• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how do you like Orbitz?

BobH

DIS Veteran
I tried looking for flights to Venice for my son (a college student). The average flight on the internet was anywhere from $1200 to $1400 from Boston. Orbitz on two separate occasions showed a a $649 fare and a $619 fare. On two separate occasions I tried booking and I was informed that the fares were unavailable. Anyone else have this aggravating problem? I eventually went to a travel agent she got me a ticket through a consolidator.

I have only used Orbitz one time and that is for my upcoming trip to Disney on March 16th. Although, I did buy my planetickets last August for $143 rt.They were the cheapest when I came to looking for airfare from Nofolk Va toOrlando. They have been helpful in the fact they notified me via e-mail about a time change. We did call the airlines directlyand they had our resevations in the system with seat assignments and all. So far, I have been pleased with them.

I don't care for Orbitz for the very reason you listed. On 3 separate occasions, I tried to book a fare they listed only to be told that it wasn't available. I did email them about this and received a reply that basically amounted to "sorry that's the way it is").

After I did a little research I found out that the first display you see is basically a list of published fares. The "second" dip (after you try to book) actually looks for seats available at the listed price. Since they are now charging a $10 fee, I usually just use them for quick checks/comparisons and then hop to the specific airline's web site when I am ready to purchase.

I did book a hotel through them and found it to be a farily easy, painless process. That was last summer for a November stay. Since they are owned by a group of airlines, I have no fears/safety concerns about purchasing through them. I'm absolutely sure you end up with a legitimate ticket/hotel/car reserrvation. I just don't like the fee and what I consider to be the "bait and switch" way they list the fares. JMHO. YMMV.

We used to use Orbitz before they started the $10 fee and never had a problem. They tended to stick us in the back of the plane, but that was always easily resolved with a phone call to the airline. Now we use them as a search engine and then buy the tickets directly through the airline site. I would use them again if they got rid of the fee...they don't offer any value-added service, other than searching multiple airlines at once, so I won't pay a service charge. We only had a fare come up as unavailable when we tried to purchase it one time...not bad, since we fly to Orlando almost monthly and used to use Orbitz a lot.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter