How long to find your resale?

ChasingLeslie

DIS Veteran
I’m new to DVC resale and wondering how long it has taken people to find their “ideal” resale contract. (I know this probably varies greatly).

I’ve been stalking the six recommended resale sites since we returned from our recent trip!

I’m new to DVC resale and wondering how long it has taken people to find their “ideal” resale contract. (I know this probably varies greatly).

I’ve been stalking the six recommended resale sites since we returned from our recent trip!

Hard to say - are you having trouble finding UY or price? What are you looking for?

Hard to say - are you having trouble finding UY or price? What are you looking for?
Hi Jerry, I’m just curious how long it has taken people from beginning to look to purchase.

I’m interested in Boardwalk (100-150 points). Most of the available contracts seem to be 200+ points. DH wants to save money and go for less, but I see the value in having more. We travel in June/July (still considering the importance of UY).

Hi Jerry, I’m just curious how long it has taken people from beginning to look to purchase.

I’m interested in Boardwalk (100-150 points). Most of the available contracts seem to be 200+ points. DH wants to save money and go for less, but I see the value in having more. We travel in June/July (still considering the importance of UY).

You could make due with anything from December onwards (but no later than June) - June would be your most ideal month.

I would do an estimate on number of points you would use then. Know that you can Borrow from future year or bank unused years. Say you need 300pts to go but you go every other year than 150pts would be fine. If you go every three years you could get by with 100 points.

Smaller contracts typically come at a premium but those are usually 100 and below

We looked for a couple of weeks, the contracts usually go fast. If you see one you are interested in you have to call ASAP. Our use year is Ok for Our fall trip but not the spring one. So we may buy another contract with a different use year for the spring trip, plus we need more points. I’m not thrilled that prices are 10-15 per point higher then when we bought. Good luck finding the right one. Some resorts had higher minimum buy ins when they opened. This is why most of the contracts are higher points. You will see a lot of 160 point contracts at AKV because that was the buy in at the time.

For me, only a week, but I got super lucky stumbling onto a contract that had just posted at ideal cost per point, points, and within a month or two of ideal UY. I checked over the next 2 months to see if it really was a lucky grab, and saw nothing as good as what I bought into.

Last edited:
I looked for a couple of months for an OKW September contract to match one I already have. Apparently, that’s a unicorn. In that time, I realized I could buy a larger contract for not much more than a smaller one due to the small contract premium. I ended up with 220 October points. It was a great price with full points... most others I had been seeing were stripped. Yes, there are some downsides to having two use years, but I look at it like having two bank accounts. Nothing I cannot handle.

There's a decent amount of BWV contracts in the 150 points range so I recommend to just keep looking - they'll pop up.

The first I found immediately, but when I'm stalking it's like the watched pot that never boils. What's with April use year anyway? There don't seem to be a lot of contracts posted. I have BWV and BC and I'd seriously like to add on at BC (I know lmao). I guess I'll have to call member services and try that way. :(

100 points is considered to be a small contract and those go rather quickly and for more $/pt. You might want to make contact with one of the brokers and let them know what you're looking for. Also, follow them on social media (Facebook, Twitter) as they often post new listings there before they go up on the website.

December UY has the largest number of DVC points allocated to it. March would be the hardest UY to to find at BWV. Feb, Apr and Jun UYs all have about the same number of points distributed to them. From an addon perspective, getting a Dec. UY would give you the greatest chances of success in finding a future contract to supplement your existing points. But as previously mentioned, a Jun UY would be the best for your travel dates.

I bought about this time last year, and contracts were selling in a matter of minutes. I downloaded one of the broker apps and as soon as the right contract popped up I immediately made the offer. It took about 6 weeks for the right contract to become available though, and I bought a very common Feb 160 point BLT contract. Reaching out to several brokers with something specific might be worth your time.

Bide your time. The right contract will come up. Also, don’t be afraid to offer less than the list price even if it is a 100-150pt contract. I’m in the process of closing on a 150pt contract that is as loaded as it gets. I have to wait until August to close per our terms (I think they have a trip booked), but that’s ok.

Took us about 6 months, but found a small AKLV contract, fully loaded, with the use year that fit what I wanted for under $100/point so we jumped on it! The main thing is to know what you want, be patient(easier said than done!), and you'll get the right fit for your family's vacationing plans.

I think the most important thing you need to decide is how many points you want, based on your accommodation/frequency of visits requirements. Opinions vary on whether use year matters, I happen to think it should be a consideration, so decide on what is best for you. Then start looking. You'll get a decent idea of where prices are at pretty quickly. Everyone on here has given good advice, I would just be careful about setting your requirements for the "perfect" contract so unrealistically that you never take action. If you think you'll find your UY and desired size contract, quadruple loaded, at January 2017 ROFR prices just by continuing to wait, it probably won't happen.

I'd recommend taking your time on what you buy. Plan ahead. If you aren't planning on going back for a year or so, don't be afraid to look at a contract that doesn't have points available right away, i.e. with banked points. We saved about $400 on our resale contract just by buying well before we were going to use the points. We weren't planning a trip right away, so we had the benefit of getting a "lesser" priced contract due to the point availability right then.

The other big thing is to look at how you are going to use the points over time. If you have younger kids right now, you may use more points for the next 5 to 10 years compared to someone with high school kids where they may not be vacationing with you for that much longer. That means you may want a 2 bedroom now, but will only need a studio years later when it's just two adults going. Or something along those lines.

We've gotten to the point where we do 3 trips in 12 months. The first with the kids in a 2 bedroom, the second just us adults in a studio, and then the last with the kids again in another 2 bedroom. That means we can get the annual pass for 1 year and save serious money on the ticket prices. Then we take 2 years or so off so we can do it again and get the most bang for our buck. In the future, I see us retiring and probably going every year in a studio just the wife and I. That is until the kids get married and start giving us grand kids. My kids are still in middle school and we are already looking at how we are going to use our points between now and when they graduate from high school, and beyond.

The market goes up and down as to what is available. Be patient and plan ahead. DVCer's tend to be planners anyway, so I'll assume you''re in that group.

I casually watched the resale sites for about 4 months, then started monitoring them weekly for a couple more months, trying to determine whether we REALLY wanted to add on to our Poly contract or add a different resort (also waiting for the right financial circumstances for our family to purchase) and finally when we were ready to pull the trigger (and saw prices creeping up!), it took a couple of weeks to find one we wanted to offer on... and another... and another... finally got a deal signed and sent to ROFR, which Disney took then another deal fell apart because the seller had incorrect info on the points available. Another week after that we got another contract to ROFR and we closed on it a few weeks ago.

Total time from "serious shopping" to points in account = 4 months. Resale is a great deal but you have to be SERIOUSLY patient and know what you're getting into. Also if you're not trying to match an existing UY, you probably have a lot more flexibility, so that should help save you some time. And be ready to offer IMMEDIATELY if you see something you want. Best of luck!

The one thing I found to be helpful was to download the apps and also sign up for emails regarding new listings.

At the Timeshare Store, Inc.® if you sign up for our email updates you will receive them Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at around 9 am. Of course, you can unsubscribe from the email at any time.

:earsgirl:I'm still a Newbie as I haven't even closed yet, but to answer your question... I read everything on DVC that I could find for a full month, made lists, then started looking for a great resale deal. I knew in my head what I wanted, and was lucky/blessed to find it in a matter of days! Seller's price was close to my ideal. I countered. They countered then stayed firm as I tried again. All in all I'm happy to say I'm getting a great deal in the long run even if present points are pretty stripped. I'm in it for the long hall!
My best advice is PATIENCE in a resale process.
Happy hunting to u!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter