How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think we have enough evidence to say that the medical experts are making different suggestions. We can say that the mayors are making different decisions, doesn't necessarily reflect different advice. Elected officials often hear advice and make a different decision, for reasons that are rarely made public.

Fair enough but they are reaching different conclusions.

But I do wonder, is one right and one wrong? Because so far, neither conclusion seems to be making a whole lot of difference in the number of people testing positive.

And do we assume WDW will make its own policy regardless of what the state, county or city is doing?

I'm one of those that voted to not go if they're required. I love Disney, and I love my vacations. I'm ok with wearing masks. But the idea of that much money for that many hot hours just steals my magic. It doesn't sound fun. However, I fully support the mask requirement. I will wait until I get desperate enough (I'm mocking myself here, not calling everyone desperate that is willing to go with a mask!) to go with masks, or I feel safe enough for myself and others around me to go without.

I do wonder how many folks are assuming there will be a mask requirement that is simply not enforced. If that is the case, honestly, I will be disappointed. So many companies right now requiring masks, but then refusing to support the policy. I feel ripped off that they are making an offer about safety, but it was just for pretend to get my money. I read a recent article that indicates Disney intends to back up their rule. I'm scared for the cast members either way, because lately people seem to be so entitled they'd rather hurt or kill someone over a policy for an optional service (like, go somewhere else if you don't like it??).

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/disney-theme-parks-face-masks-guests-little-trying
When watching @yulilin3 live streaming from DS I was pleasantly surprised to see the majority of people wearing masks. That said, in the long lines for food there was little social distancing. I found that people in my area don't follow the 6ft. thing either, even with markers on the floor.

I voted in the no-go choice in the poll, but my vote is more nuanced than the two choices. I would actually consider going with mask-wearing requirements in force...IF there were no major closures of park experiences, AND if the mask requirement stuck to CDC guidelines. So far, based on Disney Springs' opening, the mask requirements exceed CDC guidelines by requiring them at all times, indoors or out, just to be present on property. If this is the requirement anywhere within WDW, that would make the experience unpleasant enough for me to not want to go. If the mask requirements were enforced only in situations where social distancing was not able to be met, with reasonable expectations of safety outdoors even when passing within 6 feet of people but not congregating by them, such as when indoors in stores or rides or in queues, then I would be willing to still go to the parks and comply, whether I feel it's accomplishing anything or a reasonable action or not. I wouldn't be a fan of the 'wear a mask at all times, even walking by yourself on a sidewalk between resorts with no one within 500 feet of me' type of enforcement.

Just got back from DS, and yes the mask wearing rule was followed by 99.9% of the people.
I can tell you this
If you are still thinking of coming and masks will be required to be worn, think twice. It is not for the faint of heart.
Today the highs went only to 93 and it was hot and sticky and I was outside for only 2 hours and I'm used to the heat . Not saying that it was unbearable, if I had to keep going I would've, but definitely uncomfortable, I was surprised to see so many kids not fussing with it.
I unfortunately did see a guest service CM faint, she was standing under an umbrella by the coke store (I obviously don't know why she fainted, it could've been the heat)

Also a reminder that this thread is not to talk about the effectiveness of mask wearing or whatever is happening in your state. It's about talking what Disney is requiting you to do

Just got back from DS, and yes the mask wearing rule was followed by 99.9% of the people.
I can tell you this
If you are still thinking of coming and masks will be required to be worn, think twice. It is not for the faint of heart.
Today the highs went only to 93 and it was hot and sticky and I was outside for only 2 hours and I'm used to the heat . Not saying that it was unbearable, if I had to keep going I would've, but definitely uncomfortable, I was surprised to see so many kids not fussing with it.
I unfortunately did see a guest service CM faint, she was standing under an umbrella by the coke store (I obviously don't know why she fainted, it could've been the heat)

Also a reminder that this thread is not to talk about the effectiveness of mask wearing or whatever is happening in your state. It's about talking what Disney is requiting you to do

Thanks for the update! What range of face coverings did you see people wearing at DS (disposable mask, cloth masks, sun buff gaiters, plastic face shields)?

I can tell you this

yikes. I could not do it, no way. Not surprised to see CM faint, there will definitely be more of that.

Big fat nope! Our trip is planned for the first week of September. Super hot and super humid. I will stand 6 ft away from people. I will sanitize until I have no skin left. I will budget more for minnie vans so I don't need to be crammed into a bus but I will not wear a mask in that heat.

No, you can’t because it’ll turn into a moral debate if I’m a good person who wants to wear a mask or an evil person who doesn’t. I’m good on that topic for now, and frankly kind of sick of it. I just figured there would be more of a gap between the opinions and I’ll leave it at that.

Sorry if that came off rude but I just don’t want to dive deeper down that rabbit hole. The only thing I’ll say is that we’re in a Disney forum and I would have figured the majority would be willing to go along with it. Just surprised the opposite is true.

I don't think the second question results means that people are against masks, more that they wouldn't want to be there until there wouldn't be a requirement b/c the masks are cumbersome, Disney is expensive, etc. These results are more about who would be physically at Disney right now rather than who does or doesn't support wearing masks right now. For example, I picked B, but I believe Disney 100% needs to have people wearing masks right now. I personally am not leaving the house right now (besides walks), and even when I get more comfortable to be out and about, I still would not be going to Disney until our country overall is in a much healthier place. Especially b/c most have to get on a plane, etc. I think the phrasing of the choices could be rewritten as follows:

1.) Everyone should be wearing a mask. I will be attending and wearing one.
2.) Everyone should be wearing a mask. I will go back however when it is not a requirement.
3.) I don't think anyone should be wearing a mask. I will go back when it is not a requirement.
4.) I don't think anyone should be wearing a mask. I will never go back to Disney.

And there could even be a separate poll that expands on Number 2:

For those who support masks but are not going, what is the reason for delaying your trip?
1.) It is too much money to visit Disney and have a reduced experience.
2.) I personally don't feel safe being in a theme park yet.
3.) I don't want to have to wear a mask it would be too uncomfortable but I understand it is necessary.
4.) 1,2
5.) 1,3
6.) 2,3
7.) 1,2,3

Remember to please stay on topic. This thread is not to discuss the virus, what the CDC says, the effectiveness of masks...it is to discuss mask use at WDW now that we know it is mandatory for now at DS and then when we get the guidelines from Disney next week. Any off topic posts may get deleted

Just bought a haunted mansion themed gaiter. Hoping that will help me breathe a little easier than the masks I have now
This I believe is the discussion we, in the DIS forum should be having. Disney has said they WILL be required - discussion over, what kind of mask (face covering?) is allowed, and what is the most comfortable for a day in the heat and humidity? I almost pulled the trigger on a gaiter but had a couple of concerns;
  1. Do gaiters stay up on your nose or are you constantly re-adjusting them all day? I thought of a simple modification with a draw string at the top if they don't.
  2. Are gaiters any more comfortable than another kind of mask?
  3. Is there any difference between brands of gaiters? Do some stay up better than others? Do some work better as cooling masks (like the cooling towels)?
  4. Most importantly, are they allowed per Disney regulations? Does "face coverings (gaiters) = face masks?
Waiting to make sure my Aug trip will not get cancelled, looking better with the UA announcement, but if it doesn't, we are going, and we need to be as comfortable as possible.

The Disney themed masks I purchased from shopdisney.com are arriving on Wednesday. DH and I are going to drive in to DS on Friday to give our masks a test drive. I have been wearing the blue paper mask to the grocery store for several weeks now. I have actually been doing ok with them. Walking around DS in the heat will certainly be different than going to the grocery store but I am in need of a Disney fix. The temps are already HOT in central Florida; mid 90's today. I think with the masks it will be more important than ever to stay hydrated and visit air conditioned areas more than ever.

Remember to please stay on topic. This thread is not to discuss the virus, what the CDC says, the effectiveness of masks...it is to discuss mask use at WDW now that we know it is mandatory for now at DS and then when we get the guidelines from Disney next week. Any off topic posts may get deleted
wouldn’t what the WHO/CDC/Center of Infectious Disease says/recommends and the effectiveness of mask be on topic when you are going to be in and around thousands of people who could possibly have a huge impact on your health?
proper use of masks and the risk vs reward is 100% on topic with ”mask use at WDW” imo, please clarify if I am missing something or going off topic.
I mean, unless there is some HUGE change, people will be in the same ride line air as everyone else for over 1 minute
thanks
This I believe is the discussion we, in the DIS forum should be having. Disney has said they WILL be required - discussion over, what kind of mask (face covering?) is allowed, and what is the most comfortable for a day in the heat and humidity? I almost pulled the trigger on a gaiter but had a couple of concerns;
  1. Do gaiters stay up on your nose or are you constantly re-adjusting them all day? I thought of a simple modification with a draw string at the top if they don't.
  2. Are gaiters any more comfortable than another kind of mask?
  3. Is there any difference between brands of gaiters? Do some stay up better than others? Do some work better as cooling masks (like the cooling towels)?
  4. Most importantly, are they allowed per Disney regulations? Does "face coverings (gaiters) = face masks?
Waiting to make sure my Aug trip will not get cancelled, looking better with the UA announcement, but if it doesn't, we are going, and we need to be as comfortable as possible.
great post!
would love to hear about “fit” from people who use gaiters. Specific brands in particular

I was supposed to go the week of Labor Day with DGS #3 (the little one in my avatar). I am willing to sacrifice myself for a Disney fix but not him as he is my (current) favorite! Can't tell him he can't go but Grammy can :-(

wouldn’t what the WHO/CDC/Center of Infectious Disease says/recommends and the effectiveness of mask be on topic when you are going to be in and around thousands of people who could possibly have a huge impact on your health?
proper use of masks and the risk vs reward is 100% on topic with ”mask use at WDW” imo, please clarify if I am missing something or going off topic.
I mean, unless there is some HUGE change, people will be in the same ride line air as everyone else for over 1 minute
thanks
no, the CC/WHO posts, effectiveness of masks and any virus related topic is not for this thread, as this is about how do you feel about wearing a mask at WDW especially now since we know they are mandatory (for now ) at DS and might be at the parks.
It doesn't matter what the CC recommends if the private company you are visiting is requiring it's use.
For thoose topics visit the community board, I believe they have at least 2 threads opened about the topic

The Disney themed masks I purchased from shopdisney.com are arriving on Wednesday. DH and I are going to drive in to DS on Friday to give our masks a test drive. I have been wearing the blue paper mask to the grocery store for several weeks now. I have actually been doing ok with them. Walking around DS in the heat will certainly be different than going to the grocery store but I am in need of a Disney fix. The temps are already HOT in central Florida; mid 90's today. I think with the masks it will be more important than ever to stay hydrated and visit air conditioned areas more than ever.
When did you place your order for the Disney masks? No notice yet for the order I placed on Apr. 30. Yep, it's hot today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!