How do you pack?

We use packing cubes. I pack an extra outfit per person, just in case. Always extra socks and everyone has at least 2 pairs of shoes.

If you need to pack jeans and sweatshirts buy a travel size bottle of Febreze. It's a lifesaver. I refuse to do laundry on vacation!

the Febreze tip doesn't work for me as using that would send me to the ER for at least 6 hours. I do the laundry on vacation
I meant to add this to my previous post. A lot of chemical fragrances are endocrine-disruptors and the cause of neurological disorders. Even if you don't feel you are affected by them, they doesn't mean you aren't. And what a kindness to not expose others to unneeded fragrances.

I meant to add this to my previous post. A lot of chemical fragrances are endocrine-disruptors and the cause of neurological disorders. Even if you don't feel you are affected by them, they doesn't mean you aren't. And what a kindness to not expose others to unneeded fragrances.

I am insanely sensitive to fragrance. The Febreze I use barely has a scent and it's specifically for allergens.

Disney is pumped to the gills with chemical fragrance. You know that, right?

I have 2 kids age 4 and 9. They both have their own suitcase and their own carry on. I use packing cubes to pack everyone's clothes. I put everything we need for the first day (bathing suite, pajamas, extra outfit and toothbrush/toothpaste) plus an extra outfit in our carry-on just in case luggage is lost. I also cross pack clothes so that if one or 2 of the suitcases are lost, each person would still have a couple of things to wear.

I almost always over pack and end up not wearing things and we tend to do laundry half way though the trip. For my kids, for a 1 week trip I bring an outfit for each day plus 4-5 additional outfits, We tend to go in the summer and it can be hot and sweaty so its nice to have something fresh to change into. Since we go in summer we don't usually pack pants or long sleeve shirts or coats, but going in December, you may want to pack some light weight warmers clothes that are easily layered as it can be quote warm during the day, but cool down at night.

I ALWAYS cross pack checked luggage unless it’s a direct flight. I remember the first time we flew to Antigua for a work event my husband was so impatient while I was trying to cross pack. My luggage didn’t arrive, in fact it was a week after we returned home before I had it. Luckily I had few things. Each evening was a special dinner and I was getting creative trying to mix things. One night I returned and housekeeping had cleaned some of my clothes and left me a few things from the very expensive gift shop. Never again! The next trip I packed enough for 2 weeks in each suitcase!

I like to have s choice depending on weather and my mood. I bring basically two outfits per day per person and at least four pair of shoes. Coming home one suitcase is the dirty clothes and shoes and the other is the clean stuff and toiletries etc..

I am insanely sensitive to fragrance. The Febreze I use barely has a scent and it's specifically for allergens.

Disney is pumped to the gills with chemical fragrance. You know that, right?
even that Febreze sends me to ER. so far have not reacted anywhere at WDW

3 bottoms (pants, shorts, skirts--or a mix)
3 tops
1 light jacket/sweater (merino wool won't retain odors so you can wear it several times without washing)
1 rain jacket
If you're going somewhere cold a packable synthetic down jacket (Northface Thermoball or Patagonia micro puff are good options)
1 pair of running/walking shoes
1 pair of "other" flats (something dressy if you'll be eating someplace fancy, another pair of sneakers if you're not.)
1 pair of flip flops (a nice pair of flip flops can be worn to the pool, or paired with a sundress for a dinner out.)
1 bathing suit + cover up
socks and underwear at your discretion
pajamas

Don't bring heavy fabrics. Things that are "quick dry" are great because you can wash them in the sink and hang them to dry over night.
I invested in a travel clothes line https://www.amazon.com/HAWATOUR-Portable-Clothesline-Adjustable-Clothespins/dp/B01LZYLO2A that has been great. I bring a bottle (or bar) of Dr. Bronners soap and wash in the sink each night.

I've traveled to Africa, Europe, South America and all over the US with just a carry on using the above packing list.

For our family it depends on where we're staying, and the weather. If we're in a 1 bedroom or larger DVC unit we pack light and do laundry during the trip. Our next trip though is 10 days in a studio, and while we take a mid day break where we can do laundry we'll probably over pack.

We hardly do anything dressy, so for us it's all about quick dry fabrics, and since our next trip is in Feb, a light jacket or something.

Always 2 pairs of athletic shoes per person, and rotate each day. Also if they get wet gives them a chance to dry out
Flip flops for the pool/walking around the hotel room
Packable columbia rain jackets
Lots and lots of good socks. We change socks mid day during our "siesta", and when you're doing 7 to 10 miles a day on your feet good socks make all the difference.
Portable pop up hamper is a game changer for dirty clothes, we always travel with one now.

I wear a ton of Columbia gear at the parks. It dries quick, lightweight, comfortable, the clothing is SPF rated and breathes easily. I basically treat WDW like a long hike.

We're big fan of packing cubes, and we bring 1/2 full suitcases. We get free bags from JetBlue with our credit card, so we usually bring 3 fullsize suitcases for the 4 of us that are half full. This leaves plenty of room for souvenirs and stuff we bring back from shopping. The Florida outlets have some crazy good deals. I was just there a few weeks ago for work, and had to buy a 2nd suitcase to get all the stuff I bought home with me.

I have 3 kids, ages 5, 3, 2. We travel in one suitcase as a family of 5 plus usually one backpack and my crossbody purse. At Disneyland I did a Kavu bag instead of my crossbody. We can get away with the one suitcase for even 10-12 day trips.

We use packing cubes. Each child gets 1medium cube and then a small cube for smaller items. Each adult usually needs at least one large cube, sometimes a medium too. We don't put coats/sweatshirts and shoes in cubes and if our main suitcase is too full, then those go in the backpack (also helps with keeping things under the 50 lb limit).

I've found this method works pretty much anywhere (Disneyland, international trips, local trips, roadtrips, whatever) because then I don't even "unpack" the cubes but just place them in the drawer and unzip/tuck under the top. When we get to the end of the trip, I transfer anything unworn into one cube and place that cube back into the backpack, and the whole suitcase can be for laundry that needs to be done. If we're only going to be some place for one night at beginning/end of trip or if, for example, I'm concerned about luggage getting lost, I'll put pajamas and a backup outfit for each person into 1 medium sized cube and tuck that cube into the backpack that won't be checked.

When my kids were younger, I did the outfits in plastic ziploc bags method, including sock/hairbow/etc. That worked well for that phase of life too.

I must admit I'm impressed! I cannot even fathom a family of 5 in one suitcase (and one backpack) for 10-12 days trip....
You should see how much I bring for my 4 night stay, lol!

Aside from our checked luggage, we always take a days worth of park clothes and a swim suit in our carry on...especially if we are taking Magic Express. Last week, our plane landed at 5:00pm and our luggage didn't get to our room until 11pm (when we went to sleep). We were coming from 30-40 degree weather to 70-80 degree weather....so, jeans weather to shorts weather.

Typically, if we arrive early enough, we hit the parks. If our flight is later, we will head to DS for a nice dinner or hit the pool. Either way, it's a lot more comfortable in shorts than jeans. We leave our carry ons with bell services while we enjoy every second of vacation time.

In our checked luggage, we usually bring one outfit per day each. We each have one suitcase so that we have room for souvenirs and other stuff on the way back. Often times, my daughter will get a princess or Minnie dress at the park and wear it every day, so she usually has way too much clothing for the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts