How does dining plan work when doing split stay?

marivigi

Getting a Pluto fix!
Hi!

Will be doing a split stay in a couple of weeks
Wondering it I can get 1 dining plan for the whole time we are there or if I need to get a dining plan for each resort stay?

A split stay is two separate reservations, so you need to have a dining plan for each reservation.

The issue will come on the day you end reservation #1 and start reservation #2. On that day, you need to use all the dining credits from #1 before you will be able to use any from #2, can't be even a snack credit remaining. All credits from #1 will expire at midnight, so you'll want to use them anyway.

The only big thing to watch out for is if you have a 2 credit meal on the bridge day. For a 2 credit meal, both credits must come from the same account. You can't combine a credit from stay #1 with a credit from stay #2 to pay for a two credit meal.

Last edited:
You have to buy the plan for each reservation. We did that in April. The only thing is that you have to use up all the credits from the first stay before you can use the ones from the second. The other problem I had was that I was told I did not have to check into resort #2 in order for my credits to work...I had done online check in so was told no issue...well, that was not the case. I had checked out of resort #1, had used up all the credits from resort #1, and went to breakfast on the morning we were going to check in to Resort #2. When we went to use the credits, they said we didn't have any. The called Resort #2 and we were told we had to check in first. So, I had to pay for the breakfast and then ask for a refund when I got to Resort #2. The thing was that once I got the text that my room was set at Resort #2, the credits were working.

The good news, though, was when we got to Resort #2, and we mentioned to the front desk, they told us that we had already been refunded what we paid AND they let us keep the credits for the inconvenience. I wasn't expecting that and it made it a little more magical to have gotten the pixie dust. But, next time, I will make sure that I plan better!

Thanks for the replies

Sounds a bit complicated though, I already have a hard time tracking credits

Here's what we do, buy the deluxe plan for the first part of your stay, eat like kings, get a print out of remaining entitlements when you check out. Take the list to the front desk of the new resort and have them apply entitlements for use that day/night. Pay out of pocket for the rest of your meals. (you will probably be tired of eating at that point)

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks for the replies

Sounds a bit complicated though, I already have a hard time tracking credits
You can ask a CM with access to a register to let you know what your credit balance is. Usually they’ll print out on a receipt with what I have remaining.

At which point I’ll groan and grab eight bags of candy I’ll never eat and and three dozen of those rice rice crispy mouse heads on a stick that I’ll eat exclusively for three weeks as punishment for wasting money.

We get the TIW card, it works out much less expensive. No credit counting, no lost credits (money you paid and didn't get any value for it)Especially since you get 20% off adult drink and the card is good for 13 months, so we get 2 or 3 trips on one card. It's good for 10 people if you have a large group it will pay for it self in 2 or 3 days.

Here's what we do, buy the deluxe plan for the first part of your stay, eat like kings, get a print out of remaining entitlements when you check out. Take the list to the front desk of the new resort and have them apply entitlements for use that day/night. Pay out of pocket for the rest of your meals. (you will probably be tired of eating at that point)

This sounds like a great idea for a longer trip... thanks for the tip!

You can ask a CM with access to a register to let you know what your credit balance is. Usually they’ll print out on a receipt with what I have remaining.

At which point I’ll groan and grab eight bags of candy I’ll never eat and and three dozen of those rice rice crispy mouse heads on a stick that I’ll eat exclusively for three weeks as punishment for wasting money.

That's whatusually happens with our quick service credits! We normally do sitdowns and snacks, but have a hard time using up our quick service credits

This sounds like a great idea for a longer trip... thanks for the tip!

Even for a shorter trip you get an appetizer, 2 credits, desert and drink per person per day. You can use the credits for signature restaurants or for a couple of 1 credit meals per day.

i also get a print out of remaining entitlements to error on the cautious side.We do split stays a lot, sometimes do dining plans for one part,others for send part of split stay decide to do out of pocket. If you do DP for one part of split, don’t forget your refillable mug will work,as it must be used within 14 days I believe. During October F&W, we typically use the snack credits at the booths!:drinking1::yes::

You have to buy the plan for each reservation. We did that in April. The only thing is that you have to use up all the credits from the first stay before you can use the ones from the second. The other problem I had was that I was told I did not have to check into resort #2 in order for my credits to work...I had done online check in so was told no issue...well, that was not the case. I had checked out of resort #1, had used up all the credits from resort #1, and went to breakfast on the morning we were going to check in to Resort #2. When we went to use the credits, they said we didn't have any. The called Resort #2 and we were told we had to check in first. So, I had to pay for the breakfast and then ask for a refund when I got to Resort #2. The thing was that once I got the text that my room was set at Resort #2, the credits were working.

The good news, though, was when we got to Resort #2, and we mentioned to the front desk, they told us that we had already been refunded what we paid AND they let us keep the credits for the inconvenience. I wasn't expecting that and it made it a little more magical to have gotten the pixie dust. But, next time, I will make sure that I plan better!

One of the best values at WDW is the Deluxe DDP for the first few nights of a split reservation (any longer & it can be a lot of food, unless you do some signatures). We usually do a night or two for the same room type, using a separate membership (so far, we haven't had to change rooms), bring leftovers & snack credits back to the room (freeze/refrigerate) for breakfast or lunch/snacks in the following no DDP days. We actually do eat all the food, save about 50%, and still have the mugs for 14 days - win-win!!

I have no idea why my previous post was written like that- but I am new here! This is what I meant to say...
I am renting dvc points and have three reservations for April 2020. My first reservation (resort #1) is poly for 2 nights, followed by (resort #2) poly for one night, followed by (resort #3) BWV for three nights. I have read numerous things about dining plans and split stays and need some help. I’d like to do the DP only for reservation #1. I’d like to check in poly and begin to use credits and have dinner and such. I’d like to not use my table service for day 2 and save it for day of check out. I heard I have until midnight to use it. Can I still book my table service and use credits even though I have checked into reservation 2. I would not have another DP so it wouldn’t mess up dining credits. I want to be able to use the table service for dinner that night. Is this possible?

I have no idea why my previous post was written like that- but I am new here! This is what I meant to say...
I am renting dvc points and have three reservations for April 2020. My first reservation (resort #1) is poly for 2 nights, followed by (resort #2) poly for one night, followed by (resort #3) BWV for three nights. I have read numerous things about dining plans and split stays and need some help. I’d like to do the DP only for reservation #1. I’d like to check in poly and begin to use credits and have dinner and such. I’d like to not use my table service for day 2 and save it for day of check out. I heard I have until midnight to use it. Can I still book my table service and use credits even though I have checked into reservation 2. I would not have another DP so it wouldn’t mess up dining credits. I want to be able to use the table service for dinner that night. Is this possible?
yes, the credits would be good until midnight of your third day. After checking in for reservation #2, we always verify at the FD that the credits from reservation #1 are still valid, and have never had a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter