How I Plan a Universal Trip

I need 4 Adult tickets, 2 Park to Park 4 Days. I'm comparing dated tickets (10/28/21) with final price (includes taxes & fees). This is for one ticket.

Orlando Informer: $340.48
  • Accepts all major credit cards. Additionally, they offer the option to purchase now and pay over time with Affirm.
AAA: $341.63
  • Does not accept Visa & MC Gift Cards in branch.
Tickets at Work: $342.67
  • Accepts all major credit cards, as well as certain TicketsatWork-branded gift cards, Paypal and international credit cards for certain purchases.
    • Amex Platinum Personal Cards $30 Monthly PayPal Benefit Through June 2021. GC Galore
Sam’s Club: $342.67
UCT: $348.06
  • Accepts PayPal, Google Pay, and credit or debit cards from the Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Discover networks.
    • Tickets code as “travel” Costco earns 3% cb
Edit to add:
Visit Orlando: $354.99
Orlandofunticket: $363.31
Theparkprodigy: $365.28
Getawaytoday: $366.00
Universal Orlando: $379.13 :thumbsup2 @TommyJK

Universal Premier Pass Holders can purchase tickets at the gate at a 15% discount. You can also do this at premier hotels.
  • Major Credit Cards & discounted gift cards are accepted.

Last edited:
I need 4 Adult tickets, 2 Park to Park 4 Days. I'm comparing dated tickets (10/28/21) with final price (includes taxes & fees). This is for one ticket.

UCT: $348.06
Tickets at Work: $342.67
Orlando Informer: $340.48
AAA: $341.63

Just as a comparison vs buying directly from Universal, the same tickets come to $379.13 on Universal's site so $30-$40 savings (which could go towards a nice meal :) )

Just as a comparison vs buying directly from Universal, the same tickets come to $379.13 on Universal's site so $30-$40 savings (which could go towards a nice meal :) )

Ah, you beat me to it! I was verifying the other sellers. I don't know who Theparkprodigy is but they're offering $25 off when you sign up for their emails. I wouldn't do it as they're pretty high.
A closer look see...

Just updating:

We ultimately went with Tickets at Work because my husband earns Wow Points which can be applied towards Universal tickets.

First day of Use: Oct 28, 2021
TicketsAtWork: 4 day 2 park to park = $317.83 / with tax $342.67
We paid $142.83 and $292.67, separate transactions for 2 adult tickets.

Annual Pass Holder (APH) Rates

You will see mentions of APH all over the forums. That is because having an annual pass gives you access to some of the best room discounts available, usually 20-30% off the seasonal rate. Given the room savings alone, an annual pass is a virtual no-brainer for at least one of your group. To see if APH rates are available.

So i f I'm researching properly. I book the room I would like now at the current rate (as long as it's what I'm willing to pay). I need to book myself directly through Universal, not with a travel agent or company?

Than I watch rates. Since our trip would be over a year away, I just watch. If prices drop I can switch to the lower cost? Maybe a promotion in the new year.

I also watch the APH rates. If it drops again there, I can switch again?
If I do that, I figure out how to actually purchase an AP before check in?
Only one our of my family of five needs the pass to get the room discount?

If I purchase the pass in my name, it is also my park tickets, so I buy that and than tickets for my family separately?

I know there are blackout dates...our plan is August 21-28/2022. From what I've seen those dates are not typically blocked anywhere.

You got it dude!

You could probably book with whoever you prefer, as long as it is fully cancellable / refundable. You would end up rebooking and cancelling to add the AP rate typically anyways, so no real benefit to having the original booking through Universal/Loews. Although I recently read that you can "modify" to the AP rate or to a better rate, so long as you're booking the same hotel and changing something with the booking (other than rate). Worth trying, but it's not a terrible hassle to rebook as Universal refunds your cancelled booking reasonably quickly.

You can also buy everyone tickets, then just upgrade one of the tickets to an AP while there.

It seems there are alot of "newbies" to Universal now.
I wonder how much this exodus to Universal is hurting Disney?
People either seem to book extra days at Universal, or go to Universal only.
I know Disney has alot of guests and big crowds but it seems that Universal has that now too? I would think it will have an effect on the bottom line for disney eventually, and a good effect on Universal's bottom line:)
For me and my husband, we are not interested in disney at this time and are going to go to Universal when we can.

Does anyone know the gate price for tickets at Universal? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy my family tickets online, our buy them at the gate to get the AP discount.

My family has a trip planned for the 3rd week in April 2022. Should I be buying Park Tickets now? Also, is there a reservation system for Universal?

My family has a trip planned for the 3rd week in April 2022. Should I be buying Park Tickets now? Also, is there a reservation system for Universal?

There is no reservation system for Universal.

As for when to buy, really you could buy at any time. Currently on a "froggy" website (they don't let us link that site anymore) there is a buy two days, get 3rd day free promo going on right now you could take advantage of (not sure how may ticket days you were planning on).

Unless you are getting a special deal, there is no advantage to buying the tickets early. We just buy them in the resort when we check in...

We're looking forward to our first trip to Universal this December. We've got our hotel booked (HRH) and plan to spend 3 days in the parks. Would it work (and make sense) to buy one Preferred AP in advance for our family (there are 4 of us) and then buy the other 3 tickets at the resort to get the AP discount? We would also then get the other various discounts throughout the parks (restaurants and such) correct?

We're looking forward to our first trip to Universal this December. We've got our hotel booked (HRH) and plan to spend 3 days in the parks. Would it work (and make sense) to buy one Preferred AP in advance for our family (there are 4 of us) and then buy the other 3 tickets at the resort to get the AP discount? We would also then get the other various discounts throughout the parks (restaurants and such) correct?

Preferred AP offers food & beverage discounts & unlike Disney, most eating places allow the AP discount.

To get the AP discount on tickets, they have to be purchased at the park gate per the Universal Orlando website..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter