How do you cook bacon?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
I have always cooked it in a pan or the microwave but needed to cook 5 pounds this morning for a volunteer breakfast so I used the oven.

Not as quick as small batches in the microwave but just as easy.

18 minutes at 400 degrees and it came out the perfect doneness of crunchy/chewy.

It didn't smell up the house as much as cooking in a pan and cleanup was a breeze, just carefully ball up the foil containing all the grease and toss.

I like it that way as well, though I use all three methods depending on circumstances.

In the oven but I don’t find it completely mess free. I always notice splatter on the oven door and a little bit on the sides.

Depends on the bacon. If its thicker cut bacon, oven it goes. Thinner bacon or turkey bacon always stove top just because oven cooking it seems to always over cook it so quickly and it gets super super crunchy.

When I do the oven I cover the pan in foil for easy clean up as well. We have a septic system (I live on a farm) so I try not to put grease of any kind down the drain so even when I stove top I pour the grease into another cup and toss once its cooled off.

Really??? You had to post this right at breakfast time? Really??? Thanks.... :D

Off to the microwave I go....turkey bacon for me. To answer the question, we do only eat turkey bacon. Typically we microwave it because it's just easy that way. On occasion we will cook it in the oven.

Last edited:

Depends on the bacon. If its thicker cut bacon, oven it goes. Thinner bacon or turkey bacon always stove top just because oven cooking it seems to always over cook it so quickly and it gets super super crunchy.

When I do the oven I cover the pan in foil for easy clean up as well. We have a septic system (I live on a farm) so I try not to put grease of any kind down the drain so even when I stove top I pour the grease into another cup and toss once its cooled off.
Do people really pour bacon grease down the sink?! No septic here, but grease goes into the bacon mug. I use all three methods, it just depends how much I’m cooking and the timing. If I just cleaned the stove, microwave or oven.

Always in the oven, on a rack with the rack in a sheet pan. cold oven, set to 425 and turn it on. Thick cut bacon takes about 20-25 minutes.

Thick Cut I like to do in the oven. I cook it on my broiler pan so the grease goes down into the lower pan instead of it cooking in it's own grease.

Last night though, I made hamburgers for dinner in my AirFryer and I added a couple strips of bacon on top of the burgers in the fryer and it turned out great.

We use Costco precooked bacon, so it only needs microwaving for a few seconds.

I used to cook bacon in the stove, but got a nice, new stove and want to keep it clean. Even if I covered the bacon with some foil, it still manages to splatter grease in the oven.

in the oven ......for many years, so much easier and no hot grease landing on my hands. Easy clean up

You all lost me at “throw the grease away”. I have a carefully curated jar of strained bacon drippings that serves as my secret ingredient in many things that get sautéed. :lovestruc
I used to keep my bacon drippings too, I can't recall why I stopped.

I don't do meat in the microwave. Actually, our microwave blew in July and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I really only used it for microwave popcorn. I prefer heating leftovers up in the oven or on the stove top.

Normally stove top.
Once in a while in the oven.
Haven't used the microwave in years.

Bake it in the oven just shy of crispy, then into a ziplock in the fridge. DD heats an individual piece in the microwave each morning for breakfast.

It takes 3 batches in the oven to cook a whole pack. First batch 18 minutes, each successive batch a minute or 2 less than the last (using the same glass pan).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!