How does the airline deal with weather delays?

Wendie

Mouseketeer
Okay, those veterans to flying - it's very possible that we will get a major weather delay for our flight on Monday. Does anyone know what the airline will do? Like, will the plane fly when it can? Will it cancel entirely and then we're out of luck? Will we have to book a different flight and pay 4x more since we got a great deal on the tickets we have? Someone, help me calm my nerves!

What airline are you flying?

If your flight is canceled, you'll be rebooked onto the next available flight.

What airline are you flying?

If your flight is canceled, you'll be rebooked onto the next available flight.

We are flying Delta. Suppose to leave 1 pm on Monday. We're suppose to get 10-13" of snow starting tomorrow afternoon and going through all day Monday.

I have a call into them to see if we can possibly change our flight to Sunday night, but judging online, it looks like that would cost us $700 more which just isn't feasible. UGH.

did you get trip insurance? that would cover the issues

Trip insurance only kicks in for a travel delay if you miss 50% of the stay. I just read the fine print since I can still add it :(

We are flying Delta. Suppose to leave 1 pm on Monday. We're suppose to get 10-13" of snow starting tomorrow afternoon and going through all day Monday.

I have a call into them to see if we can possibly change our flight to Sunday night, but judging online, it looks like that would cost us $700 more which just isn't feasible. UGH.

Check to see if Delta put out a weather alert. If they do put one out, you can change your flight without penalty.

Delta currently has two travel advisories on their website. Given your description of the weather, I'm guessing you're travelling from Colorado.

According to this page: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/advisories/colorado-winter-weather.html

RESCHEDULING FLIGHTS
If you wish to cancel your trip as a result of a flight cancellation or significant delay (90 minutes or more), you are entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your ticket. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following destination(s) on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.

Aspen, CO (ASE)
Colorado Springs, CO (COS)
Denver, CO (DEN)
Grand Junction, CO (GJT)
Montrose/Telluride, CO (MTJ)
Steamboat Springs/Hayden, CO (HDN)
Vail/Eagle, CO (EGE)

Impacted travel dates: January 21-22, 2018
Ticket must be reissued on or before: January 25, 2018
Rebooked travel must begin no later than: January 25, 2018

There is more information on that page, and you can check the website if I picked the wrong advisory.

the general rule is if a flight is cancelled or delayed BY the airline for what ever reason either technical / mechanical/ flight crew reason OR weather conditions / incident at your departing or arrival airport it is the airlines responsibility to get you to your destination. They will rebook you to the next available flight without any further charge. Depending on the airline and the severity or length of delay the airline MAY also give you food voucher or a hotel voucher.

Example in December I was flying from Dublin, Ireland to Bristol in England with Aer Lingus. My flight was due to take off at 11.15am. At 11am at Bristol airport there was heavy fog and an airplane went off the runway on landing. Bristol airport closed, all incoming and out going flights were cancelled for that day. We had to come back to the departure gate, Aer Lingus gave us a €5 snack voucher and we had a 4 hour wait while the Airlines contacted Bristol airport. At 4pm our flight eventually left Dublin and we were diverted to another airport. Aer Lingus then hired a bus and transported us back to Bristol airport. I paid Aer Lingus to get me to Bristol airport and thats what they did, the delays were unavoidable and out of control of the airline.

Thanks for all the feedback guys - this is actually only the third time I've flown in my life, so I'm a newb.

They did issue a travel alert for our area (Minneapolis) and when I posted this, I was waiting for a call back from Delta to see how this all would work. They'd alerted me it would be a 2-3 hour wait, hence why I came here to ask questions.

We are now flying out at 8:30 Sunday night instead of 1 pm on Monday. Which puts us in Orlando at 1 am, but it's better than not getting there until Tuesday! Hopefully with the snow starting Sunday afternoon, this flight won't get screwed up too

Thanks for all the feedback guys - this is actually only the third time I've flown in my life, so I'm a newb.

They did issue a travel alert for our area (Minneapolis) and when I posted this, I was waiting for a call back from Delta to see how this all would work. They'd alerted me it would be a 2-3 hour wait, hence why I came here to ask questions.

We are now flying out at 8:30 Sunday night instead of 1 pm on Monday. Which puts us in Orlando at 1 am, but it's better than not getting there until Tuesday! Hopefully with the snow starting Sunday afternoon, this flight won't get screwed up too

I'm glad that you were able to change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter