How far do you drive per day when towing?

Dam you all! I need more vacation time, or to retire early!
We aren't retired yet, but.... I've been web-based for about 6 years now which allowed me to move to Florida from Maryland. So, while not retired, we did get to our retirement location ahead of schedule!

So, this kind of fits with the how long do you drive (tow) thread. It's supposed to be 6.5 hours from our house to Bluewater Key resort. The problem was the park closes it's gate at 5:00pm (if I recall). There is no getting in until they open the next morning. Since the overseas highway is only one way down and back, if traffic has a problem I could have really been screwed, so I was a wreck until I pulled in. Couldn't sleep because of it so we ended up leaving at 5:30am LOL! Pulled in at 2:00pm, plenty of time but I was stressed until I was parked and set up!

So, this kind of fits with the how long do you drive (tow) thread. It's supposed to be 6.5 hours from our house to Bluewater Key resort. The problem was the park closes it's gate at 5:00pm (if I recall). There is no getting in until they open the next morning. Since the overseas highway is only one way down and back, if traffic has a problem I could have really been screwed, so I was a wreck until I pulled in. Couldn't sleep because of it so we ended up leaving at 5:30am LOL! Pulled in at 2:00pm, plenty of time but I was stressed until I was parked and set up!

Those hours were one of the other things we were looking at. We really like staying at the Fort until 11 and it looks like at least a 7 hour 'towing' drive. We're thinking if we do decide on Bluewater we may stopover at Flamingo Campground in the Everglades for a couple of nights en route. The other places we're considering don't close the office quite so early, or provide for late arrivals.

It also looks like an 'ownership' resort where you rent from an 'owner' rather than directly from the RV park. I'm kind of leery of that since I don't know what (if any) protection you have if the owner suddenly decides they want to use the spot themselves or rent to a friend/family member. I've known of 'timeshare' rentals that have not gone well for the renter.

Those hours were one of the other things we were looking at. We really like staying at the Fort until 11 and it looks like at least a 7 hour 'towing' drive. We're thinking if we do decide on Bluewater we may stopover at Flamingo Campground in the Everglades for a couple of nights en route. The other places we're considering don't close the office quite so early, or provide for late arrivals.

It also looks like an 'ownership' resort where you rent from an 'owner' rather than directly from the RV park. I'm kind of leery of that since I don't know what (if any) protection you have if the owner suddenly decides they want to use the spot themselves or rent to a friend/family member. I've known of 'timeshare' rentals that have not gone well for the renter.
Bluewater is an ownership resort, but you rent through the office. The website shows all the sites available for the dates you put in. They're rated by the amenities available at each site. Some have outdoor kitchens, big screen TVs, etc. You know the deal. Ours had none of that. Well, tables, chairs, a chickee hut and dock. It was fine for us since we didn't need any of that. The only problem we had, and it still worked, was the site wasn't big enough for us to fit comfortably. If it were me, I'd do the everglades on the way down and have a short drive to the Keys the day you check out. Our site was one of only two where the pad was parallel to the road and we were almost blocking the back in entrance to our next door neighbor. Both sites shared a common driveway entrance and as you can see, it was tight for those getting in next door. The staff guides people into the site. We had to be parked on an angle.

We may add a few days to the end of our Disney trip to take the kid to Cocoa Beach and the Kennedy Space Center. I have a goal of doing some nice road schooling in the next few years so that should kick it off for us.

We may add a few days to the end of our Disney trip to take the kid to Cocoa Beach and the Kennedy Space Center. I have a goal of doing some nice road schooling in the next few years so that should kick it off for us.
That's an easy hour and a half drive!
You might consider a SunPass, it'll make your life easy getting around through Florida.

yes! I forgot last time and we had to mess with tolls and cash. I'll get the pass this time.

We always get the 'Sunpass Mini'. It's not very much and is just a little sticker thingy you put in your windshield. We throw about $50 into the account before we leave California and normally have money left in the account when we leave Florida for home. Super easy to ask for a refund.

We always get the 'Sunpass Mini'. It's not very much and is just a little sticker thingy you put in your windshield. We throw about $50 into the account before we leave California and normally have money left in the account when we leave Florida for home. Super easy to ask for a refund.
Have you ever switched the sticker to another car? I normally recommend the suction cup unit if there's a chance that you might have a different car for each trip. I knew @rideswithchrist had a vehicle they were thinking they might replace after their next trip. I have the windshield transponders in my wife's car and our coach. I have the removable in my Tahoe. When we first moved here I swapped the removable between the coach and Tahoe since I didn't want to be charged twice when I was towing the car. I've since put a permanent one in the coach and hope I remember to pull the one out of the car windshield when towing. We'll see how that works out! LOL

Have you ever switched the sticker to another car? I normally recommend the suction cup unit if there's a chance that you might have a different car for each trip. I knew @rideswithchrist had a vehicle they were thinking they might replace after their next trip. I have the windshield transponders in my wife's car and our coach. I have the removable in my Tahoe. When we first moved here I swapped the removable between the coach and Tahoe since I didn't want to be charged twice when I was towing the car. I've since put a permanent one in the coach and hope I remember to pull the one out of the car windshield when towing. We'll see how that works out! LOL

No we haven't, although I did read a post somewhere and the poster said you could do it if you were VERY careful. Maybe they used a hairdryer to soften the glue?

We wouldn't have a different vehicle since we tow a trailer, so it's always just our truck. I can see the point if you have a toad. If we were 'frequent flyers drivers' to FLA the transponder might be worth it. But we're pretty much on an every other to every 2 years plan. It only costs about $5 to replace the sticker so it's moot to us.

I wish they'd find a way to either nationalize toll passes (and pay per state) or at least give you the ability to add a state for a period of time, like the system FLA & GA have. We have the FasTrak that's good here in CA, it would be nice to have the ability to add FLA to it (for a small fee, of course) rather than get a sticker or a different transponder.

We usually put our FasTrak in the little silver envelope they give you that blocks the signal and stick it in the glove box until we need it. But yes, it would be a bummer to have your coach 'tolled' and then have the toad 'tolled' too!!

No we haven't, although I did read a post somewhere and the poster said you could do it if you were VERY careful. Maybe they used a hairdryer to soften the glue?

We wouldn't have a different vehicle since we tow a trailer, so it's always just our truck. I can see the point if you have a toad. If we were 'frequent flyers drivers' to FLA the transponder might be worth it. But we're pretty much on an every other to every 2 years plan. It only costs about $5 to replace the sticker so it's moot to us.

I wish they'd find a way to either nationalize toll passes (and pay per state) or at least give you the ability to add a state for a period of time, like the system FLA & GA have. We have the FasTrak that's good here in CA, it would be nice to have the ability to add FLA to it (for a small fee, of course) rather than get a sticker or a different transponder.

We usually put our FasTrak in the little silver envelope they give you that blocks the signal and stick it in the glove box until we need it. But yes, it would be a bummer to have your coach 'tolled' and then have the toad 'tolled' too!!
I agree about getting them all to play nice together. I still have and maintain an EzPass. I think it's about money and control. Plus the hardware/readers. Depends on who put what in place first, although that goes back to money. Lots of investment up front. Don't know the answer, and yes, the window stickers are only $5 so I can see how it would just be an operating expense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!