How do you "Value" the DVC resorts when considering the expiration date

Im obviously aware of the different expiration dates on various resale properties and contracts. Im only referring to the "classic" DVC resorts here NOT Riviera in light of resale restrictions (unless that changes).
How does the ending date of a various contract influence whether or not you are willing to purchase there? Im assuming that Disney won't extend these contracts in favor of selling them direct at a big price increase or will offer some sort of extension with a hefty price tag.

Resorts like Boulder Ridge, OKW, Boardwalk, and Beach Club are roughly past the halfway point in remaining years yet often still have a high price tag.

For me, they have no value because none of them are my favorite resort that I HAVE to stay in. At the current prices and with the expiration dates, I think it’s a waste of money. Now, this is just my personal opinion, because, like I said, I don’t have to stay there. However, I can see how someone who loves it sees it as valuable. A lot of people don’t care about the expiration dates at all.

For me, they have no value because none of them are my favorite resort that I HAVE to stay in. At the current prices and with the expiration dates, I think it’s a waste of money. Now, this is just my personal opinion, because, like I said, I don’t have to stay there. However, I can see how someone who loves it sees it as valuable. A lot of people don’t care about the expiration dates at all.
Where do you typically stay?

Some of us are actually GLAD to have the shorter expiration dates. We may not have children/heirs who love going to Disney every year. Perhaps our children cannot afford DVC or have other financial priorities. Maybe we do not want to leave a financial obligation to our children or burden them with selling a timeshare upon our deaths. Perhaps we don't want a timeshare that never ends and the uncertainty that goes with it. It's easy to "get rid of" now, but will that continue indefinitely? I love my DVC, but no longer want to make a 50 year commitment.

We're just a different target market than those of who prefer a longer contract.

Last edited:

Where do you typically stay?

We stay everywhere. Last year, we stayed at each resort on property at least once. As locals, we can plan a little differently, though. I’m currently at BLT for two nights and just booked this room 3 days ago. We look for the best monetary value when it comes to a resale contract, which is why we tend to buy SSR and we’re now looking at Poly.

We stay everywhere. Last year, we stayed at each resort on property at least once. As locals, we can plan a little differently, though. I’m currently at BLT for two nights and just booked this room 3 days ago. We look for the best monetary value when it comes to a resale contract, which is why we tend to buy SSR and we’re now looking at Poly.
I completely understand. We love AKV, but the value of Saratoga is very compelling. We have a young family but want the opportunity to sell with a bit of value left if we no longer want to visit or when our kids get older.

We purchased a long time ago. But like Carol, we are old enough to not need more years than on an original expiration date contract. We have no desire to burden our now adult children with a timeshare as an inheritance. There is a non zero chance we will sell over the next few years, having gotten the value out of our contract long ago. And for us, staying where we've wanted to stay has been fantastic. I really dislike SSR as a resort. And while I like VAKL as a resort, I don't like how far it is from the parks. For us, the Epcot area has been ideal. Each family is going to have different criteria that matter to them For some expiration date really matters. For others, its fairly trivial and meaningless. For some cost is really important. For others, cost is really not that big a deal. We are in the position that expiration date isn't important and cost isn't that big a deal.

Because of the time value of money, lodging accommodations that are in the near term are worth a lot more than lodging accommodations that are far into the future. How much would you be willing to pay for a hotel room next year? And how much would you be willing to pay today for that same hotel room, but you couldn't check in for 50 years? The one that is near is much more valuable to you. For this reason, the resorts that end in 2042 still hold most of their value. When they get within 10 years of expiration, I would expect their value to drop a lot.

I second (third?) the earlier comments. Having an early expiration date is a plus for some of us. The biggest financial cost of your DVC over the term of the contract is the annual dues.

In full disclosure, the 'ending date' made a huge difference in our decision process back in late 2003 and early 2004. We were fully decided on BWV ... but when Direct Sales dangled "12 more years" for the new SSR in front of our eyes we made a sharp, unexpected, left turn and signed the paperwork for SSR. Buying the full "50 years" was huge factor in our purchase process. (FWIW, direct SSR in early 2004 was only a few dollars-per-point higher than BWV resale. I think we were talking a different of less than $10/pp and closer to $5/pp. It was pretty easy to move us off our earlier BWV goal.)

To your question, "how to do you value ...": Run math similar to the chart in post #8 above. Divide the purchase price across either the years remaining or the total number of points remaining on that contract (annual points x years remaining). Either way, you get a specific value for that purchase that prices in the expiration date.

I am a DVC Member with Boardwalk Villas as one of my home resorts, I value the property for what it is....meaning I love the Boardwalk feel and it's location. Knowing the Boardwalk allows me a longer booking window (11 months) to get in when I wanted was very important. For the next 22 years my family will be able to have some amazing memories with the convenience of 2 parks and entertainment within walking distance to our room. So the value for me is the booking window and location. Yes the expiration is shorter, but 22 years from now things will change...so being able to either move on or re-evaluate is good for me. I do also own Saratoga Springs with a longer deed (2054) that I use for less than 7 month bookings and I'm very happy with too....but the Boardwalk was purchased to use at the Boardwalk. So the value to me is was not sweating at the 7 month window....lol.

Some of us are actually GLAD to have the shorter expiration dates. We may not have children/heirs who love going to Disney every year. Perhaps our children cannot afford DVC or have other financial priorities. Maybe we do not want to leave a financial obligation to our children or burden them with selling a timeshare upon our deaths. Perhaps we don't want a timeshare that never ends and the uncertainty that goes with it. It's easy to "get rid of" now, but will that continue indefinitely? I love my DVC, but no longer want to make a 50 year commitment.
Agreed. Being my age (47) I am 100% not interested in a 50 year contract. I would have no problem at all buying in one of the 2042 resorts now to only get 20 or so more years, in fact that timing would be perfect for me. However, I did not buy any of the 2042 resorts because they are actually more money than SSR which I did buy, and I went straight up for the economical choice. I have no problem whatsoever with getting on a bus at SSR and going to Epcot that way so I would never pay a premium for the location of BWV or BCV. The end date of SSR works for my age. I would not buy anything newer because I will not need or want it for that long, and passing it down is not very compelling to me.

I actually am warming up to Riviera, after watching some resort review videos it looks pretty nice. But I would never want to be saddled with a contract that long, so buying there is not for me. And I cannot swap into there with my resale points, so I will probably never stay there. Honestly I feel like if I really wanted that whole skyliner resort experience I would just book a cash stay at CBR, I could try the Riviera restaurants and call it a day.

This honestly is why we bought points at two resorts. Aside from Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge bring our favorites, we wanted to own a little longer than Boulder Ridge’s expiration of 2042. Animal Kingdom’s 2057 seemed the sweet spot.

One of our deciding factors was how many people can fit in a room. We really like Copper Creek, too, and thought about buying there, but the lack of the third bedding in a studio is what changed our minds: our boys don’t like to share a bed, and that fifth person in Studios and 1BR is critical for us (we’re really hoping they add a pull down bed in the 1BR this year during refurbishment). As the BRV resale we got was $93/point, it was worth it for us.

That said, we may add on to Reflections or Copper Creek in the future, but the far future expiration dates give us pause: while we know we can pass this along to our kids, we don’t know if they will want or can afford DVC ownership in the future.

We purchased a long time ago. But like Carol, we are old enough to not need more years than on an original expiration date contract. We have no desire to burden our now adult children with a timeshare as an inheritance. There is a non zero chance we will sell over the next few years, having gotten the value out of our contract long ago. And for us, staying where we've wanted to stay has been fantastic. I really dislike SSR as a resort. And while I like VAKL as a resort, I don't like how far it is from the parks. For us, the Epcot area has been ideal. Each family is going to have different criteria that matter to them For some expiration date really matters. For others, its fairly trivial and meaningless. For some cost is really important. For others, cost is really not that big a deal. We are in the position that expiration date isn't important and cost isn't that big a deal.
I'm right there with you!

I suspect that if there had been an option to buy a contract that expired in half as many years (at half the price), I would have made that choice 20 years ago when I purchased, and would now regret having done that. It really depends on one's age and just how much one loves visiting Disney parks.

I suspect that if there had been an option to buy a contract that expired in half as many years (at half the price), I would have made that choice 20 years ago when I purchased, and would now regret having done that. It really depends on one's age and just how much one loves visiting Disney parks.
Interesting thought!

The BC contracts are just for us because we enjoy the location. Once retired, if the annual maintenance is onerous, we'll have to decided what we're going to do with those long term contracts. Currently none of our 30+ children could use them except as an income source. We advantaged the '08 economic downturn to join DVC, we just didn't know it at the time. LOL. I had looked into DVC multiple times and suddenly it was doable. :tilt:

If the resort was the place I most wanted to stay I would have no qualms at all about buying a 2042 resort. As others have said, having a 20 year contract could be a plus in certain situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!