How do the UO hotels compare to the WDW resorts?

A1A1

DIS Veteran
I am still very torn, having never been to UO before, between staying at the Poly for two nights or taking a chance on something I know nothing about---a UO hotel.

How do the UO hotels compare to the WDW resorts. I have only stayed at GF, BWV, AKL, and CSR at WDW. I am familiar with most others.

What things are better at UO? What things are better at WDW? I am so comfortable with Disney service, and am afraid to be disappointed elsewhere.

And, I really love disney theming.

HELP! please.

UO hotels are far superior to Disney Resorts IMO.

First of all you receive EXPRESS ACCESS to every attraction, all day, every day! Disney Resorts give you no such benefits for staying on-site.

Second, you are within walking distance and a quick boat ride away from both parks and City Walk! At Disney you have to take the uncomfortable and always crowded buses back to your resort.

Universal offers greater discounts than the Disney luxury resorts.
You really cannot stay at any of the premium Disney hotels for $125-$175. Yet those rates are available at both Hard Rock Hotel and Portofino Bay hotel. Providing a higher level of service and quality than Disney resorts at a much lower price.

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure attractions feature the technological innovations that Disney used to be famous for.

Check out Terminator 2: 3D, Spiderman, Men In Black and Back To The Future to find out why Disney's outdated attractions pale in comparison.

I agree. The Portofino is FAR better than the best Disney resorts. I have stayed at the GF and WL and my husband has stayed at the Boardwalk as well. (I've also stayed at lesser Disney poperties, too.)

The Disney resorts DO have "magic" going for them, and I never thought I would want to stay offsite until we stayed at the Portofino about 6 months after it opened. Then I KNEW I would never go back.

Why?

1. The sheets. Oh my god, the sheets.

2. The subtle, tranquil decor.

3. The sense of of being allowed to be an adult, even if you're with kids. (One example: cabanas at the Villa Pool.)

4. Express Pass access is even better than Early Entry.

5. I don't feel like my hotel is a sightseeing stop for every Disny-holic. (Yet.)

6. Disney does everything to its own standards, some higher and some lower than others (i.e., food, lower; housekeeping at low-priced resorts, higher.) The Loews properties judge themselves against the competition for their service, amenities, etc. and are not content to be just the best Disney property. Their aim is to be compared to a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton.

Honestly, I would never go back to a Disney hotel, especially if they didn't reinstate Early Entry, which was what I missed most.

Let me now if you have any questions! I'm counting the days to go back to the Portofino for trip #7 4 weeks from today.

OMG They don't come close to Disney resorts! They are 10 times better!!!!!!!
What service are you talking about at Disney? Thyey give you a room, that's it! I've stayed at them all, I used to only stay at Disney, I got married at Disney but since I have stayed at a UNiversal resort I haven't been back to Disney!
Portofino IMHO is far superior to any Disney deluxes!
The beds, the comfortors,the sheets, the large bathrooms, the stereos in the rooms, the beautiful decor. You don't have to ask for robes, umbrellas, irons, cribs, hair dryers, coffee makers.
I'm sure I left out stuff!
When there aren't any pool chairs where you want them they move them for you! You know the last time I styaed at the YC & asked where I can get a lounge chair they told me that I can look just as easy for one as they can!:eek: Now at the YC I was paying $287.00 per night! Oh the rates, there are many substantial discounts available at Universal resorts!
Oh & did we all mention????
EXPRESS PASS INCLUDED FOR ALL ATRACTIONS W/ROOM! :)

From a passionate Disney lover: I wish Disney pampered me like Universal pampers its guests!

I will stay at both the HRH and the AKL in August, but this is what I'll miss: Express access to the rides, great pass rates (bought the 7 day, 2 park bonus pass for the price of two days), awesome rates (got $125/night through Entertainment - challenge Disney to give me 50% off anywhere!), walks to all the parks, and even courtesy transportation to other local attractions.

Universal gives you a great value for the money. But do not make the mistake of comparing the parks because they are like apples and oranges. I love both of them, for different reasons. I leave USF with this feeling wishing Disney differentiated between onsite and offsite guests, going beyond the occasional e-night here and there.

Wanda

Thanks to all for your kind posts. Jon, you did better this time.

I did make a ressie last night for Portofino Bay with a bay view. The rate was $170 plus tax. I read on this board about the Entertainment discount, and I mentioned it. The problem is now that I have to get a book somewhere. I think there was a website mentioned here previously. (Do you think the bay view is worth the extra, or is garden view just as nice for the littler price?)

So I am looking forward to trying something new. The trip isn't until August, so I'll be reading until then, and I'll let you know how I liked it. You all seemed certain that I will.

I've stayed at either the Portifino or Hard Rock a total of 3 times. I think the rooms are about the same. The main differences is the view that you get but I am only there at night so it really doesn't make a difference to me.

If you need to get an entertainment book I just saw that a Barnes and Noble Store has them. If you want to get it through the internet you can goto www.entertainment.com. You can order another city's book through there. If you go through the B & N you can only get your local book.

Express Pass access is even better than Early Entry.
Of course Universal can afford this luxury for its guests. It only has two hotels to deal with (3 very shortly), so I don't think it is fair to use this in an argument. Considering that Disney has a higher on-site capability. So the Express Pas for guests is a good thing. But FastPass is still far superior then Universal's version, from the perspective of an off-site guest. I think it all depends on where you stay and the experience you had. You might stay at Universal and been pampered or you might have had a horrible experience, the same holds true for Disney. I have a friend who has stayed at both the Portofino Suite and the GF Suite, and she says that the GF has the Portofino beat as far as service goes. You have to look at the occupancy also, 2 Universal hotels versus Disney's 18 plus resorts. I only go to Universal to go to IOA, I find the employees there to be extremely rude, have no personality, and very impatient.

Hi I have been to the website for loews but I was just wondering what type of room in the portofino hotel do most people ask for. There will be two adults and two teens. Thanks,

Deb.

HauntedMansion,

It is fair to use it because it's a major perk that Universal offers and Disney doesn't.

I honestly could care less about the logistics of why Disney can't offer it. The fact remains Universal is the only place where it truly pays to stay on site!!!

It is fair to use it because it's a major perk that Universal offers and Disney doesn't.
I think you missed my point. Universal can offer front of the line on every ride to their resort guests because there are only two hotels on-site. So their is a lower occupancy rate at Universal. So Universal can afford to let like 3,000 people to the front of the line that are staying on-site. But Disney can't afford that same luxury seeing as how they can close to 10,000 plus guests on-site. If Disney did this it would cause such a backup in their FastPass and stand-by lines. Quite a different number if you ask me! I can almost guarantee that when Universal finished construction on the future expansion of three hotels that this kind of perk will come to an end. As then there would be 6 hotels on-site and a lot more guests staying on-site. Give Universal a few years and I'm sure that there perks will begin to subside. Logistics has nothing to do with it. I look at Disney as a whole, I think they are a better totaly package then anything that Universal could ever offer. But that is a lengthy discussion that I don't feel like getting into right now.

Right now (and I love the now), I'd say UO is a better package as a whole for our family. You gotta get things while they're hot too.
As far as comparisons, it's nice that there are differences in all resorts. Variety is the spice....
Jim

Originally posted by HauntedMansionFan
I think it all depends on where you stay and the experience you had. You might stay at Universal and been pampered or you might have had a horrible experience, the same holds true for Disney. I have a friend who has stayed at both the Portofino Suite and the GF Suite, and she says that the GF has the Portofino beat as far as service goes. You have to look at the occupancy also, 2 Universal hotels versus Disney's 18 plus resorts. I only go to Universal to go to IOA, I find the employees there to be extremely rude, have no personality, and very impatient.

You're rght that you might have a bad experience at either resort but it's the service, what service does Disney offer when you rent a room? I've stayed in them all & unless you have concierge I really don't see any service, The last time I stayed at the YC they didn't even have turn down service & to get a cup of coffee other then room service I had to walk to Beaches & cream! The Galley (that's no longer there!) wouldn't even pour me a lousy cup of coffee to go!
They have taken away everything at WDW resorts even some resorts! What are the advantages to staying on site? I know so many people who always used to stay on site & now won't myself included! It's just not worth it any more. As a shareholder of many years & lots of stock I think they need to do something & soon to get guests to start staying on property!
As far as the rooms, if you walk in a room at the GF then in one at PBH I couldn't imagine choosing the GF to sleep in over PBH!
As far as rude employees, I think you get them at both Disney & Universal I really don't see any difference at all. And yes, they don't compare, I go to Disney for what I love there & Universal/IOA for what I love there.
I'm sure this arguement can go on forever everyone has such strong opinions on the subject.
And I do love Disney but they need to start making their on site guests feel special again.

Right now (and I love the now), I'd say UO is a better package as a whole for our family. You gotta get things while they're hot too.
I would without questions agree with you on this!!! A family with older children would certainly get their money's worth from USF and IOA. But for those with younger children Disney is a safer bet. Like I said though.... wouldn't disagree at all!

As far as the rooms, if you walk in a room at the GF then in one at PBH I couldn't imagine choosing the GF to sleep in over PBH!
My friend KaterBell would disagree with you there. She has used the concierge at both GF and Portofino Bay... and she loved GF better. She said it was the little things that mattered. They both had turn down service and would put candy on your pillow. At the GF it was a mint, at Portofino it was a chocolate with coffee flavor. So she brought up the caffiene before bed issue, she had a list of small differences that added up over the time of staying at each place that made her stay at the GF much better. Your right though.... this discussion could go on forever. So lets all agree to disagree.....

My friend KaterBell would disagree with you there. She has used the concierge at both GF and Portofino Bay... and she loved GF better.

I will agree to disagree but PBH doesn't have concierge, they used to have Butler Service which was way cool! HRH has Club level similar to concierge & The new Royal Pacific will have club level. I do think they had conciege the first month they opened at PBH.
Just one more thing, at turn down at PBH & HRH they fill your ice bucket, refill your coffee packets & lay your robes out, never had that at WDW.

At the GF it was a mint, at Portofino it was a chocolate with coffee flavor. So she brought up the caffiene before bed issue, she had a list of small differences that added up over the time

the amount of caffiene in a coffee-flavored chocolate vs a chocolate covered mint?
I usually hold my tongue...
BUT YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!
well if someone thinks that is worth a 300 dollar price difference... more power to 'em. There isn't enough time in eternity to add up a list of differences so totally insignificant...
:rolleyes:

Hee, hee hee. I'm still chuckling over the chocolate mint vs. coffee flavored chocolate. I can't even believe anyone would comment on this "little thing". Frankly if she has issues with the miniscule amount of caffeine in that mocha chocolate, she better stay away from the chocolate mint, since everyone knows ALL chocolate has caffeine in it! Too funny!

Well I know I won't be staying at the PB anytime soon, imagine the nerve, a mocha flavored chocolate! Villians!

Now I'm thinking... I am diabetic... maybe I should check in and wait for those chocolates on my pillow, and then call my lawyers and tell them about the hotel's plot to put me into a diabetic coma.... FREE ROOM FOR LIFE! oh yea!
:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter