Honey they shrunk Cooke's menu & other observations from a Nov. 17 trip update 1/9 The End

20171116_081731-jpg.292308

The French Toast with Ham. I like French Toast (DH's ,our local Diners and the ones my Dad made) but not the usual WDW version .But this was different . It's thick slices of Baguette with a Cinnamon Sugar coating. It was great but very sweet. We were glad we shared. There was someone making them at the station so it didn't seem they were sitting under a heat lamp for an extended period ( unlike a few years ago). The two containers are the fruit topping and maple syrup ( more on those in the trip recap).
Wow, these looks awesome!!!! I've never seen anything like it before. Go POFQ! Extra points for originality

These booth look and sound delicious. I think I may actually have some drool escaping my mouth:-) We've never had a chance to try the sandwiches, but now most definitely will. Homecoming is definitely a must-do!

Wow, these looks awesome!!!! I've never seen anything like it before. Go POFQ! Extra points for originality

These booth look and sound delicious. I think I may actually have some drool escaping my mouth:-) We've never had a chance to try the sandwiches, but now most definitely will. Homecoming is definitely a must-do!

The only thing I have seen close to this French Toast was in an article in Southern Living years ago :-). Not the normal version at the local South Jersey Diners or Jersey Shore Pancake houses.
I am so glad we went back to Homecomin' for lunch ( & so was DH). The sandwiches are a great option to have even at dinner if you had a big lunch.

Day 7 11/16 The Boathouse dinner

We got back to POFQ and went down to the pool for the last time :sad:. A shout out for the bar staff at POFQ ( inside and outside). They are great, friendly & really good at remembering the beer you drink.:drinking1. The only sad part was that Shelley, who has been there on most of our trips , was off that week.
Today I changed it up for the last pool bar beverage and got a Margarita on the Rocks. They made a good one.
After a couple of hours we said goodbye to pool time and got ready to head up to DS.
A few days early DH asked about getting The Boathouse and thanks to Open Table we got a reservation. ( we were going to try walkup figuring we could eat at the bar or go elsewhere if the wait was too long).
To start we got a Casear Salad & Lobster Bisque.20171116_180850.jpg
20171116_180859.jpg
The salad was good , lettuce was fresh & crisp and it wasn't swimming in dressing.
The Bisque while not as good as the one at YSH ( which is only behind ones we got at Emeril's Fish House & Delominco Vegas) was still wonderful. Could easily see having this and some appetizers for lunch. I believe tonight's Chardonnay was a Kendall Jackson but not sure. It was good ;).
A word about the rolls, splendid, they had a sweet glaze on the top and I am glad they only brought a few as I could have eaten more. ( I 'm sure we could have asked for more).
And now for the mains
20171116_181841.jpg
20171125_202423.jpg
Coconut Shrimp with Fries( me) and Shrimp & Andouille Sausage Mac n Cheese (DH).
The Cocount Shrimp came with an Orange Chilli sauce which had a bit of spice. The Shrimp were jumbo and the coconut batter was sweet but not heavy or greasy.
The fries were hot and not greasy or undercooked which makes them good in my book.
The Shrimp Sausage Mac n Cheese was was one of DH's favorites this trip. He says he would order just the Mac n Cheese as a side with another entree , he liked it that much . I got a piece of the sausage which was was mildly hot.
Now for the only downside of the dinner... it was rushed. We barely finished the soup & salad when the entrees appeared. I thought maybe it was me ( rushed TS as it is a pet WDW peeve of mine) but DH had the same opinion. The only other Signature restaurant we have done was YSH. So while we didn't expected it to be quite like YSH but it felt more like a TS in a park restaurant where they are backed up at dinner time. We would go back since we enjoyed the food so much but would draw out the ordering if going for dinner. Most likely lunch isn't as rushed.
Coming next a few photos, our last breakfast and a recap.

Looks like a great meal at Boathouse. We tried it on our last trip and enjoyed it too, though funny until you'd mentioned it I'd forgotten it was a signature restaurant. We definitely enjoyed the food, but it certainly wasn't in the signature category. Looking back I'm not sure Boathouse knows what it wants to me. i think the rushed service is likely a testament to a large chain wanting to turn tables as quickly as possible, vice a true signature restaurant that sees dining as an experience vice simply a meal.

Looks like a great meal at Boathouse. We tried it on our last trip and enjoyed it too, though funny until you'd mentioned it I'd forgotten it was a signature restaurant. We definitely enjoyed the food, but it certainly wasn't in the signature category. Looking back I'm not sure Boathouse knows what it wants to me. i think the rushed service is likely a testament to a large chain wanting to turn tables as quickly as possible, vice a true signature restaurant that sees dining as an experience vice simply a meal.
When DH comments on feeling at a restaurant rushed I know it was bad.

Last edited:
Day 8 Friday 11/17 It 's over and final observations

Today was checkout day :sad:. After taking bags down to RAC at 6:30 :( we stopped for breakfast. The foodcourt doesn't start serving entrees until 7:00 am so we waited with our sodas ( neither of us do coffee). For breakfast we got the Mickey Waffle with Ham and the Big Easy Breakfast and split an OJ. The BEB came with Scrambled Eggs, Biscuit, Breakfast Potatoes and a choice of meat ( went with sausage it was better than bacon). The potatoes were a cheesey casserole and were pretty good as were the Scrambled Eggs. The fact I was the 2nd person in line may have helped. Not sure how they might taste an hour or so later. The biscuit was like the Pillsbury ones I make out of the can. So it was good.
Sorry no photo but I did get a few the night before at POFQ, DS & that morning
20171116_184956.jpg
20171116_190413.jpg
20171117_060847.jpg
20171117_072156.jpg
20171117_072311.jpg
We were the first day of the 4 hour DME pickup so after breakfast it was back to clear out the room and get to DME for the 8:15 bus. For the first time we didn' t stop at another resort, usually we stopped at OKW and/ or SSR. So we had plenty of time at MCO but after a trip a few years ago when we spent almost an hour in line for TSA I am not complaining.
Now for the recap.
Our biggest surprise was how good lunch was at Crew's Cup. Depending on what was is on the menu, we will be stopping by there at lunch on the next trip

The disappointment was the new POFQ food court. I am fine with the decorations ( glad they dumped the big masks, it made the place cramp & dark).They got rid of some food things I liked, the make your own Yogurt Parfait & the fresh fruit with waffles replaced with a syrupy fruit thing( blueberry all week). Not a fan of maple syrup served in a Dixie cup, it was about 3xs what we would use. I understand for cleaning they got rid of the syrup dispenser but maybe there is a middle way.
And the Ice Tea dispenser only had sweet and unsweetened. It used to have a citrus white tea & another flavored tea. The Grab n Go in the middle of the food area isn't big enough. It was running low of yogurt, milk , juice and fruit during the breakfast rush and a CM was trying to fill it up in the middle of a bunch of people checking out. . For being shut down 4 months I was hoping for more. But then I want Bonfamille's TS back at POFQ and Boatwright's to bring back breakfast.

As for our servers they went from excellent to good.
Best was Oscar at YSH followed in a tie with Isa at CP and Joanne at Mama Melrose.When your worst server experience is the lady at WPE forgot the grated cheese for your pizza ,well talk about 1st World problems.

Now to the food. We both agreed we did not have a bad meal . Of course some stood out but there was no place we would not go back to based on the food. The only place we may not visit again is Cooke's due only to the very limited menu not the quality of the food.. GFC with it's mix of breakfast/ lunch will be a last minute ( or day before)decision if that's what we think want to eat for lunch and we are in the area
Our favorite TS meal was YSH followed by Homecomin ', & Boathouse. Polite Pig was a great surprise & will be on a return trip and of course Mama Melrose unless the menu is changed ( looking at you Chef's de France). And as long as I can get an ADR for a CP breakfast it is a must.
WPE will always be in the rotation. I am looking forward to the new Puck TS ( which will be his group not Levy's) and Jose Andres new TS , both in DS.
So thanks to everyone reading along. When we go back I will return with another report. Until then I will be enjoying other reports.
Live Long and Prosper everyone.
20180109_213928.jpg

Awesome report Nancy! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I can't wait to try Crew Cup on our next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!