Home resort for direct add-on

ray3127

Life goal = Quarterly vacation
We currently own 160 BLT, 200 BCV, and 125 VGC, and are considering a direct purchase add-on contract of 75 points. All of our current contracts are different use years, as we generally planned to use them all separately at 11 months. However, we want some additional flexibility to stay in larger rooms and/or for longer stays, and also to open up some more options at 7 months since studios are so hard to come by at 7 months. (DW and I both work in education, so we predominantly travel over Christmas/New Year's, mid-March, and June.)

While we would like to buy some more points to open up more options, we also want to buy them at somewhere we would want to stay. We bought DVC for the proximity to the parks, so the only resorts that interest us are the monorail & Epcot resort areas. Walkability is our top priority, which is why we bought where we did in the first place. But we would branch out to PVB/VGF, as they are close enough.

As for an add-on, we don't want to pay direct prices for BCV or BWV with the shorter contract length. We are happy with our BCV point amount anyway. So our options seem to be adding 75 at BLT and using them at BLT and/or as 'sleep-around' points, or adding 75 at a new resort, PVB or VGF, which would get us in at a couple hard-to-book resorts at 11 months, but also provide some flexibility with more points overall. Another option would be to add 50 at BLT and 25 at VGC, just to give us a bit more flexibility out there. With any add-on at a WDW resort, we would match the BLT use year.

I'm also going to wait for Riviera details to come out, just in case there's an incredibly compelling reason to buy there... I doubt that will happen, but if there are extra perks/benefits to owning there, the points chart is reasonable, and the Skyliner actually gets us to Epcot/HS in short order, then maybe... except I just remembered the resale restrictions. Nevermind.

Owning at the three resorts we do seems manageable, I'm not sure we need a fourth overall (and third at WDW). With enough points we can get 1-BRs at most places most of the year. I'm wrestling with this in my head and just wanted to write out my thought process. I know that the decision is personal and depends on what we want the most, but feedback from the DIS helps.

I'd go with 75 at BLT. Chances of getting direct points for VGC are very small, IMO. You could end up waiting a long time for those!

BLT has some really nice 1 bedrooms and 75 more points there wil give you the most points to easily use if you want to check out some other resorts at 7 months

The direct price on all those resorts is cra-cra. If those are the only ones that hold interest I'd simply select the one that is cheapest since the main reason is to get some of the benefits I'd assume. That's BLT and having more points there would not necessarily be a bad thing.

The direct price on all those resorts is cra-cra. If those are the only ones that hold interest I'd simply select the one that is cheapest since the main reason is to get some of the benefits I'd assume. That's BLT and having more points there would not necessarily be a bad thing.
Although I'm new to this DVC stuff, what @KAT4DISNEY says makes good sense to me... I think that's what I would do if we are ever in mind to add on.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do @ray3127 pixiedust:

Thanks for the feedback! As luck would have it, I received a phone call TODAY that 75 BLT points are currently available for me...

I emailed my guide yesterday to check in, and he told that 'the new system has DRAMATICALLY reduced the wait times' at sold out resorts. He also told me he could sell me PVB yesterday, and that BLT was coming soon (though it didn't sound like it would be this soon!). I also inquired about VGF & VGC, which he said would take some time, but wouldn't be too bad given the new system.

I do want to be a "full" member, as Pete has discussed on recent podcasts. We are also purchasing AP's within the next month, so there's a little savings there. Plus there are full 2018 points (dues free) that I can bank and then rent out to recover some of the cost (simply because our next unbooked trip would be December 2020). Together with the AP's that's about $1,500 back, or $20/point. I agree that the prices are cra-cra, but I don't see them coming down. If anything, the restrictions will get tighter, and the buy-in to be a "full" member will only increase. This seems like the safest way to get in for good.

I'm going to think about it for a few more days, but I think we will likely move forward with these BLT points. My only hang up is that if I'm going to spend the $, I'd kind of like to open up 11 month booking at another resort. But given our travel habits and 1-BR availability, I'm not sure that will be necessary.

Thanks again for your thoughts :)

Thanks for the feedback! As luck would have it, I received a phone call TODAY that 75 BLT points are currently available for me...

I emailed my guide yesterday to check in, and he told that 'the new system has DRAMATICALLY reduced the wait times' at sold out resorts. He also told me he could sell me PVB yesterday, and that BLT was coming soon (though it didn't sound like it would be this soon!). I also inquired about VGF & VGC, which he said would take some time, but wouldn't be too bad given the new system.

I do want to be a "full" member, as Pete has discussed on recent podcasts. We are also purchasing AP's within the next month, so there's a little savings there. Plus there are full 2018 points (dues free) that I can bank and then rent out to recover some of the cost (simply because our next unbooked trip would be December 2020). Together with the AP's that's about $1,500 back, or $20/point. I agree that the prices are cra-cra, but I don't see them coming down. If anything, the restrictions will get tighter, and the buy-in to be a "full" member will only increase. This seems like the safest way to get in for good.

I'm going to think about it for a few more days, but I think we will likely move forward with these BLT points. My only hang up is that if I'm going to spend the $, I'd kind of like to open up 11 month booking at another resort. But given our travel habits and 1-BR availability, I'm not sure that will be necessary.

:yay: @ray3127 It all seems to be falling into place nicely for you :) especially as you plan on buying Annual Passes soon. Buying direct IMHO is best for you at this moment as Disney won't be keeping you hanging about like they do us resale buyers. :D

Editing to be nosy :o and ask: Did your guide offer you a choice of Use Years?

If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been on the list for BLT? I am on the list and curious what the movement is. Tnx

:yay: @ray3127 It all seems to be falling into place nicely for you :) especially as you plan on buying Annual Passes soon. Buying direct IMHO is best for you at this moment as Disney won't be keeping you hanging about like they do us resale buyers. :D

Editing to be nosy :o and ask: Did your guide offer you a choice of Use Years?
Thanks! He did not offer me a choice, as I wanted to match my current BLT contract, which is October. He just told me he has the 75 October points available now. I think the new rules allow them to change the use year when selling contracts they've ROFR'd, so matching use year for them is no longer an issue.

If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been on the list for BLT? I am on the list and curious what the movement is. Tnx
About 60 days, it was mid-January when he put me on there. He did say that the new "inventory system" (which I believe is code for the new use year rules) is cutting wait times by about two-thirds already.

Thanks! He did not offer me a choice, as I wanted to match my current BLT contract, which is October. He just told me he has the 75 October points available now. I think the new rules allow them to change the use year when selling contracts they've ROFR'd, so matching use year for them is no longer an issue.

About 60 days, it was mid-January when he put me on there. He did say that the new "inventory system" (which I believe is code for the new use year rules) is cutting wait times by about two-thirds already.

Of course it is. By design.

Well, this is curious. I've been on the direct waitlist for BLT October since July.

Chances of getting direct points for VGC are very small, IMO. You could end up waiting a long time for those!
From our what it’s worth department, I asked to be put on the VGC waitlist last month and they said “no” - they had over 200 people on the list and weren’t adding any more. I wonder if this has changed now that DVC can change use years...

From our what it’s worth department, I asked to be put on the VGC waitlist last month and they said “no” - they had over 200 people on the list and weren’t adding any more. I wonder if this has changed now that DVC can change use years...
I'd bet not since it is a really small resort, meaning not that many points coming up for sale.

I would have added at BCV. Those Epcot resorts are going to be in high demand so that only owners will be able to book...I think. (also just stayed at BLT and wasn't wowed by it, lol)

Wonder if they have any BCV points available.

Wonder if they have any BCV points available.
At BCV there is a long waitlist and DVC's willingness to add new people to the list seemingly changes week by week. Or it may be determined by use year or existing ownership or whatever...I've just read of people both being added and being denied over the past three months.

Plus there are full 2018 points (dues free) that I can bank and then rent out to recover some of the cost (simply because our next unbooked trip would be December 2020)
Congrats! Others will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you will pay prorated dues from closing on the 2018 points. They will bill you :D.

Very interesting about the numerous others that where on the Oct BLT waitlist longer than I was.

I love BCV, but we have 200 points there already, that should totally cover our Epcot area stays.

We've (supposedly) been in the VGC waitlist since last July, and my guide told me he needed to go up the chain a couple levels to get me on it. He assures me that I'm still on it. I could see it opening up a bit with the new use year rules, despite it's size.

Lastly, I was very clear in my questioning with my guide on the dues (as I had the same suspicion). My guide assured me 2018 was dues free, and I get those since that's the use year we're currently in. I would start paying prorated dues on the 2019 points in April--so 9 months worth of dues for the full 2019 allocation. I'll follow up here if that is not the case!

What is the use year? We .Recently bought and paid pro rated dues for 2018, and full dues for 2019 . Sounds like it is a December use year, so you are still in 2018 until 12-01-2019, so it sound like you are paying pro rated 2018 dues, and full 2019 dues. You may want to call them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter