How do I order a birthday cake?

charabby

DIS Veteran
We'll be eating dinner at Chef Mickey's on 11/18 for my dd's 8th birthday. How do I go about ordering a cake for her? Do they even do that? For those that have been there, is a cake even necessary given the desserts they serve at the meal?

Thanks in advance!

Call the day before to order a cake. Or once you have them on the phone ask their opinion if you need a cake with the buffet.

I have called the CG the day before we ate and they did a wonderful job!

Cheers,

Schuey

We celebrated ds's 7th special day there - no cake - there was way, way too much other fun going on and the dessert bar and the sundae bar were definitely enough. He loved being sung too and we had a cake delivered to our hotel room while we were gone. But if we had a cake there it would have been a waste. Kids just seem to like the hoopla and the fuss and the cake is - well - boring.

Hope she has a magical day!!! You might though check to see if she can receive a special birthday card from Minnie and Mickey - at age 12 in May our ds received one at the YC and still thought it was pretty cool.

Originally posted by charabby
We'll be eating dinner at Chef Mickey's on 11/18 for my dd's 8th birthday. How do I go about ordering a cake for her? Do they even do that? For those that have been there, is a cake even necessary given the desserts they serve at the meal?

Ordering cakes in general.
After you have your PS, and at least 48 hours before, call the resort and speak to the bakery. Tell them what you want to do and ask them what is the best way to order the cake, pay for the cake, and to make sure it will be delivered to the restaurant the night you are dining there. Different resorts have different procedures.
According to the instructions, place your order.
If the bakery takes the order directly, get the name of the person you spoke to and ask if they have any sort of Order #.
Then call the podium staff of the restaurant directly (it is best to call during their off hours, maybe 1/2 hour before they open, or the last 1/2 hour that they are opened). Tell them your PS#, and that you have a cake ordered and any other info. This way they can make a note in your PS about the cake, and they will make sure it is retrieved from the bakery.
It sounds like a lot of work, but please remember, WDW is a very BIG place with lots of Cast Members. There is nothing worse than walking up to the podium, checking in and then mentioning that you have a cake ordered and the podium staff and the restaurant is not aware of the order. Especially during very busy, peak times, they now have to scramble around looking and hoping that there is in fact a cake somewhere.

Aside from that, back to the original question, I really don't think a special cake is needed at Chef Mickey's. The dessert bar is fabulous and as GREAT as the Disney Cakes are, you will really not need it, and maybe you should plan the cake for another night.

Thanks everyone. I think we will skip a cake - it sounds like there is more than enough going on to make up for it.

You dont really need to order a cake, but when you make your PS mention to the CM that you are celebrating your child's birthday at Chef Mickeys and you like a birthday cupcake for him.
They will do cupcakes at no charge. Plus you will probably be too full to eat a whole cake anyway and who wants to carry that around with you?!
I ordered a cupcake when I made my PS for Cinderellas Gala Feast at 1900 Park Fare. We went in August and my daughter got a special plastic placemat with Cindy and friends including signatures and the server brought out the cupcake with a candle at the end of the meal.
I know I have seen them do that Chef Mickeys too-there you even get a song played for you (that was back in Oct 2001 so I dont know if that's changed)
Make sure you remind the hostess when you check in for your PS that you are celebrating a birthday in case it is not noted on the reservation.

I'm taking DH to Boma's for dinner 2/4/04 for his b-day...any special desserts I can order there? I'd like to have something made up with his name on it.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter