How hard is it to run Disney World 5K?

TLPL

DIS Veteran
This may sounds silly, but would let to know how hard it is to finish a 5k run at Disney World? I am not athletic and don't exercise much, I am not overweight but do need to lose a few pounds. My 12 yo son on the other hand love sport activities. I entered him in the Kids 1 mile last time and he said we should do the 5k this time. I would like to try but want to know more about it first. How long does it take to finish it? Can you just jog slowly the whole time? How much training do you need to do this? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

This may sounds silly, but would let to know how hard it is to finish a 5k run at Disney World? I am not athletic and don't exercise much, I am not overweight but do need to lose a few pounds. My 12 yo son on the other hand love sport activities. I entered him in the Kids 1 mile last time and he said we should do the 5k this time. I would like to try but want to know more about it first. How long does it take to finish it? Can you just jog slowly the whole time? How much training do you need to do this? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

The easy answer is that it's as easy or as difficult as any other 5K. You'll probably have to wake up much earlier and stand around a lot more at a Disney 5K, but you'll get a bit more entertainment as well. Otherwise, the distance isn't a mystery.

As far as pace, there are all types of paces out there during the 5K. Many people walk the entire race and there is no issue with doing that. Disney has a (very loosely interpreted and rarely enforced) guideline of 16:00/mile pace, which would put finish time for a 5K around 50 minutes, but there are finish times well over that from people stopping to take pictures with characters on the course. It is very difficult to gauge exactly how long any given person can expect to be allowed to stay on the course (the races is released in corrals, which are split into smaller groups); but I feel safe saying that if you can complete a 5K, you can complete a 5K at Disney.

The previously mentioned training plan is great for getting started.

No more or less difficult than any other 5K. You can walk it so take the time between now and whenever it is you plan to do the 5K and get to the point where you can walk 3.1 miles without any trouble. There is a very good program called couch to 5K that can give you some guidance.

I would argue that it is easier than most 5ks. Many 5ks have time limits. rD 5ks do not. My wife's friend was injured 2 years ago and had to do a slow walk through the entire course - took her well over an hour to finish. None of the 5ks in my area would even have staff at the finish line that late, much less still handing out medals to finishers.

Disney is a great place to run your first race. Afterward you can decide for yourself how you want to approach racing in the future.

As others have said, the training is the key. In fact, the training is what you will be most proud of at the end of the 5k, not the race itself. The more effort and consistency you put into training leading up to the 5K, the more enjoyable the day will be and the more gratification you will get out of the process. Can you walk the entire 5k with minimal training? Sure, but in my mind, that shouldn't be your goal and sort of defeats the purpose of having a goal race. A goal race is meant to motivate you to train properly. If you are consistent in your training, I guarantee you will like the results!

Last edited:
No more or less difficult than any other 5K. You can walk it so take the time between now and whenever it is you plan to do the 5K and get to the point where you can walk 3.1 miles without any trouble. There is a very good program called couch to 5K that can give you some guidance.

Are you allowed to walk the 5K race?

You can walk the race as long as you finish within the time limit. This is technically 16mm after the last person to start. But the 5ks have the most relaxed timing of any Disney race. Keep moving and you should be fine.

Are you allowed to walk the 5K race?

Yep. The pacing requirements for the 5K are not the same as other races (16:00/mile based on last to cross the start) but there is as minimum time to finish. It is quite generous and while you may not be able to stop for every picture if you are on the slower side there is time to walk the course.

How do they assign which corral you will be in? Wouldn't the earlier start time means more time to finish?

How do they assign which corral you will be in? Wouldn't the earlier start time means more time to finish?

It would give you more time, but having slower people (I am one) in front of faster ones is frustrating and dangerous.

Let the 12 year old go off at his own pace, by the way. It will be far more fun for him. Let him have a phone for the run so he can have music and he can text you when he’s done. (You carry a phone, too)

The finish area is the same-ish as the start area, and you can study the maps ahead of time (they make the Event Guide available online a few weeks before the event weekend) to pick a meet up spot.

When you finish they keep you moving. You can’t stop in the finish chute to wait. So he would be getting his medal, his water and Powerade, his snack box and banana, and would just keep moving until he’s out of that area, and then find the spot to wait for you.

Corrals are assigned based on estimated finish time and proof of time to justify that number. Faster finish times are in the first corrals and slower times (or no time) are in the back. This is for the safety of all runners. Corraling the faster times in the front and slower ones in the back keeps runners in groups moving generally at the same pace and prevents congestion on the course. Being in the earlier corrals does provide more time to finish, but that is not the purpose of the corrals.

With the fields the size of most Disney World 5Ks it is very difficult for all of these best laid plans to go off without a hitch, but I do believe they try to organize things in the best way possible.

Not only can you do it but you should. Start taking walks at home, a mile here and a mile there. It gets really addicting and is great for your health.

For the reasons you outlined, I think a Disney 5K is a great first one to do. The less strict pace requirements allow you some flexibility. The key to finding your success will be your ability to follow a training plan that helps you achieve your goal. I finished the Star Wars Dark Side 5K in just over 90 minutes this past April with at least 20-30 minutes in lines for photos. When I wasn't waiting for photos, I was walking at a brisk, albeit very comfortable pace because I wanted to save my legs for the 10K and Half the next 2 days.

You've received great advice here. I will only add that you find a plan that feels right for you. I have learned that there are many different training plans that will help you find success. Find the one that works best for you.

I've wanted to do one of these in Disney for ages we go in January and the 5K race is the morning we leave, we don't leave until after lunch so technically I would have time to do it but I'm soooooooooo not fit, there's no way I'd run it but might get away with walking, I walk the dogs fairly regularly like but that's completely different

I've wanted to do one of these in Disney for ages we go in January and the 5K race is the morning we leave, we don't leave until after lunch so technically I would have time to do it but I'm soooooooooo not fit, there's no way I'd run it but might get away with walking, I walk the dogs fairly regularly like but that's completely different
Most of us have stories of where we've come from in our fitness levels. You have time and you can do it! Just do it!

I truly believe that almost anyone who wants to finish a runDisney event can do so with proper training. Since you walk regularly, you're not as far off as you think you are. Just because it says run does not mean you have to run it. The recommended 15 minute per mile pace is ultimately a fast walk. The required pace of 16 minutes per mile is seldom enforced during the 5K races.

In April, I had a 9:40am breakfast reservation in the MK. I finished the 5K in just over 90 minutes because I stopped for a couple of very long photo lines, picked up my drivers license that I lost during the 5K, showered and changed, and waited for my sister to shower and change, and we both made the ADR with time to spare.

Most of us have stories of where we've come from in our fitness levels. You have time and you can do it! Just do it!
Absolutely. I met a lady in November who finished her first 5K at the Superheroes 5K in Disneyland in 55 minutes including photo stops. I loved seeing her enthusiasm and excitement over her accomplishment. Don't let the word run intimidate you for a 5K distance especially at runDisney. Sign up, have a lot of fun, and see how you feel about it afterwards. If you love it and want to do more, you can. If you decide you're content with the 5K, then enjoy that.

For an optimum experience, I would definitely encourage you to check out one of the many C25K options out there - there are apps, "Zombie Runs" and other different training programs to get you ready for a 5K.

I say this because - the reason why Disney runs are the best is because of the character stops ... but you need to be incredibly aware that the characters sets are strictly timed and they WILL cut the character lines and pull the characters off the course in accordance with a 16:00/mile. @Sleepless Knight mentioned above that some character lines can get up to a 20+-minute wait, so even by the time you reach that character, the line has already been cut and you will have no chance for a photo and will have to settle for a passing selfie.

They will not sweep runners like in the other distances, but if you do fall significantly behind what the timing is required to clear the park for CMs to begin the process of opening for day guests, you're likely to be picked up by a golf cart and dropped close to the finish line. You will get to cross the finish line and receive a medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter