Homemade items confiscated?

Nebula

Mouseketeer
My aunt is making hats for each member of our party with our favorite characters cross-stitched on them. Her friend who used to work for Disney said they might get confiscated? Is this true? Here's one of the hats for reference:

thumbnail

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-4_22-23-40.png
    upload_2017-12-4_22-23-40.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 424
Not true. Who would confiscate them? I can’t believe someone who worked for Disney would suggest this. The brand police aren’t out and about ruining guests’ days by confiscating their homemade Disney clothing.

People sell things online with characters’ likenesses on them and Disney doesn’t even go after these sellers (although I have heard some accounts of crackdowns on this.)

Don’t worry about wearing homemade gear in the parks.

Why would they? People buy all kinds of custom shirts from Etsy for their entire family. They don't have time to enforce copyright law! I feel like sometimes people who used to be CMs mean well but they may not be up to date on policy or may have misunderstood/misremembered something from their training years ago.

Why would they? People buy all kinds of custom shirts from Etsy for their entire family. They don't have time to enforce copyright law! I feel like sometimes people who used to be CMs mean well but they may not be up to date on policy or may have misunderstood/misremembered something from their training years ago.

They absolutely do go after the Etsy sellers - more than one has received a cease-and-desist letter. It seems to go in waves.

That said, I agree that there is absolutely no issue with wearing those items in the park. As others have mentioned, they are going after those profiting off of licensed images, not people making a few personal items and wearing them in the parks. Absolutely no issue there. Wear those hats proudly and have fun!

They don't have time to enforce copyright law!

Well, I mean, they do and thenot behave to. (I know they do for trademark at least, or they could actually lose it...having a SIL working as a trademark attorney, nay, partner, at a top 5 firm is truly so useful)

But a hand-cross-stictched hat made for a family member isn’t going to hit that mark.

And a random CM at Wdw isn’t the one that’s going to do it.

It’s been a while since I’ve been up on copyright issues (it was a topic in some of the graphic arts classes I took) but I believe using copyrighted images for your own personal, non-commercial use falls under fair use clauses along with education, satire, and some other uses. I don’t believe they would even have the right to confiscate them. Selling them is a different matter.

I made my own buttons for our honeymoon and the cast members LOVED them. :)

They absolutely do go after the Etsy sellers - more than one has received a cease-and-desist letter. It seems to go in waves.

That said, I agree that there is absolutely no issue with wearing those items in the park. As others have mentioned, they are going after those profiting off of licensed images, not people making a few personal items and wearing them in the parks. Absolutely no issue there. Wear those hats proudly and have fun!

That's my point though, it's not on the buyer usually. Plus we're talking regular, often front line employees who have other concerns to worry about.

Well, I mean, they do and thenot behave to. (I know they do for trademark at least, or they could actually lose it...having a SIL working as a trademark attorney, nay, partner, at a top 5 firm is truly so useful)

But a hand-cross-stictched hat made for a family member isn’t going to hit that mark.

And a random CM at Wdw isn’t the one that’s going to do it.

Right, my point is the front line CM isn't going to be responsible for that.

My friend makes disney applique/monogram stuff that we've worn to the parks many times. No one has ever said a word about it except strangers asking where they could buy them!

If they did confiscate these items, every 10-20 member family group would be walking topless throughout the park without their "2017 Smith Family Disney Trip" shirts with Mickey on the front.
There is a difference. Most of the shirts don't have a copyright image. If you blatantly pull a copyright image from online and then sell it then it is a copyright issue.

One thing to be careful of ... don't pre-ask them for permission. I was in a group that wanted to make badges for people to wear to recognize each other (not sold, just given to each person). They were going to be stylized Mickey ears on a pin. The person sent an email to someone at the park to check that it was ok, and the response that came back said essentially "Well, if you hadn't asked, it would be fine. But since you asked, we have to protect our copyright and say no."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter