Hotels on way to Fort that accommodate camper parking

Michael T

Earning My Ears
Checking in at Fort May 24th, which is Memorial Weekend. Trying to find a campground for may 23 for 1 night, and finish trip next day.
All campgrounds have a 3 day limit because of Holiday. So if I cant find a camp site for 1 night, thinking would just stay in a Hotel.
My question is does anyone know of a hotel that I can stay in and be able to park my camper overnight?

Oh I guess it would help to give you my route. Will be traveling from Louisiana to Fort on I-10. Would
like to stay somewhere on the east side of Tallahassee, FL. to give me about 3 hours traveling on last day

If you don’t get a specific from someone, google maps! I do this each time driving to FL from CT to see which parking lots look capable. So far has worked out well..

If you don’t get a specific from someone, google maps! I do this each time driving to FL from CT to see which parking lots look capable. So far has worked out well..
Have not thought about that, great suggestion. But if someone has real world experience, please let me know.

From Tallahassee, are you continuing on via I-10 to I-75, or are you going down the back way through Perry?

Not sure how far down you will be on the 23rd, but there are some Orange county parks that do not have a minimum (at least for non holidays, Goggle or call for answer), try Trimble park in Mt Dora or Moss park in Orlando.

Traveling I-10 to I-75, never went the back way through Perry. Would that be something I should consider?

That's the way we go most of the time. It ends up being about 30 mins longer but less 'white knuckle driving'. We live up in the FL panhandle area and drive I-10 to 19, etc. We don't feel like we have to fight with the Semis and crazy drivers as much, lol! Plus, there's usually an accident somewhere along I-75 that slows things down.

We normally leave the afternoon before we want to be at the Fort and stay somewhere along Crystal River. Then we only have about 2 hrs or so to get into FW the next morning. Manatee Springs State Park is one place we've stayed. It's only about $27 a night. Last weekend, we stayed at Gulf Coast RV Park. With Passport America, it was only $15 for the night. Clean campground and easy to get into after dark. There are lots of RV parks along that area.

We've stayed at the Tallahassee RV park numerous times when we go to visit family. I've never stayed there for one night, but it can't hurt to give them a call. They're right off of 10 about 1/2 mile up the road.
http://tallahasseervpark.com/
EDIT: Sorry, I completely bypassed the hotel question and jumped on the campground bandwagon. I don't have any hotel info for you.

Not sure how far down you will be on the 23rd, but there are some Orange county parks that do not have a minimum (at least for non holidays, Goggle or call for answer), try Trimble park in Mt Dora or Moss park in Orlando.
most of them don't it just because of Memorial weekend, but will give it a try thanks

That's the way we go most of the time. It ends up being about 30 mins longer but less 'white knuckle driving'. We live up in the FL panhandle area and drive I-10 to 19, etc. We don't feel like we have to fight with the Semis and crazy drivers as much, lol! Plus, there's usually an accident somewhere along I-75 that slows things down.

We normally leave the afternoon before we want to be at the Fort and stay somewhere along Crystal River. Then we only have about 2 hrs or so to get into FW the next morning. Manatee Springs State Park is one place we've stayed. It's only about $27 a night. Last weekend, we stayed at Gulf Coast RV Park. With Passport America, it was only $15 for the night. Clean campground and easy to get into after dark. There are lots of RV parks along that area.
I will look into that route, thanks for the heads up

The Holiday Inn at Perry Florida will accomodate an RV. We pull a 40' 5th wheel & stay there on the way down from Indiana. That plus the route down via US19/US27A to the 20 miles or so on I-75 to the Turnpike isn't too bad.

The Holiday Inn at Perry Florida will accomodate an RV. We pull a 40' 5th wheel & stay there on the way down from Indiana. That plus the route down via US19/US27A to the 20 miles or so on I-75 to the Turnpike isn't too bad.
sounds good thanks for the info

So most take Hwy 19 instead of I-75? Where do you meet with I-75 off of 19?

I for one do not take Hwy 19. It does add time and IMO the all-interstate travel is really not that bad. I've made it once or twice a year for 20 years (sometimes more often-ugh).

On my route south from Alabama, I pick up I-10 between P-cola and Tallahassee. That stretch is very easy because other than Tallahassee, it's a whole lot of nothin' till you swing south on I-75. Even Lake City has never been bad for me. Gainesville is busy but I usually stay in my lane. If you take the Hwy 19 route, you eventually join I-75 by the time you get to Ocala where I have encountered back-ups and slow-downs at times from O to the Turnpike for no apparent reasons but that stretch is common to either route.

Also personally I like rubber necking on I-75 because between all the pick-up trucks, campers, and rv's headed in both directions, there is always something to look at so the trip feels like it goes quickly.

To each his own. I don't feel like adding more time to my drive when the interstate route is easier for me.

Also, Michael T, some folks pull into the Interstate Rest Stops on I-10 and I-75 and catch a few hour's sleep which is permitted. It's boondocking/dry camping and they do have live security throughout the evenings. I don't do it because it doesn't fit my timetable but others on here do/have. The time of year you'll be traveling, though, might be too warm in the evening for boondocking like that. And since you're asking about campgrounds, you're probably looking for a place to back in and plug in but I thought I would throw that out there.

Bama Ed

I’ve used CCC campground just west of Tallahassee my last couple trips from NO. The last trip we stayed there thanksgiving night and there was no holiday minimum for that weekend. So you may want to try them.

It’s a mile off I10. There’s pilot/flying J/Love’s within a couple stops in either direction. And I’ve always been able to pull in with. 30’ TT and stay hooked up to the truck for the night.

used to do the state parks in that area, found this in a pinch when one of those closed for flooding. Decided it was worth the extra $5 for the easier interstate access.

I for one do not take Hwy 19. It does add time and IMO the all-interstate travel is really not that bad. I've made it once or twice a year for 20 years (sometimes more often-ugh).

On my route south from Alabama, I pick up I-10 between P-cola and Tallahassee. That stretch is very easy because other than Tallahassee, it's a whole lot of nothin' till you swing south on I-75. Even Lake City has never been bad for me. Gainesville is busy but I usually stay in my lane. If you take the Hwy 19 route, you eventually join I-75 by the time you get to Ocala where I have encountered back-ups and slow-downs at times from O to the Turnpike for no apparent reasons but that stretch is common to either route.

Also personally I like rubber necking on I-75 because between all the pick-up trucks, campers, and rv's headed in both directions, there is always something to look at so the trip feels like it goes quickly.

To each his own. I don't feel like adding more time to my drive when the interstate route is easier for me.

Also, Michael T, some folks pull into the Interstate Rest Stops on I-10 and I-75 and catch a few hour's sleep which is permitted. It's boondocking/dry camping and they do have live security throughout the evenings. I don't do it because it doesn't fit my timetable but others on here do/have. The time of year you'll be traveling, though, might be too warm in the evening for boondocking like that. And since you're asking about campgrounds, you're probably looking for a place to back in and plug in but I thought I would throw that out there.

Bama Ed
The 2 other times I camped at fort I would travel it in one day, leave my house at 2:00 A.M which i prefer and get to the fort around 5:00. This time we are leaving a day early to split it up in 2 days. That is the reason for either campsite or hotel. 1st day would travel 8 to 10 hours and finish trip next morning. The boondocking would not be an option traveling with grandkids. LOL

I’ve used CCC campground just west of Tallahassee my last couple trips from NO. The last trip we stayed there thanksgiving night and there was no holiday minimum for that weekend. So you may want to try them.

It’s a mile off I10. There’s pilot/flying J/Love’s within a couple stops in either direction. And I’ve always been able to pull in with. 30’ TT and stay hooked up to the truck for the night.

used to do the state parks in that area, found this in a pinch when one of those closed for flooding. Decided it was worth the extra $5 for the easier interstate access.
That is exactly what I am looking for, don't know if it would be any difference between Thanksgiving and Memorial weekend. The ones I have checked were all 3 day minimum. but will call CCC, Thanks

Michael T, can't say much to your original question concerning hotel parking lots but as mentioned, a Google Earth "look" could reveal some hotels that would fit your need. Concerning the Hwy 19/27 route … it is a "shorter" route but will take longer since you will be passing through some small communities/towns/cities, and fuel stops may be somewhat difficult while pulling your rig. This past Christmas week, we stayed one night about 60 miles east of Tallahassee at https://www.ragansfamilycampground.com/. If I remember correctly, it was about 50 bucks for the night with full hook-ups. The campground is easy on/off of I-10 and used to be a Jellystone Park affiliate. Fairly nice place for an over-nighter.

Michael T, can't say much to your original question concerning hotel parking lots but as mentioned, a Google Earth "look" could reveal some hotels that would fit your need. Concerning the Hwy 19/27 route … it is a "shorter" route but will take longer since you will be passing through some small communities/towns/cities, and fuel stops may be somewhat difficult while pulling your rig. This past Christmas week, we stayed one night about 60 miles east of Tallahassee at https://www.ragansfamilycampground.com/. If I remember correctly, it was about 50 bucks for the night with full hook-ups. The campground is easy on/off of I-10 and used to be a Jellystone Park affiliate. Fairly nice place for an over-nighter.
I have the same Disney decals on my back window of my camper as you do or did you take a picture of my camper. LOL
Ragans family campground is the 1st one i checked when looking. It has the 3 night minimum for that weekend, I will call them to see if all their overnight sites are booked. thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter