Homecomin'

hosler427

Mouseketeer
In the process of planning our trip we have went through various stages of dining plans. We started with thinking we would do the dining plan and moved on from that to allow some freedom. We moved to making one sit down reservation mid afternoon every day but even that has us locked down so we have came to this....We are doing 50's Prime Time out of tradition (we love it). And then my wife and I are each choosing one place to eat. The rest of our dining will be quick service/lounges, etc. My wife chose California Grill brunch.

My choice, as of now, is Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'. I have read nothing but great things about this place. My hesitance with going through with it is simple...I just keep going back to the fact that you can get fried chicken and mac and cheese anywhere. We are staying at Kidani Village and will go to the Sanaa lounge for bread service one night there but going Sanaa is another option. I also love Boma and wouldn't mind returning there. 'Ohana and Hoop Dee Doo are also options but we have been there. If we are only going to a couple sit downs I kind of want a new place. Olivia's Cafe for dinner is appealing to me as well. Just looking for general thoughts on Homecomin' and even the other places mentioned.

We love Homecomin'! Just because you can get fried chicken anywhere doesn't mean it won't be exceptional fried chicken (and we think it is!). I can't speak to the mac n cheese, but we liked everything we ordered and are looking forward to going back again soon.

We love Homecomin'! Just because you can get fried chicken anywhere doesn't mean it won't be exceptional fried chicken (and we think it is!). I can't speak to the mac n cheese, but we liked everything we ordered and are looking forward to going back again soon.

I just used fried chicken and mac and cheese as examples. Every review and comment I read echoes your thoughts which makes me think not to second guess it. I am a pretty adventurous eater so I think that drives my thoughts on this. Where I live, there is a pretty limited when it comes to culinary choices so I try to make up for that when I travel. Good food is good food though.

The service we got at Homecoming was fantastic! The drinks are creative and really, really good too. The desserts...OMG.

The fried chicken was great. The Mac and cheese is okay. I'd get it again but it is a baked version and not a saucy cheesy type, so be aware. I prefer the baked kind myself but my son wouldn't have liked it.

I would keep Homecoming. Unless you like Mexican, in which case maybe try Frontera.

We are booked at Homecomin' in December. I am really excited about it. I am hoping it will be authentic to Fl / southern USA recipes etc. So I can try things the way they are meant to taste!
Plus the moonshine flight...

We're booked there on our July and November trips and are really looking forward to it. Can't wait to try the deviled eggs!:goodvibes

In the process of planning our trip we have went through various stages of dining plans. We started with thinking we would do the dining plan and moved on from that to allow some freedom. We moved to making one sit down reservation mid afternoon every day but even that has us locked down so we have came to this....We are doing 50's Prime Time out of tradition (we love it). And then my wife and I are each choosing one place to eat. The rest of our dining will be quick service/lounges, etc. My wife chose California Grill brunch.

My choice, as of now, is Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'. I have read nothing but great things about this place. My hesitance with going through with it is simple...I just keep going back to the fact that you can get fried chicken and mac and cheese anywhere. We are staying at Kidani Village and will go to the Sanaa lounge for bread service one night there but going Sanaa is another option. I also love Boma and wouldn't mind returning there. 'Ohana and Hoop Dee Doo are also options but we have been there. If we are only going to a couple sit downs I kind of want a new place. Olivia's Cafe for dinner is appealing to me as well. Just looking for general thoughts on Homecomin' and even the other places mentioned.
If you live in a place with great fried chicken, I can understand stepping outside that comfort zone.

Now that a new BBQ place opened in my hometown, Polite Pig is off of our 'must try' list.

But visiting Homecoming is because your plans include Disney Springs. Boathouse is certainly a 'hot spot' right now. And we are 'eyeballing' Paddlefish too.

The plan you've outlined includes both O'Hana & Hoop Dee Doo. I'd likely be skipping one of these with all the better food options in Disney Springs.....assuming your plan includes Disney Springs.

We can't get fried chicken like that in CT! I wish we could! We ate there last summer and it was absolutely delicious!!! We booked another ADR for August, it's worth a stop for sure :)

Last edited:
If you live in a place with great fried chicken, I can understand stepping outside that comfort zone.

Now that a new BBQ place opened in my hometown, Polite Pig is off of our 'must try' list.

But visiting Homecoming is because your plans include Disney Springs. Boathouse is certainly a 'hot spot' right now. And we are 'eyeballing' Paddlefish too.

The plan you've outlined includes both O'Hana & Hoop Dee Doo. I'd likely be skipping one of these with all the better food options in Disney Springs.....assuming your plan includes Disney Springs.

Disney Springs is in our plan for one night. 'Ohana and Hoop Dee Doo are both family favorites as well so there are sentimental reasons for them. As nice as Boathouse and Paddlefish look, they just don't appeal to me for some reason. If we did something else in Disney Springs it would be Raglan Road, Frontera Cocina, or Morimoto

We can't get fried chicken like that in CT! I wish we could! We ate their last summer and it was absolutely delicious!!! We booked another ADR for August, it's worth a stop for sure :)

Nope, not here in CT!!! I am still thinking about that delicious chicken and fried green tomatoes!

Yes please go to Homecoming! The fried chicken and biscuits that we had were so yummy and the mojito I had was super refreshing. I attached some pictures so you would have a visual.

Attachments

• IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 73
Are we going on the same trip? :rotfl2:We too are staying at AKL and we are also stuck on wether to go to Homecoming or not. We went to DS last trip from AKL and the bus ride wasn't bad, so we can't use that as an excuse! And same deal, Paddlefish and Boathouse don't appeal to us but Morimoto and Homecoming do. And, almost every trip, we have to go to 50s Prime Time (my wife's favorite). And we try to do one TS everyday and the rest QS, and we usually do lunch for the TS.

We love Sanaa too and we are already going there, and we love Boma for breakfast and doing that as well so our "new" TS we are going to try this trip is Jiko. Looking at the menu (or, should I say, looking at the prices!) if we split an appetizer, just get cokes, and don't go crazy on the entree it won't be too bad. There's a chicken for about $33 and a vegetarian option for $29.

I also feel the same way about food selections. We're from the Southwest so stuff with Western themes and southern comfort food are fine, but we kinda see it and eat it all the time? It's part of why we love AKL and the Polynesian, we get to experience a culture or a place we don't see everyday and that adds to the magic for us.

But, all that being said, I would eat at Homecoming in a second!! :cool1:

Disney Springs is in our plan for one night. 'Ohana and Hoop Dee Doo are both family favorites as well so there are sentimental reasons for them. As nice as Boathouse and Paddlefish look, they just don't appeal to me for some reason. If we did something else in Disney Springs it would be Raglan Road, Frontera Cocina, or Morimoto
Raglan Road is a fun spot. Nothing wrong with their food. If Hoop Dee Doo works well for your family, Ragaln Road is a variation of that fun-filled theme. We are 'testing' our child out for a fun-filled meal at Biergarten before Candlelight Processional.

We stopped in for lunch at Frontera Cocina maybe a week or two after they opened. I'd seen Chef Bayless on TV for many years and was not surprised his food was very good. Ambiance was a bit 'cold' though, but you can warm up with tequila.

Morimoto may be the greatest Iron Chef ever.....but the inconsistent reviews of Morimoto Disney have me scratching my head. We happen to get very good Chinese cuisine where I live (not far from NYC), so we've not felt a need to go here. If my father returns to Disney - he'll insist on both dim sum and Peking Duck (we're doing that this weekend while he is visiting NY). And while we're fine with sushi, we also have the luxury of dining at CA Grill once each stay and typically have sushi there (and/or to-go from Kimono's when staying at Swolphin). But if I could not get good Chinese cuisine and/or sushi where I lived - I'd be eating here.

Definitely go to Homecoming! We ate there this past January, and it was fantastic! This will take you to my dining review of it if you wanted to see more pictures of the amazing food :)

IMG_6078.JPG I wasn't too impressed with Homecoming this past October, but I'm hoping to revisit the restaurant this coming August. I however LOVED Frontera Cocina. I also creepily snuck a picture of Rick Bayless while there (he was hosting some event by the bar).

We'll be eating at Homecomin' in October (cancelled an Ohana dinner to try it). We can get fried chicken here, sure, but I liked the reviews and the menu combos looked interesting. Have also heard great things about Boathouse in DS also.

I haven't been to Homecomin' yet & I know it has a great reputation but if what you're after is a unique experience & menu, I recommend Raglan Road. There's entertainment inside or out on the patio & I have never had one bad thing on the menu (coupled with great drinks, this one is my go to at DS).

Sanaa is another one of my favorites so you can't go wrong there. But honestly, I prefer it just for bread service, the view of the savanna & they have amazing soups. I got the entree that is popular there w/the choice of a veggie & a meat dish but I've had much better at local Indian take out places by my house.

Access to amazing food of this type - literally within walking distance of my house - not to mention if I actually wanted to get in a car for a fraction of this restaurant makes it a nope for me. I'd rather eat places in a setting that's unique to WDW. I live in Nashville - we know a thing or 2 about fried chicken, we had a Hot Chicken festival today - so I have 0 interest in eating that when I'm out town. Conversely, we have one good proper deli in the entire town, I could eat bagels and lox for breakfast every morning for weeks! Go someplace with either an interesting setting, or food that isn't as common where you live. Like PPs said, they don't have access to this kind of food. I don't have access to perfect Philly cheesesteaks...we all want what we can't easily have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter