How long before DVC and all of WDW is shut again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dano1182

DIS Veteran
I am sad to say I cant see how disney can reopen . They shut down before virus was an issue in Florida . Now it seems like FLorida has no choice but to shut down again. Anyone have more optimistic thoughts??

I think it will happen if cases are shown to increase because WDW opened..so much went into calling ppl back etc. This is speculation with no real opinion lol

Just curious - is Florida conducting any contact tracing? If they are, I’m trying to envision the Disney response to being pinpointed as the epicentre of significant outbreaks.

I think it could happen. I really thought by this time a few months back it would be almost over with, at least for a bit. Boy was I wrong, way wrong.:sad::sad: I really do feel I will possibly lose a close family member to this, or even possibly my own life.

Unfortunately, it looks like this virus is here to stay. Hopefully some type of treatment/vaccination will be found soon. I think it is possible Disney will shut down again if they play a part in a rise of cases, but at this point how could they not? More visitors to an area means higher numbers, plain and simple. Even with distancing and masks, just being around people again will likely see a rise in cases because of the change. People stayed home (read no contact), new cases were low. Then people started leaving their homes (read increased contact), new cases rose. Seems like common sense to me that this would happen.

Will it all affect Disney? Who knows?

I am sad to say I cant see how disney can reopen . They shut down before virus was an issue in Florida . Now it seems like FLorida has no choice but to shut down again. Anyone have more optimistic thoughts??

I live here and I don't believe you will see anything happen. They decided today that all schools must open, 5 days per week in August (they usually start the second week of August).

I don't see them shutting down anything any time soon. The governor thinks everything is fine.

When they closed in March they weren’t prepared with safety protocols and social distancing. Now I think they have protocols to protect their guests and cast members. I think they are too close to the opening date to cancel now, but I could be wrong.

Just curious - is Florida conducting any contact tracing? If they are, I’m trying to envision the Disney response to being pinpointed as the epicentre of significant outbreaks.

They (FL Dept of Health) say they are, but news reports say they are not.

Last edited:
I live here and I don't believe you will see anything happen. They decided today that all schools must open, 5 days per week in August (they usually start the second week of August).

I don't see them shutting down anything any time soon. The governor thinks everything is fine.
I read that parents can have the option of continuing with on line learning also. There will be no minimum amount of days to the school year as in past years, like 180, so if there is a shutdown, days will not have to be made up. Parents will most likely like the fact that they have been given the choice, regular face to face learning or virtual learning. The problem is the teachers, adminstrators, custodial staff, transportation staff, many of whom are "at risk", either with pre existing medical conditions or because of age. This is the issue that schools throughout the country face, health and safety issues with the staff as well as the children.

florida looks and sounds a mess right now. my brother in law was just down in tampa and couldn't' wait to get home. I have my father inlay living down there now and he said it's interesting. i was just talking to another friend just down in florida. they said how awesome it was that a few weeks ago before it got back that you didn't have to wear a mask and could do anything you wanted vs up here. i think that is a good example of why florida is like how it is now. i really think it's just not a good idea. Disney’s safety measures are no better than any other place that is doing the right thing in the country. even now they are balling it a bubble with the nab getting to disney today. a bubble is a good way to say it cause i think it's going to become a hot spot. sad to say but i see this blowing up in their face. i hope not.

Unless significant federal intervention occurs, and it will not in 2020, Florida is open. Disney will have a difficult time closing in the absence of federal or state edict.

International travel will be at zero or near zero to Disney, but they will stay open.

The problems the NBA and MLS are having (not to mention MLB) are pretty indicative.

Pretty much this.

Disney won't shut again unless ordered to by the state. And even with record cases, Florida is moving forward with opening the state and requiring teachers to go back to work and students to go back to school. Further, DeSantis is convinced that the theme parks have to reopen to drive economic recovery. He wants Disney open - very badly. So I just do not see any way that he would tell them to shut down again.

Even if you put all that aside, remember Disney is a freight train. That train has LOADS of inertia that carries it down the train tracks. It can't stop on a dime, even if it wanted to.

Disney will open. And as long as DeSantis is calling the shots, it will likely stay open.

Besides, with the health and safety they have put in place, you are less likely to catch Covid at Disney than you are at my local grocery. The biggest danger is going to be the plane rides or gas stations if you drive.

I live in Florida and the amount of out of state license plates I see on the daily is crazy now compared to a few months ago. People from all over bringing in germs. I wish Florida opened to only residents for a few months. We wear masks everywhere we go and have been since the beginning even when we were told they are not effective in stopping the spread.

50/50 odds in my opinion. On Sunday, we cancelled our DVC trip for September. Have been told the borrowed 2020 points will be returned to 2021 use year within 14 days. We'll see. Wish people would wear their masks, wash their hands, keep a reasonable distance, and stay home if they don't feel well. It's not that difficult. Peace and cheers to all.

Has Universal been linked to any spread? I know Disney is a bigger draw, but Universal has been open for over a month, and it has not been targeted (right or wrong) as the source of the increase in cases. Gov. DeSantis and Disney would use that (again, right or wrong) as part of the argument for opening.

We cancelled our August vacation yesterday - still have one planned for november.

As far as contact tracing - I've read various articles saying that the cases are so high in volume in the whole of the south that it is impossible to properly contact trace.

We cancelled our August vacation yesterday - still have one planned for november.

As far as contact tracing - I've read various articles saying that the cases are so high in volume in the whole of the south that it is impossible to properly contact trace.
I’ve read that it’s so high because of contact trading. One person tests positive and they can trace it to another dozen people fairly quickly who also turn out to be positive but asymptomatic. Months ago these people would have never qualified for tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!