVC room not being addressed. Anyway, I reported the issue and someone came up to fix it.

The other odd thing was that when we came back from the park one day, there were tools sitting in the shower in the shower room. Later, a maintenance man came and fished some repairs in the shower. But we never reported any problems with the shower, and no one ever notified us that someone would be coming in the room to perform such repairs. Is this normal? I would think that common sense/curiosity says that we should have been notified somehow.

This stuff should never happen. I hope they compensate you in some form.

To be fair, I wouldn’t really expect housekeeping to check every sink and tub for blockages. If the previous guest didn’t bother reporting it then you have to. And yes, they will enter an unoccupied room to do repairs without notifying you, which doesn’t really bother me, except of course they shouldn’t leave tools lying around.
If they clean with soap and water and the guest reported it backed up immediately, one has to wonder if they cleaned at all.

i have had things hapen that you wonder if someone didn’t notice. It Is very possible it happened with the last guest at the end of their stay and they didn’t report, especially since there is a 2nd sink. Not sure why people do that.

It is possible it was noticed and reported bt housekeeping but overlooked. Things happen and I’m glad they came and fixed In terms of entering, yes, they can do that, if they have to fix things, but you would think they would have left a message on the phone.

No, I didn't think Housekeeping would make checks for the express purpose of looking for clogs. But part of their routine would be (I assume) to clean the sinks and counter tops in the bathrooms, which you would think would require the use of water from the sink, which would have immediately backed up due to the clog. That was my line of thought.
I would think that the sinks would be cleaned by spraying with some bleach-based cleaner and wiping down, which would kill any germs and thoroughly clean the sink, but not detect any clog. Filling each sink with water to check how long it takes to drain would add too much time to a room cleaning IMO.

Two things happened concurrently:

1. Clogged sink, how could no maintenance person have fixed it before I took notice?!

2. Maintenance person was in our room, fixing something in our shower before I'd taken notice. Weird and unacceptable!

....??

A good maintenance man will check other things for proper function while there.
It sounds like you had a visit from a good maintenance man.

A good maintenance man will check other things for proper function while there.
It sounds like you had a visit from a good maintenance man.

Perhaps, but that definitely is not what happened here.

Again, my biggest issue is that there was no notice about the second repair trip. It caused issues because our little ones could not nap in the room that afternoon. If e had known, we could have planned better. In fact, the crib we had was placed inside that second shower room where this latest repair was taking place.

If the sink isn't draining correctly and it's not a problem right at the sink, there's a blockage someplace. It probably was with the shower and that's why the tools were still there. If I remember correctly, there was an issue with showers not draining right after the resort opened. The plumbing is all connected.

For clarification, the two issues were entirely unrelated. The clog was fixed on the first day with the worker working on the sink. The other unexpected visit happened a day or two later.

For clarification, the two issues were entirely unrelated. The clog was fixed on the first day with the worker working on the sink. The other unexpected visit happened a day or two later.

Unless they decided after fixing the sink that they wanted to come and check the rest of the unit to ensure it wasn’t a future problem. They could have been connected,

However, this doesn’t change the fact that you should have been notified that they needed to work on the drain. I know I just stayed and there was notice in the room that people would be in the rooms working on doing preventative maintenance on the trundle beds. Maybe they assumed this would suffice?

Welcome to DVC. One would expect that DVC is a deluxe experience, it isn't. Things go wrong, stuff may be broken, rooms might not be maintained or cleaned as you would expect. The longer your ownership and the more stays you have, the greater the chance of things not being as expected.

Your best bet is to learn the ins and outs and know who to call and how things work. Often with the call centers taking all of your calls from the room, information is often lost in translation. If I remember correctly the Poly has some known drainage issues, AKV has some hot/cold water lines reversed, Aulani had a large sewage spill, and BWV has a broken elevator.

:earsboy: Bill

Please don't give up! I sometimes think that new owners get a "trial by fire" on their first stay. Our worst ever stay at WDW was our first as DVC members, 17 years ago. We too came home with mixed feelings. But now we're so glad we stuck with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!