How is it that Disney is able to rent out DVC rooms?

MickeyReeds

Mouseketeer
Is there a formula that a certain % of the rooms at a resort are cash and the rest DVC? For example, when I was trying to rent BLT points from my brother in law, there wasn't availability for points, but I could rent on the Disney website for cash.

Just curious how that all works! Thanks!

I noticed that for an OKW studio that I'm trying to add on one day to our reservation. It's frustrating really.

DVC is required to own a minimum of 2% of the points for each DVC resort. DVC usually owns more as people are always selling contracts which are ROFR'd and some contracts are foreclosed. Plus any undeclared points at resorts currently be sold by DVC will be used for rentals. DVC also is good at estimating how many points will sell in a year and rents out those that will not be used. That is a lot of points to rented. Add on those points that a member has opt out of DVC, like RCI, the Disney Collection including DCL and Concierge Collection, then there can be lots of DVC points available for rent through Disney's Central Reservation. DVC needs the cash to pay DCL and the Disney Collection and the concierge hotels for having a DVC guest. Those non DVC resorts and the cruise line have no use for DVC points.

The largest share of rooms that Disney rents for cash originate from Members who us points to cruise or stay at one of the resorts in the Disney Collection. DVC has to turn those points into cash to pay for those choices.

I noticed that for an OKW studio that I'm trying to add on one day to our reservation. It's frustrating really.

If there were no trades allowed outside of DVC then there would be very few rooms available for cash bookings and they'd all be there for points. Cash availability would only be for the points that DVC/DVD owned themselves. But it still doesn't mean there's be a room there to book on points because if there were no trades then it's likely the owners would be staying in the room instead of trading. When you see a cash room it's there because someone else essentially "reserved" it to use to trade. So in essence some other member is using it - just not staying in it. The trades have to be paid for someway.

The other part is breakage - if a room is not reserved then 60 days ahead of time DVC can turn it over for a cash booking. They don't turn everything over but they technically could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter