How long to find your resale?

We investigated for a couple of years before we bought. Online info was limited back then and we still made mistakes.

:earsboy: Bill

For me, only a week, but I got super lucky stumbling onto a contract that had just posted at ideal cost per point, points, and within a month or two of ideal UY. I checked over the next 2 months to see if it really was a lucky grab, and saw nothing as good as what I bought into.
We got that kind of luck, offered what was asked, and the seller decided to pull their contract! Ugh! :( Back to the drawing board. So happy yours worked out though! Hope we get lucky again. :)

For me it was about 5 months... we made an offer on 300 point AKV contract in February 2017... took till last day to find out it was taken by Disney, so back to the drawing board... found another contract shortly after but only 180 points had the great idea to buy 2 resorts, closed in June 2017. I am loving it but now having hard time convincing my dh we still need more points! want to add on at bay lake... ugh.. I almost had my 300!!

We got that kind of luck, offered what was asked, and the seller decided to pull their contract! Ugh! :( Back to the drawing board. So happy yours worked out though! Hope we get lucky again. :)

Ugh. That had to be so frustrating. I'm sorry to hear that. At least it happened quickly, and didn't drag out until the very end, when they pull out just before signing the title over. You'll find what you are looking for eventually!

For me it was about 5 months... we made an offer on 300 point AKV contract in February 2017... took till last day to find out it was taken by Disney, so back to the drawing board... found another contract shortly after but only 180 points had the great idea to buy 2 resorts, closed in June 2017. I am loving it but now having hard time convincing my dh we still need more points! want to add on at bay lake... ugh.. I almost had my 300!!
I'm feeling you! we're looking for 300 at SSR right now. We've only been actively looking for about a week, but eventually if we don't find the right fit we may look at 2 smaller contracts. What a bummer to find out on the last day that Disney took it back! Glad you found something else though!

Ugh. That had to be so frustrating. I'm sorry to hear that. At least it happened quickly, and didn't drag out until the very end, when they pull out just before signing the title over. You'll find what you are looking for eventually!
Thanks! Yes, at least we found out after 2 days, before the paperwork started. Back to the daily site stalking :)

As expected, DVD will be increasing ROFR and making sold out resort sales to maintain income and people working as CCV sells out.

:earsboy: Bill

It took me about a month of seriously searching/stalking to have offers accepted on our 3 resale contracts, and by 2-3 months later I had points in my account for all contracts. I wasn't as focused on getting the best possible price since I would rather have the ideal home resort, UY, and size of contract. Additionally, I found myself spending a huge amount of time stalking listings and going back and forth on offers, and for me it just wasn't worth saving a little bit more money to try to hold out for the best possible deal. We still saved a ton over buying direct!

Also, don’t be afraid to offer less than the list price even if it is a 100-150pt contract.
Agree with this.

when I was buying, I made a spreadsheet of all the contracts and then sorted them and started at the ones that had the best value and fit my parameters. From there, I just started making offers to the brokers at a price that I was comfortable with. I didn't really care what it was listed at. I based my numbers off the ROFR thread here to get an idea of the market and I essentially started my bids based on those prices. Plenty of people declined, but then I hit on one a few days in.

Looks like BWV is selling for between $106-$130 -- with ~$115 as the average for 150 points. So if someone has it listed for $125 -- offer them $112 and see what happens.

I found one in about 2 weeks, we wanted 200 points at WL-BR. This was early this year. It was listed at a fair (in my mind) $95 because it came loaded with all the 2017 points, banked. We still offered less ($90) and he took it. I had made a chart of recent sales and current available contracts, watching the activity. There seemed to be more opportunity at getting a loaded one for about the price of a typical one, vs. getting a bargain on a stripped contract. I hope that makes sense. I sort of had a price in mind, and if I saw a loaded one for that price, that seemed like a good deal for us, bonus.

2 years ago we stayed a few nights at VGF and really loved it. While on the monorail ride from Epcot found a contract and made an offer. While relaxing in the lobby about an hour later the offer was accepted!

I’m new to DVC resale and wondering how long it has taken people to find their “ideal” resale contract. (I know this probably varies greatly).

I’ve been stalking the six recommended resale sites since we returned from our recent trip!

We also decided to buy our 1st DVC contract after our trip in April. We (and the kids) absolutely loved AKV. We found the perfect contract within 2 weeks, at a fantastic price, and jumped on it. After miraculously passing ROFR (contracts were getting taken left and right at AKV), our sellers appear to be backing out of the sale. We won't get our money back from the title company until mid-Aug so we'll be going back to the drawing board then.

My point is if you're sure buying DVC makes sense for you, but are not in a rush due to a planned trip, it's best to start your search/purchase early. This contract has wasted 4 months of our time, and we're back to square 1. Luckily we are not in a rush to purchase as we don't plan to go again until 2020.

A new roof is important! DVC is a luxury purchase. It will always be around when you are ready.

And better that you figured out you needed the roof BEFORE using the $ for DVC.

I bought DVC in Oct and the engine died in my "not that old, not too high-mileage" vehicle in November. Completely unexpected.

We are a 4 car family and already had another brand new car with lovely payments to match.

We always have emergency funds, but I do not like using them for cars. I'm still pissed about it. lol

One time it took us 8 months, and it seemed like FOREVER. But we were looking for Hilton Head, which isn't very large. Add to that the facts that we wanted a specific UY (although near the end, I was willing to consider "adjacent" months) and a narrow range of # of points. At the other extreme, the next time we bought a resale contract, we found what we wanted the first day-right resort, right UY, right # of points. So it really varies.

Just scored our first resale contract after 2 months of stalking. Same use year as direct contract, different resort. Purchased from a member that had contract since 2004.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter