Horrer Make-up Show for 11 year old?

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
DS does not watch horror movies but he has an interest in sculpture and art and digital effects. Is the show mostly just gross out? Or is it fun and informative?

Anyone have stories to tell of their experience at the show with older elementary school kids?

Thanks!

It's both. There are definitely educational elements (that I think are actually pretty neat!) but there's absolutely a gross-out factor too... and a few adult-geared jokes, IIRC. That being said, my 13yo and 10yo thought it was pretty entertaining!!! :-)

They'll be fine - its kind of "gore meets comedy"
If you're at all worried, sit in the back.

be sure to arrive early to check out all of the great exhibits/movie memorabilia int he lobby

is not scary, I took my toddler just to be away from the heat, not knowing what to expect from the show, and is a nice way to take a break and learn a couple of things

We brought our (then) 9 year old a few years back. He's never seen a horror movie in his life--but he loved it! There were a few jokes gearedmore to the adults in the audience that went completely over his head (as intended). It's funny and informative.

like people have said it's basically half and half in terms of informative/gross-out. they actually discuss some really interesting classic special effects alongside their banter, so it's pretty informative! but if either of you are squeamish, you should probably skip it. several jokes in the show rely on young children being in the audience, so they certainly don't discourage it, hehehe

My 11-year-old isn't particularly sensitive, does fine in PG13 movies, etc, but I think I would steer clear with him. Something about watching it live could be more intense than a movie.

It really depends on your child...my 12 year old DD was really freaked out and did NOT enjoy it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^....says all that needs saying. You know your child better than anyone else. Mine were never bothered by it...just didn't care for it. I love it and go once a day, while visiting.

My 10 yo DD covered her eyes during the film parts, just so she would not get scared by something, but she liked the live parts.

My oldest thought it was OK, didn't love the show (he was 12 at the time), my middle child thought it was fun, we see it together every time. My youngest was 8 the first time we went, he has never liked fake blood/guts/gore. Even on his Halloween costumes. He hasn't wanted to see it again after the first time (and his head was buried in my shoulder for most of the show...we would have snuck out, but we were in the middle of the row & it was pouring rain outside, so he said he wouldn't watch.)

it would be perfect for that age child. Make sure you sit in the front row (about 10th seat in from the entrance door) :)

I'm a regular visitor with APs and for whatever reason I usually skip this show,before my visit today I hadnt seen this show in years.I saw it today and I barely remembered it and all I keep asking myself is why did I always pass on this show,it was awesome,probably more comedy than anything else mixed with horror movie clips and the portions onstage showing how some characters and props are created for the movies.I don't know what was wrong with me,I'll probably watch this every time I visit now.

The majority of kids that age would be fine. Most 8 year olds would even be fine. I have an 8 year old who is not fine with it. So, if you don't have a hunch that your kid is the exception, then I'd go for it. The actual scary parts are mainly the movie clips. My 8 year old has freaked out during that twice now and had to leave the theater. (We tried more than a year apart). My other two kids easily handled it well before 11. They would have been fine with it at any age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!