How fast it all changed.

Rodeo, my prayers are with you and your family. I feel so sad about the loss of your husband. When you described him as your best friend, I smiled because it's been so clear in your earliest posts that you are best friends. The strength and composure you've shown throughout this unbelievably trying time in your life is amazing to me and humbling. You are a remarkable woman, wife, and mother. I will keep you in my prayers, as I wish so much for you to find peace.

I have been reading along but only posted here one other time. I just want to say I'm so very sorry for you and your children on the loss of your husband, their father. I think of you often and am impressed with the way you have handled everything.

My deepest most sincere condolences. What a wonderful wife and mother you’ve been through this ordeal. God bless you.

You, your husband and family will be in my prayers. I’ll pray for strength for you.

Pay close attention for signs. He’ll be around. It is my belief that there is a very thin veil between our world and the next. When it happens, you’ll just “know” it’s him. Wait and see...

I hope your experience last night was a good one and that MIL did not do anything to tarnish the sweet moments that you and your children had with your husband's casket the day before.

My parents then wrote that he belonged to them, always. That would have meant so much to him; because of the issues with his family he always said he felt like he belonged more to mine than his own. He never said that directly to them, but my Mom wrote it on his casket.

This touched my heart so deeply, Rodeo. I'm so glad he found and made his family with you and your parents. That's beautiful beyond words.

Rodeo you are not being petty at all, you are continuing to honor and advocate for your husband and the beautiful family that you built together.

The dancing sounds absolutely beautiful and a fitting tribute.

When my father passed I lost my North Star, it is something that is still difficult to talk about, but the fact that my siblings and myself got to honor him in the way we chose and not some pre-designed format is something that we are still so thankful for and remember fondly.

Give yourself the permission to do things your way, and the way that feels the most natural for your family.

Yesterday was all about paperwork and details. I spoke with the funeral home to book my "after care" appointment where they will help me through all the filings - never realised how much there is to do. Called the insurance company, worked on the taxes. The insurance agent was really helpful about steps I should take in order to make sure I can still have access to everything I need after the death certificate is filed.

Today we will begin to put the house back in order. It seriously looks like a bomb was detonated. For two months, things have just sat. Laundry has piled up. Well, everything has piled up. I needed somewhere to put meds and things DH needed handy when he was home for the one week he came back. I used to home school the kids so I grabbed one of the little plastic three drawer units I had used for their school work - BUT it was still full of school work. That all got dumped on the kitchen table where it has sat for three and a half weeks. Pillows and blankets got thrown down the stairs as they came off the hospital bed the day it was picked up. They are still a lump where they landed. Just stuff everywhere. I start somewhere and get distracted by some other pile of junk that needs to be dealt with.

Flowers and food also arrived yesterday. Several floral arrangements, two separate pans of lasagna (froze one) with salad and giant bread sticks, an edible fruit bouquet. People are so thoughtful. Some of this was from the kids friends. DS's best friend took yesterday off school, stayed the night before (last night too, I think) and has just hung out with him for two days. His girlfriend took the afternoon off and she and her mother made one of the lasagnas and brought it over. DD's boyfriend brought her a bouquet and card. Friends are making sure she's always busy too.

My brother's family went home but he is staying through the weekend. He is going to reverse the wiring he did three weeks ago to move DH's office upstairs and return it to the basement where it will become the gaming room. DS is pretty happy about that. Lots of room now for his buddies to have gaming marathons. So that means today is furniture move day. We had one of the kids' friends living with us for a while last year and he used some of DS's furniture. Its in the basement where we set up his room. We have to move it up, move the pull out sofa down so he and his friends will have somewhere to hang out. Lots of activity today so I better go get started!

MIL is not happy we aren't having a traditional service for DH. I explained that was why I offered that she could take a small portion of his remains. She can do her own whatever, down where she lives. I'm sticking to our plans, although didn't detail them for her. Simply said we would have a remembrance he would have liked at a future date since he hated funerals. His cremation is today. She thought we would be going to that. I explained no that is not typical - to witness the cremation. Definitely not anything I would want to see!!

Last edited:
Keeping busy is good ...there will be much to do. Happy that everyone is stepping up to help in any way they can. We all need a support system ..keeping you in my thoughts,

Where in Canada are you btw?
Hugs to you all..

Sounds like you are doing well under the circumstances. Just keep swimming, as they say. Keep moving forward one hour at a time. Sounds like your kids have great friends, which must be helpful. Keeping your family in my prayers.

Continued thoughts for y'all. Don't be ashamed to ask for help.

The reclaiming of order in your home would be a project that I would be glad to assist with. Just extra hands could be helpful.

When my grandpa passed away almost exactly a year ago, I witnessed how much there is to do following the death of a family member. My grandma stayed busy for weeks afterwards just calling people, getting things signed, filing different records, etc. I think it comforted her, though.

Also, just wanted to say that I really admire and respect you following to your husband's last wishes. People will throw all sorts of opinions (usually unsolicited) your way following a death in the family. You've stayed true to your husband, your kids, and yourself through this entire ordeal. Never doubt how right those decisions are/were. Sending lots of healing and peaceful vibes your way.

His cremation is today. She thought we would be going to that. I explained no that is not typical - to witness the cremation. Definitely not anything I would want to see!!

I was taken aback when the funeral home asked if we wanted to be there when my mother was cremated. Apparently there is a viewing window at the crematorium. You can at least see the casket being moved into the actual crematory. I said no thank you.

You are in my thought often these days. I am sure it is nice to be home with your kids and their friends. Those are always fun days for me.

Stay the course, Rodeo. You’re doing fine. There’s no official rule book, as you’ve found out already, but you’re doing well playing by your own. You’re still honoring your Buddy in the very best ways.
When you have his celebration, it will be a wonderful tribute to him and the family you two built. I can picture the dancing and it will be beautiful. Your Buddy will be smiling.
Continued prayers and thoughts.

Rodeo I have been silently following you and your family on this most difficult of journeys. My deepest condolences to you and your children. May you cherish your memories and feel the prayers of peace and comfort being sent your way. Your story has touched many hearts, mine included.

Pace yourself. It's probably going to take over a year or more before the dust settles and everything is said and done. The first year is the hardest but your Buddy will be watching over you. I am proud of you for standing your ground. That should probably get easier as well since there was not much of a family connection to his side. Take your time and keep us posted with anything you need. Peace.

I only have one thing to say about your MIL. What a fraud! The time to care about her son has permanently passed.

So, I had a text tonight from a guy DH was in a program with. He had asked me earlier this afternoon about a wake and I explained that we had already had our private family viewing, DH had been cremated and we'd be doing the celebration in a few weeks. He asked again, "so no wake?" I said no. A few hours later he texted again and said that he guessed DH must have changed his mind, that right before entering hospice, DH had asked he and another guy they both knew if they'd come to his funeral...
I answered that DH would have been using the term loosely, meaning the remembrance which will be held to honour who he was and the things and people he loved. And thanked him for his input.
Seriously, who would text something like that to a man's widow, who he had never met?!?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter