How long is your daily commute?

LittleMissMagic

Victoria on Vacation
I'm about to go from a 15-minute commute to a 45-minute commute (driving - each way), and my friends think I'm crazy!

I figure I'm probably not the only one with a long commute - how much time per day do you spend getting from home to work? Do you drive or take public transit? Are you happy with your commute? How do you pass the time or make it not so horrible?

30-minute commute one way. I figure that’s probably an average commute.

I don’t think a 45-minute commute is all that horrible. Previously I had a one-hour commute.

Last edited:
Thankfully I don't really have a commute, takes me about 7-9 minutes to get to the office, if traffic is bad it might take 12 minutes. I had to commute for about 45 minutes once in my life and hated it. I'm thankful live in a smaller community in a job that I love.

30-40-minutes on the bike (12-15 km) or 15-mins in the car (12 km) one-way. I definitely feel lucky to have a short and pleasant commute each day as I used to drive 1-hour one-way in my previous job (29 km) and that wasn't much fun.

FOR me it’s about 40 minutes. That also includes walking a few blocks to the bus stop, waiting for the bus, riding said bus, and walking a few blocks to my job. I’m glad I have a good winter jacket and boots.

I'm about to go from a 15-minute commute to a 45-minute commute (driving - each way), and my friends think I'm crazy!

I figure I'm probably not the only one with a long commute - how much time per day do you spend getting from home to work? Do you drive or take public transit? Are you happy with your commute? How do you pass the time or make it not so horrible?

Mine is about 30-40 minutes depending on if I leave my house on time. Perfectly happy with my commute, I drive solo. I usually listen to sports radio but we are big sports freaks. I will occasionally listen to an audio book

Mine is currently about 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day.

I don't think 45 is crazy. I already know my time is going to increase soon as the COL is going to be too high to stay around here soon, so I will need to move farther from work.

My commute us 10 minutes.

Dh is about 45 minutes. For some reason, he seems destined to an hour or more commute. His last 2 jobs have worked out that way.

I've had commutes ranging from 5 minutes to 45. The 5 was too short cuz the car never warmed up. On my longer commutes I really just made sure I had good music - I sang out loud - a lot! The only time the longer commutes really bothered me was how unknown it would get in bad weather, an unexpected snow storm came during the day and made getting home almost impossible - I should have had a contigency plan. Now I work from home, but I still sing out loud - a lot!

2 1/2 hours each way. Driven to commuter rail. Walk to subway. Subway downtown. Walk to next train. Path train to NJ. Walk to office. I do this Monday to Thursday and can work at home on Friday. My commute used to be 1 1/2 hours each way on the commuter rail to Grand Central but my company moved in June. I'm retiring next year and love what I do so there was no sense in finding another job.

5 minutes if i'm at my base station but sometimes i'm allocated shifts elsewhere which take about 25-45 minutes depending on traffic, nothing like being late of a 12 hour night shift and having a 45 minute commute home :(

On the days I go into the office I drive to the train station which takes about 20 mins and the train ride into Philadelphia is approx 22 mins. I then walk three blocks to my office. I have a lot of flexibility though and can work from home as needed. DH used to work in NYC (before me) and that commute time was more like piccolopats.
I think a lot of this is all relative based on where you live. In NJ a lot of people commute to DE, PA, and NY. When I worked in DE I drove up and down 295 every day! It took about 50 minutes each way. Personally, I start to get annoyed with a commute over 30 minutes but everyone is very different when it comes to this issue. I also have young children so the extra time going back and forth is time taken away from them.

It takes me about 30 seconds to get from my bed down to the kitchen. 45 seconds if it is a particularly groggy day and I take the time to start my computer on the way by to get my morning caffeine.

My commute is 60 miles each way, all driving. I couldn't and wouldn't use public transportation...no thanks. In the morning, I can do it in about an hour. In the afternoon, it's roughly 90 minutes.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me. It's my "me" time, as my life is so hectic otherwise. I listen to Sirius/XM radio...I flip around a TON.

My commute is about 45-50 minutes. There’s an 8 minute walk to the train, 20-30 minute* commuter train ride, then another 10 minute walk. It’s a pretty easy commute and not that long relatively speaking. I’ve lived closer to manhattan and used to take longer to get to work.

* depends if it’s an express or local train.

none....DH and I are retired :teeth:

But DD just went from an easy 15 minute commute to a very traffic heavy 45-60 minute commute. Loves the new job, but not that partl

DS is about 30 minutes

I am 21 miles from work. It usually takes me between 25-30 minutes since most of the trip is Interstate.

It depends on what and where I have to be. If I have a court appearance then I can go as far as 45 miles away, one hour drive time. If I’m just in the office then it’s only 6 minutes. I usually carpool and someone will pick me up since I live so close to the office.

18 minute walk to the train, 25-35 minute train ride depending on whether it is local or express.

My train line is pretty quiet so I read or sometimes listen to podcasts.

The walk is only a problem if it is real windy and rainy; or REALLY cold (like below 10 degrees).

30 minutes each way, driving. I fill up the time with podcasts and audiobooks. If its been a rotten day, gives me to time to decompress before I arrive at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter