How hard is it to maintain a 3.0 GPA during Freshman year...

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
My DS was offered a $13000 Scholarship for the first year and renewable if he gets a 3.0 or better.
Is there some kind of formula they use for GPA?
Thanks,

Lynn

Yes there is a formula. You can look it up on probably any academic website as each school's grading scale is different. ( Some offer B + or C +..some only offer A, B, C, etc.) It is not hard to get a 3.0 your freshman year. That would mean you could get a B in every class. As long you do your work and keep up, it will be easy. What a great scholarship!

I don't think it is that hard. But it all depends on the type of student you are, and how motivated you are. I'm assuming that since your son was offered this scholarship he is a good student, and therefore wouldn't have a problem maintaining a 3.0.

As long as he actually GOES to his classes and does the work and puts some effort in to it a 3.0 shouldn't be too hard. The key is with all that freedom actually peeling yourself out of bed and going to class. If he has always had trouble getting up in the morning encourage him not to take 7 or 8am classes and take classes later in the day, sure it may cut a bit in to social time, but he will at least be awake! I

Not difficult.

Each school's grading scale is different though. Actually, each MAJOR might have a different grading scale within the same university. I know my pharmacy roommates have a completely different scale than my psychology grades.

BTW, I don't mean to be rude, but if you have all these questions perhaps your son can join the Disboards? Or maybe another college site? I'm sure he has some questions as well :)

Thanks for the info on GPA's. It's tough to compare packages of aid from different schools, everythings worded differently!

Evil Princess!
DS does frequent another college website to talk about admissions and stats ect., but DH and I are paying for college for DS, so we are trying to get the scoop and not bother DS about financial issues. Which school he attends is totally up to him, we just want to know the little things, since we are paying. Ivy League decisions are out this evening!!!

Thanks Everyone

Maintaining a 3.0 your freshman year is not hard at all in my opinion. Just go to class and everything should be fine for him! There is a formula, but I can't remeber the exact numbers, but basically you get so many points for an A,B,C,D, and F, add those up and divide by the number of credits you are taking! Im not sure if that is a universal formula, but thats how it is at ODU. Good Luck to your DS

Jess

A 3.0 isn't hard to mantain during Freshman year. Just make sure that he goes to class. If getting up in the morning is tough for him, then advise him to take classes later in the day.
Northern has this GPA calculator online for us students to calculate out what we think that our GPA may be. The website is http://www.nmu.edu/advising/nmugpa1.htm if you wanna check it out.
I love the GPA calculator. Although last semester, I realized that I was .05 away from making the Dean's List.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter