Hotel advice (pools)

REEREEG

Mouseketeer
We will spend the first half of our vacation with relatives at Polynesian or Animal kingdom lodge. That part will be go go go & exhausting. Then my daughter and I will spend the rest of the week together. I'm trying to pick where to stay then. We will probably spend a good amount of time relaxing at the hotel and swimming during that time so probably want at least a slide & probably a hot tub. We stayed at Pop Century & then Yacht club last time and loved Yacht club but I'm hoping for less expensive. What would you suggest?

The Swan/Dolphin might be a lower priced alternative to the YC and still is in a great location with a nice pool and comfortable rooms.

In the moderate price range, whichever of the Port Orleans resorts with the theme that you like would be a good choice.

POR had a nice pool, but I hear Poly dies as well. The AoA pool has nice theming that may appeal to that age group.

I would recommend AKL. If you will be doing a lot of "resort time" there is a lot to do with the activities plus looking at the animals from various points of the hotel. AKL is usually one of the cheapest Deluxe resorts, and you don't even need to have a Savanna view to have animals right outside your balcony! You will have access to the pools at both Jambo and Kidani, and both have slides.

If you’re looking to have a hot tub then you have to be at a moderate resort or better as values (such as AoA) do not have hot tubs. This category also includes a slide at the pool.

If you’d like a splash pad type area then you’d want to look at a deluxe as I’m pretty sure this is a standard inclusion at these resorts in addition to the hot tub and slide.

The Poly has a great pool area and is a lot of fun in addition to being the more relaxing of the two (in my opinion at least) when comparing to AKL.

Since you are going for less expensive I would recommend CSR. Great pool/slide and hot tub,
Any way of switching the resorts so that the less expensive is when you're with family? Poly or AKL would be the better choice for the relaxing days. IMHO it's just better to be in the cheaper resort when your going commando and then the nicer resort for the relaxing.

WL is really nice and one of the less expensive deluxes. Or, maybe a mod. POR and PORFQ have a boat to Disney Springs for dining and shopping.

We will spend the first half of our vacation with relatives at Polynesian or Animal kingdom lodge. That part will be go go go & exhausting. Then my daughter and I will spend the rest of the week together. I'm trying to pick where to stay then. We will probably spend a good amount of time relaxing at the hotel and swimming during that time so probably want at least a slide & probably a hot tub. We stayed at Pop Century & then Yacht club last time and loved Yacht club but I'm hoping for less expensive. What would you suggest?
I don't get why you're spending the go go go portion of your trip at a deluxe, then want to spend the resort & pool-centered portion of your trip somewhere cheaper. You should do the opposite. Do the go go go while staying at Pop, then stay at Poly or AKL during your week to relax and swim. They both have great pools and food.

Thanks for the suggestions - I did want to do cheaper at the beginning and nicer at the end (that's what we did last time - Pop and then Yacht club) but the people we are going with in the beginning are go-go-go and they want to stay at Poly or AKL. if money weren't an option I would do yacht club or stay at poly or akl but I that gets too expensive I think.

Thanks for the suggestions - I did want to do cheaper at the beginning and nicer at the end (that's what we did last time - Pop and then Yacht club) but the people we are going with in the beginning are go-go-go and they want to stay at Poly or AKL. if money weren't an option I would do yacht club or stay at poly or akl but I that gets too expensive I think.
I would just stay where I wanted to at the beginning, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of stuff other than staying at the (expensive) hotel. Don't let them boss you into it.

It's really a waste of money if you will mainly be at the parks.

I agree- would never pay high resort prices if not there to enjoy the resort!
Keep in mind though that only paying guests of resorts can enjoy the pool, so if you're not with your relatives that may be an issue.
CS would be my moderate recommendation- the pool is great.

Would you be able to just stay at a cheaper resort and then just meet up with the others at whichever park your going to in the morning? To me that would make more sense than spending money on a deluxe and not using the amenities. Maybe just tell the relatives that is what works best for you and your daughter. If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could take a day or even a half day to just enjoy the pool with you daughter. Might be a nice break from all the go-go-go, and at least you could spend a little time at the deluxe resort.

If your stuck keeping the plan as is then I'd go with CSR for the 2nd half of your trip. I think you and your daughter would really enjoy the pool there. The construction there would be less intrusive than at CBR and for my family the pools at POR&POFQ are just not up to par with the other resorts.

Would you be able to just stay at a cheaper resort and then just meet up with the others at whichever park your going to in the morning? To me that would make more sense than spending money on a deluxe and not using the amenities. Maybe just tell the relatives that is what works best for you and your daughter. If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could take a day or even a half day to just enjoy the pool with you daughter. Might be a nice break from all the go-go-go, and at least you could spend a little time at the deluxe resort.

If your stuck keeping the plan as is then I'd go with CSR for the 2nd half of your trip. I think you and your daughter would really enjoy the pool there. The construction there would be less intrusive than at CBR and for my family the pools at POR&POFQ are just not up to par with the other resorts.

What about POR/POFQ pools don't you like?

We've stayed at both POR and POFQ. It was just DH and I so we loved the small pools at POR because they weren't crowded, but they don't have much as far as atmosphere. We didn't use the main pool at POR, but liked the pool at POFQ. The good thing about Port Orleans is you can use the pools at both resorts. So this gives you lots of pool options at a moderate price. POFQ has a hot tub and we were able to be in it without many others in it.

If your relatives aren’t paying for you to stay at Poly or AKL, then I agree with the others, and tell them that doesn’t work for you. It sounds like they’re Park commandos open to close, and aren’t planning and resort time. With a bit of pre-planning and cell phones it’s easy to coordinate and meet at a park.

Id book value or moderate at beginning of trip, then move to a deluxe at end of trip when your planning more resort time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!