How Long to Wait Before Cancelling?

tinkerbell1991

DIS Veteran
I'm due to fly out to Orlando from Manchester on 1st Oct to get married in Walt Disney World on the 5th.
Thankfully there are only 4 of us going out but we have still booked lots of things through Disney's Fairytale Weddings.
How long are any of you with upcoming trips waiting until before potentially cancelling your trip?
I'm hoping to hold out (I think) until July at the latest but just curious where everyone's heads are at x

Personally due to go August and not going whether travel allowed or not. However I’m waiting until just before our final payment date in June. This is as need to amend booking to next year so travel insurance still valid and hope free dining gets released so can maintain that.

Your situation however is far worse. I guess you’ve committed far more than we have. For us with Disney it’s £200 but other bits (Flights £3k Universal Tickets £1.1k and others) total out £4.5k. Emotionally yours is also a lot worse.

have you spoken to your insurers and Disney to find out your options? They may both be willing to help you move the date rather than completely cancel.

Good luck

We’re due to go mid September. We’re really unsure, we almost want to cancel now so we don’t have to keep worrying about it but we still really want to go! I don’t want to go if we have to wear face masks, it will be so hot and uncomfortable and out 3 year old won’t have any of it! Also I think the biggest problem is the travel ban on both sides and the prospect of quarantine on our return which won’t work for us!

I'm due to fly out in on November 5th, I'm currently looking at moving it to May next year, i could probably live with having to put a mask on myself but we're also taking a two year old and that will just be Impossible to keep on her. Along with the possibility of the parades and night-time shows not happening they're is also a good chance swimming pools and water parks will be very limited if open at all and if we're having to quarantine for 2 weeks once we return it's a no go from the start anyway. The trip is costing over £7000 anything less than near full operation of all parks & attraction's just isn't worth it for us personally.

I realise all of the above is complete speculation at the moment and just my hosest opinion at the moment. Fingers crossed things keep going in the right direction and we can get back to normal/New normal soon as possible.

I highly doubt after international travel will be allowed for tourism before September

I have a booking for 10th August... Balance is due mid-June...

I don't plan on going and currently holding off for free Disney dining for 2021... If that comes before the balance is due I'll transfer if not I'll cancel and lose my deposit unless they give it to me back

We’re due to go mid September. We’re really unsure, we almost want to cancel now so we don’t have to keep worrying about it but we still really want to go! I don’t want to go if we have to wear face masks, it will be so hot and uncomfortable and out 3 year old won’t have any of it! Also I think the biggest problem is the travel ban on both sides and the prospect of quarantine on our return which won’t work for us!
I'm thinking the same about the quarantine side as America is now showing that you have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you land plus when we fly back to the UK so for a 2 week holiday, I literally do not have an extra 4 weeks of annual leave I can use (or even 2 if I was able to work from home during my quarantine)

Personally due to go August and not going whether travel allowed or not. However I’m waiting until just before our final payment date in June. This is as need to amend booking to next year so travel insurance still valid and hope free dining gets released so can maintain that.

Your situation however is far worse. I guess you’ve committed far more than we have. For us with Disney it’s £200 but other bits (Flights £3k Universal Tickets £1.1k and others) total out £4.5k. Emotionally yours is also a lot worse.

have you spoken to your insurers and Disney to find out your options? They may both be willing to help you move the date rather than completely cancel.

Good luck
To be honest, Disney weddings and Disney world themselves have been great about moving dates so I'm not too worried about that, it's just I've waited 12 years for this so don't want to cancel but it's just a horrible waiting game at the moment

I'm due to fly out in on November 5th, I'm currently looking at moving it to May next year, i could probably live with having to put a mask on myself but we're also taking a two year old and that will just be Impossible to keep on her. Along with the possibility of the parades and night-time shows not happening they're is also a good chance swimming pools and water parks will be very limited if open at all and if we're having to quarantine for 2 weeks once we return it's a no go from the start anyway. The trip is costing over £7000 anything less than near full operation of all parks & attraction's just isn't worth it for us personally.

I realise all of the above is complete speculation at the moment and just my hosest opinion at the moment. Fingers crossed things keep going in the right direction and we can get back to normal/New normal soon as possible.
No I understand everything that you mean, just a horrible situation

I'm waiting to see what's going to happen, I don't really have a deadline. I might consider cancelling if we get to a point where we can get a full refund both from Disney and VA for the flights. But if the borders are open, we'll go as long as we can get travel insurance and we don't have to quarantine before and after the trip. I've already tested positive for the virus, so hopefully that means I won't have to quarantine either end if it's a requirement for our September trip.

We had our trip planned from 1st October for ten days. We don’t want to totally give up on our plans until we have to. The flights were paid in full, the room and tickets partially paid off so far. We too can’t take 6 weeks off work for a holiday. That’s going to be a huge issue for millions of people. They need to rethink that. That alone is going to be a bitter pill to take and I really think that the airport screening and temperature checks should be sufficient to allow healthy passengers to enjoy their vacations.
Heck at this point they could even tell us not to leave WDW or Universal Orlando properties to prevent folks picking up the virus whilst out there. I don’t mind wearing the face coverings or using the hand sanitiser in the parks. One thing is for sure not many folks will want the memory maker added to their bookings.
If it comes down to it and they say we can’t go at a month to three weeks out then we deal with the situation then of rebooking flights hotel and tickets. We still need to sort out Esta’s at the moment and we were due to sort out travel insurance when the lockdown started so that’s two more things to do at some point.

Hopefully we'll hear some more detailed information very soon on how they're planning on operating the parks. I guess they'll be monitoring Shanghai very closely to see what's working and what's not. As above I'd happily not leave WDW property for duration of my stay.

We had our trip planned from 1st October for ten days. We don’t want to totally give up on our plans until we have to. The flights were paid in full, the room and tickets partially paid off so far. We too can’t take 6 weeks off work for a holiday. That’s going to be a huge issue for millions of people. They need to rethink that. That alone is going to be a bitter pill to take and I really think that the airport screening and temperature checks should be sufficient to allow healthy passengers to enjoy their vacations.
Heck at this point they could even tell us not to leave WDW or Universal Orlando properties to prevent folks picking up the virus whilst out there. I don’t mind wearing the face coverings or using the hand sanitiser in the parks. One thing is for sure not many folks will want the memory maker added to their bookings.
If it comes down to it and they say we can’t go at a month to three weeks out then we deal with the situation then of rebooking flights hotel and tickets. We still need to sort out Esta’s at the moment and we were due to sort out travel insurance when the lockdown started so that’s two more things to do at some point.
Thank you for the response. Pretty much everything you have said is exactly where I am in terms of my thinking at the moment ☺️

I'm thinking the same about the quarantine side as America is now showing that you have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you land plus when we fly back to the UK so for a 2 week holiday, I literally do not have an extra 4 weeks of annual leave I can use (or even 2 if I was able to work from home during my quarantine)
The quarantine thing is a real problem. If the travel advice restriction is lifted then not going because of having to quarantine means you have chosen not to go and travel insurance will not pay out. We need the government to be realistic about this point.

The other thing is, even if I could somehow find additional annual leave to use, I would still have to book an additional 2 weeks of insurance to use while over there plus I'll have to move my flights back 2 weeks to schedule in with my wedding and resort stay.
Although it would devastate me, I'd just rather be told now that no we won't be open/open to visitors outside of the US etc that get so close and think ooh there's hope and suddenly it sets in 2 weeks beforehand or whatever that no we're not going.
Seriously going to have to make a decision by July as this isn't great mentally for anyone to worry about. I'm just hopeful that things are slowly opening over there but the rumours such as Florida residents will only be allowed in at the start, then expand to the rest of America and finally international scares me and for some reason I'm one of these silly people who believe everything I read even though nothing official has been released by WDW 🤦🏻‍♀️

The dream is postponed 😢
We took the plunge and contacted Virgin and took up their offer of an open ticket until September 2022 - I know how some of you feel about that and can hear the sharp intake of breath from here! We now need to pray that prices do not increase ridiculously. The Disney balance was due at the end of the month and we just couldn’t stand another few weeks of wondering. Whatever the outcome on travel this summer and whether WDW reopens, it would not be the holiday we had planned. After talking to Virgin DH then spent the morning cancelling airport hotels (premier inn was straightforward) and airport parking (which would only issue a voucher). Final email was to Disney. Like so many others, we felt we had the perfect holiday: flights, accommodation, dining plan, anniversary meal...
We hope to try again in 2022 and are looking at DLP for August 2021. Planning begins tonight 😁
Best wishes to the rest of you hoping to hang on to your dreams.

Did you cancel the Disney holiday or move it to next year? My balance is due on 7 June so debating whether to cancel or try moving to next summer.

We cancelled. We just felt the park would be incredibly busy next August both with people moving holidays from this year and with the 50th celebrations.
I do not think Aug 21 will be 50th busy, more likely that will start in October. Re-bookings maybe, but even then many who had saved up will have either had no work for a while or still have no job and no longer be able to afford to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!