How much do you give your child to spend?

D

dopeydays

Last year we let our daughter get whatever she wanted. It usually turned out to be about $80.00/day. This year I don't want too buy another suitcase for the trip home. How much money do you allow your child to spend on souveniers?

I have 4 kids that I have taken. A 17 year old male with NO MONEY SKILLS and no money; an 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and this year 14 year old girl that spends very little and works for her money, a boy that was 4,5,6,7,8, 9 and this year 10 with lots of wants and money that gets spent as fast has he gets it, and a boy 4 mo, 1,2,3,4,5 and this year 6.

They all make it known that they want money from Grandma for Christmas because we go in January or February. This usually gets them anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00. Last year Grandma was so impressed with what they purchased the year before she gave them $100.00.

We stay nearly 2 weeks.

First the girl. She shops and shops and on the last day we rush around to where whatever is that she finally decides on. She usually spends no more than $100.00.

Next the 10 year old boy wants everything and is reminded of his amount and he buys junk through out the trip. If by some strange fluk of nature, he is picking reasonable toys and not the things that will fall apart on the way home, I might add a little to his money but usually he takes ONLY what he received at Christmas (20-50)

Lastly the 6 yaer old. He shops and finds something. I remind him that at certain places I can get a discount and that we need to check those places. He generally does VERY well on deciding. For instance, 2000 he wanted the monarail. I didn't really like it be that was what he wanted. He played with it all year and when we went back in 2001, he got the Contemporary and additional track.

So I guess they spend about $50.00 through the whole trip each.
:earsgirl:

We have 2 DS's 15yo and 8 yo and we "give" them zilch, natta, nothing! We provide all of the things they need and a few perks but as far as extras and suveners they are on thier own. They save everything they get from earnings to gifts. They put half in the bank and are allowed to spend the other half as they choose. This works well in our household. My Youngest saves about $100 and the oldest has about $200. They like it better this way because mom has no say so on what they buy........lol

I would like to suggest that what works for one family may not work for another and to leave your options open for change. HTH

Good Luck,
Becca

I buy each of my kids a T shirt. Other than that, they're on their own. They each had about $35 of their own money saved. Neither one of them spent it all (on a 3 day trip.)

My next trip is in May with my three granddaughters (8, 8, and 4). For our 6 day trip they will each have $50 spending money. I will give them guidelines, but they will be allowed to spend it however they see fit. If one, or all of them, blow the entire bankroll on the first day, well, sobeit. But...they will know in advance that once the $50 is gone, that's it. (And they all KNOW I mean it, so I'm sure they will be wise spenders).

I give my son $100 and if he wants more it is out of his own money. Plus I give out extra money every day for video games.

There is another forum called" Advice on Money for the kids." It has gotten very heated and personal but has lots of good ideas and points of view. You might want to check it out. My DS is earning disney dollars for our 1 week stay in January. He will be in control of how much he earns for jobs, rewards ect. He will also get some for Christmas.He will most likely have about 20.00 per day. I will give it to him per day to help him budget. He can save from day to day for a bigger item latter in the week.This is what we are comfortable with and what works for us.
Jordan's Mom

Since age 6 Dd has saved her own WDW suvineer money, $100. for the whole trip. Because she has saved it and earned it,She gets to spend it with no say from mom or dad. But when it's gone it's gone!! :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

I have three kids and when we took them to Disneyland 2 years ago they were allowed to by one thing from each day. We encouraged Disney sweatshirts, watches, charms etc. no junk. One day my daughter wanted Pooh pens to color with that came in a purse.
This seemed to work great for us. If they got a charm or something they could still get a shirt. This included mom and dad. We were not there to shop but wanted everyone to have some stuff to take home. I think that is the way we are going to do it this Dec. on our first trip to WDW.

Ever since we started to take our daughter to WDW, she has had to save for the trip. Mom and Dad will buy the tshirts and sweatshirts from WDW, US/IOA, and Seaworld but she has to buy her own hairwrap and (I call some) junk toys (not really)! She will have about $200.00 for our next 12 day stay - so that really only averages to about $20.00 a day. It makes her really think about things especially when the money is getting low. She saves every penny she can for the trip. She also asks for money for just about everything. We also give Disney Dollars for special things. She sure has learned the value of a dollar from this.

Our DS saved up about $100. He spent it well, buying some pins, a sweatshirt, a couple of small toys, but he also purchased something for his teacher and his best friend. We were quite impressed...he didn't want to buy everything in sight...unlike 2.5 year old DD.

We let our then 6 year old daughter pick out two things during our trip. However, we didn't buy them until the end of the trip so she was sure that was what she wanted. She spent about 40 dollars on the two items.

I really like the way the kids respond when they save and earn their own money.

I work for my DH and the kids have come with me from birth. THe longest I stayed home was 13 days. Add that to homeschooling and you get a very adult schedule most of the time. We aren't able to take many weekends 'off'. Our shopping trips usually have at least one stop for work. From the time we get home from one trip, the kids start saving and earning all over again.

I slowly and consistently has them working toward a goal monetarily. (They always KNOW that each trip is questionable until we leave, but . . ) I have to admit though that there are a couple of times that I will buy something for them that I think they might like for the trip home or quiet time at the hotel or whatever. Usually art books or stencils, that sort of thing.

BTW, if my 6 year old DS has the dates counted down right, we leave in 100 days.

My 10 yo DD saved birthday and Christmas money, and had $150 on our last trip. And that's what she spent! I only remember a lanyard, a hat, and a hair wrap, but I know there was more. The only drawback to this was that she knew she had the money, and couldn't pass up a shop. She had to look, wherever we were. We got where we would just keep walking, and hope that her desire to not get lost would overcome her desire to shop. Worked pretty well most of the time, I had to go back occasionally.

We give DS $20 per day. This includes souvenirs and snacks like ice cream or candy. He never spends it all, and it goes into his bank when we get home.

We visited last Oct with 3 DS and 1 DD. They used saved pocket money and each had $7 (about £5) per day. This was plenty, they were allowed to save it up for more expensive items, and basically buy exactly what they wanted. We did treat them to a soft toy and a t-shirt each, my 16yr old DS brought half of his $ back home. We will increase it only slightly for Oct 2002 visit.

I keep a "Money Log" (old checkbook register) all year long. My son earns money from Report Cards, AR book tests, and odds and ends. Then, he gets to spend from the log. If it has to be shipped, he pays for that, also. If I buy something at the same time, I pay for shipping.

I have to rethink how I caculate how much he earns from reading books/taking test. I have always done it as follows:

Book has 100 pages- Grade Level 5.9 means 5.9 cents times 100 if he makes above an 80 on the test.

However, with harder and longer books- he earned alomost $400 for last summer's trip! Luckily, he did not spend it all, but I am still re-evaluating how he will earn money from now on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter