How far from actual bday would you feel comfortable celebrating at MK?

ChicagoJ

Mouseketeer
DDs bday is beginning of Sept and we’re going to wdw end of Nov. we’re thinking about telling her about the trip on her bday so she can relish the anticipation of the trip which is so fun imo. We’d love to make a big deal about her bday at MK bc of the special touches they do. But is 2.5 months too far to reap the bday rewards, ethically?

I'm probably in the minority but I personally would say 7 days before or 7 days after.
My kids are too honest and would feel weird if anyone was singing 2.5 months later.

I think ethically is too strong of a word for this. Comfortable which is what you titled this is more accurate.
Whatever is comfortable for you....is the answer.

Within 6 months one way or the other.

You'll be hard pressed to find many people who get persnickety about when a little girl celebrates her birthday. Disney certainly isn't going to be bothered by it.

I'll warn you, though: don't go in expecting any "birthday rewards" or special treatment. There are no guarantees with that sort of thing. She may get nothing more than the ocassional CM wishing her a happy birthday.

But is 2.5 months too far to reap the bday rewards, ethically?

What birthday rewards?

Having people wish her happy birthday is as much as you can expect. It’s as much as me and my son have ever gotten, and we’ve been at a Disney park on our actual bdays.

And frankly that gets old. Even my son, at 4 years old, decided that enough was enough and took off the button after the actual bday.

Celebrate when you want. But know that it’ll also be normal guests who might notice the button wish her a happy day. If that irritates her or you guys, or if she’s compelled to tell strangers it’s not THE day, just take the button off.

We’d love to make a big deal about her bday at MK bc of the special touches they do. But is 2.5 months too far to reap the bday rewards, ethically?
Any time is a good time to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, wedding, graduation or other special event at Disney World. Often we have multiple events to celebrate during our visit depending on who is on the trip.

As @Alesia indicated above the most you should expect from other guests or cast members s is a congratulations on your special event or a Happy Birthday response to a Birthday button even if you are celebrating on the actual day of an event. Celebration buttons are everywhere as many if not most Guests are celebrating something while enjoying the parks and resorts.

Dave

CM's really do their jobs quite well when it comes to Happy Birthdays and Congrats etc.

My son wore the graduation Mickey ears quite proudly (to my shock and amazement)....until the 5th,6th,7th person said "Congratulations!" and then he felt stupid and took them off.

Some people like to be noticed and some after awhile do not. :smooth:

I wonder if OP is expecting free desserts possibly given to her daughter? Like Texas Roadhouse and many Mexican restaurants who will sing to the birthday person etc?

The only birthday "rewards" they do is CM's telling you happy birthday. If you have an ADR they might give you a complimentary cupcake or something.

For me, I'd only celebrate my birthday on my actual birthday

For birthdays and anniversaries I usually only celebrate within a week either way, before or after. But it’s up to each person, there is no right or wrong answer to this. I just wouldn’t go in or have your child go in expecting to receive lots of free stuff, that way if it does happen she will be surprised and if it doesn’t then she won’t be disappointed.

If your daughter would enjoy getting wished a happy birthday from cm’s 2 and a half months after her birthday than wear the birthday button. Maybe let her decide if she’s comfortable with that.

Personally, I would only wear a birthday button on my actual birthday. It would just feel weird to me being wished a happy birthday months later.

It's up to you really. I'm celebrating my Graduation in October, when actually I submit my dissertation in September, won't get the grade until November/December and don't graduate until April 2019!

How about a "birthday" dinner where she wears the birthday badge so the whole trip isn't an extended birthday but the magic is still there?

I agree that the concept of ethics doesn't really enter into this, so do what you are comfortable doing.

the word day is in birthday so in our family it's just that day. today is your birth DAY. not the month, not the week, that's it and move along to someone else's. but that's our house....u do u and no judging is my motto. everyone makes their own rules no judging.

we are going in August and celebrating my daughters birthday which is July ...we would have gone for her birthday but hubby couldn't get off so i dont have a problem with people celebrating before or after the actual date but again its up to you and the birthday girl. We always each come home with a button because just being in disney is a reason to celebrate in my opinion!

Ok this is helpful. I wouldn’t be expecting anything but have heard on here of CMs making it special in different ways. But honestly, it would feel super weird to be wished happy birthday 2 months later so we’ll just not make it a bday thing. I think I’d rather give her a month notice anyway bc hearing “when do we leave?!!!!!!!” For 2.5 months may drive me crazy lol. Thanks all!

Ok this is helpful. I wouldn’t be expecting anything but have heard on here of CMs making it special in different ways. But honestly, it would feel super weird to be wished happy birthday 2 months later so we’ll just not make it a bday thing. I think I’d rather give her a month notice anyway bc hearing “when do we leave?!!!!!!!” For 2.5 months may drive me crazy lol. Thanks all!

You can also hang something on the back of the front door for example....of a countdown to Disney where they can mark off the days each night they go to sleep or wake up:dogdance:

I ran into a slight variation of this on our 4th trip. My then 5 year old god-daughter saw 1st visit pins people were wearing and she wanted one. I replied but this is your 2nd visit. Her answer was well I was 2 on the 1st trip and I remember is meeting Mary Poppins. So I went and go her a pin and she proudly wore it and loved it when CM's asked her how her 1st trip was going.

On our last trip I wore my birthday button. Anytime anyone wished me a Happy Birthday, my son, would inform them, it was in fact, not my birthday. My birthday was actually the day before, but of course he did not notify anyone of that info. I feel like this is a little extreme in judgement. If it is a visit planned to celebrate a birthday, wear the button proudly!

I'd feel completely comfortable within your timeline. If it was more than 6 months, I'd probably say, save it for another trip.

My husband and I are going for our honeymoon in September. We were married April 29th, but this was the closest time we could get the time off together at the same time. We plan on getting Happily Ever After buttons even though it's been a few months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter