How do you "Value" the DVC resorts when considering the expiration date

I feel like the 2042 resorts are too expensive for how many years are left. At our age and childrens' age we wanted more than just 22 years as well. One of the keys to picking a resort was location as well though so beach club and boardwalk were the main two of the 2042 we initially looked at.

This honestly is why we bought points at two resorts.
I did the exact same thing. I am in my early 30s but still bought a 2042 because I love boardwalk. I then bought a second contract at BLT for longer use year and because I love the location. Right now my 70 year old parents will go along so we are booking 2 bedroom units. By 2042 I very highly doubt they will still be coming and at that point I can re-evaluate my life situation and decide if I need more points elsewhere or if the points I have at BLT is enough.

Some of us are actually GLAD to have the shorter expiration dates. We may not have children/heirs who love going to Disney every year. Perhaps our children cannot afford DVC or have other financial priorities. Maybe we do not want to leave a financial obligation to our children or burden them with selling a timeshare upon our deaths. Perhaps we don't want a timeshare that never ends and the uncertainty that goes with it. It's easy to "get rid of" now, but will that continue indefinitely? I love my DVC, but no longer want to make a 50 year commitment.

We're just a different target market than those of who prefer a longer contract.
I agree with the above. I think, having seen several divorces etc. in my family and kids who don't care for disney (or don't want or cannot bear the annual cost), I am definitely in favour of shorter expiration dates. With how Disney is playing its cards with the resale restrictions, this has only reinforced the notion that I would actually be more likely to buy a direct contract at a lower price with a shorter expiration. The simple reason is that if I know I can reasonably expect to keep and use it for the duration (i.e. 15-20 years), then I can determine pretty easily what it is worth to me and whether I am saving money over the term without making assumptions about what it is worth when I try to sell in 20 years. With the resale restrictions, this is even more of a concern since I am expecting it will negatively impact the resale price of any resort at which you cannot book the other DVC resorts.

Long story short, no more direct buying for me but I can survive at resale or with the points I already have just fine. If you don't already own, I'd focus on what your time horizon is for use. If you can get a contract with 30 years and get your value out of it in 15, even if it is worth nothing in year 16 on the open market because of something Disney does, then you aren't SOL.

We picked SSR and AKL for price point and longevity. We have a 5 and 2 year old. We will have points until they are 43 and 40. We want to be able to use them for a long time and maybe take grands

Keeps AKV at the top of our list. I will be 69 when it expires. I don’t need to be in my 80s..! I figure if I’m still mobile I can still book separate Disney trips. Or extend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter