How much do you spend on groceries?

How much do you spend per person per week?

Votes: 6 3.5%

Votes: 13 7.6%

Votes: 15 8.8%

Votes: 14 8.2%

Votes: 27 15.8%

Votes: 7 4.1%

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • More than 50

Votes: 57 33.3%

• Total voters
I average $100-125/week for my son and I. That's everything Kroger sells, including paper products, dog food, personal products, batteries, OTC meds, etc. I used to do coupons when they came in the paper, but I don't care for online coupling. I buy what I want, which includes frozen meals for work lunch and a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. Plus my dog is a Mastiff, so the food...

The bigger the family, the easier it usually is to have a lower per person number. Also, those that garden a lot or those that eat out a lot (to include subsidized things like school lunches or paid work lunches) would both be able to be very low. Also, those that are vegetarian or keep meat proteins very low (say $2/lb or less) would be better able to be low, since that's a big per meal difference...

I mean, if I and my family were vegetarian, I could easily go that low with the stores around me that go so low on produce loss leaders...with tofu, beans, pasta, rices, and nuts cheap and some Aldi's loss leaders for dairy/milk/eggs, and I could probably swing it...but we're not vegetarian (and nowhere close b/c my family inhales lunch meat and does meat/fish proteins at dinner)...so, we spend more:)...
well we are a fam of 5. Empty nest now, pretty much. But 4 years ago, with all 3 kids in HS, I was spending at least $250/week and we were eating out half the time. And that was pretty much only weekend lunch and not much breakfast stuff.

Family of 3 and my goal is $100 a week for ‘regular shopping’ which covers Groceries/toiletries/paper goods etc. We stick fairly well to it- but it’s more a guideline vs rule .. compared to others we ‘eat cheap’ more often than not (we eat meatless/meat on the side several days a week)

I am one person and I average about $50 per week in a very high COL area. This includes toiletries and other household items. I eat at home/bring from home to work almost every meal.

I think the poll numbers are super low and I can't see how anyone could do it for $20pp per week. That's $80/week for a family of 4. I spend about $80-100 per trip to store and there are just two of us now. I go about once a week now but when two college DDs are home on break, I go twice a week at least. I also get two meals week delivered in meal delivery kits and we eat out about twice a week.

**but I am including all products such as laundry detergent, cleaners, toiletries, dog food and paper products.

I’m one who indicated $25 per person (4 people). I will spend more than $100 on a trip to the grocery store, but I based my weekly average one my monthly/annual spending. Some weeks I may do a huge stock up of over $150, but other weeks I may just pick up some fresh produce so it’s way less than $100.

well we are a fam of 5. Empty nest now, pretty much. But 4 years ago, with all 3 kids in HS, I was spending at least $250/week and we were eating out half the time. And that was pretty much only weekend lunch and not much breakfast stuff.

Just curious what foods you would normally buy to add up the that amount.

We eat basically all meals at home. (I work from home and DH and the kids all bring their lunches so those are also included in our grocery budget.). We almost never eat out unless we are traveling, at an event, etc.

I am fairly cost-conscious (like to buy things on sale), but I do not stick to a budget when shopping. I just buy whatever we want/need. It just happens to average out to about $100/week

There are 4 of us, and my grocery bill averages about $160 each week. We all pack lunches for school/work and we usually either eat out or order pizza one night each week.

I picked the $25 because the survey said "groceries" and I spend about $125/week at the grocery store. I was not counting toiletries/cleaning supplies, etc, just food. The other things I buy separately, usually when there's a good sale somewhere. DH also eats at work several times/week (about $5 each time) and the kids eat lunch at school a couples/week each. We don't eat other much otherwise.

ETA there are 5 of us

You need to consider where you live. Prices vary.

We live in Connecticut, and we (family of 3) spend between $250-$300 for food and household supplies weekly. We buy a lot of organic and healthier whole foods, and we try not to buy processed foods. We use coupons when we can, but don't buy something merely because it takes a coupon or is on sale.

$32.50pp per week, food only. Since I was between two choices, I rounded up and picked $35.

That covers DD18 and I, all breakfasts, lunches (we both pack) and dinner for all nights except 1 per week.

I used to keep to a tighter budget, but DD is a pretty good eater these days and I've upgraded the cuts of meat I buy a bit. I've worked hard all these years, I deserve to eat what I like :) although I am still not extravagant by any means. I don't coupon, unless one falls into my lap (or is stuck on the product at the grocery store LOL) but I do shop at a cheaper grocery store than many in the area and I watch sales.

This is in Northern CA. In-season produce tends to be cheaper than in many areas because so much is grown here, but things like meat often run more. I was appalled at the price of eggs when I first moved here way too many years ago.

Last edited:
There are two of us. I usually spend about $60-$70/week at Kroger on mostly just groceries (I will pick up household things if we are out and I don't feel like going to Target). I use tons of coupons and, like the OP, really dig in the "Whoo hoo" bins for deals.

About twice a month, I will go to Target for pet supplies/household/health and beauty and spend $75ish each time there.

It depends. There are only 2 of us, my husband and myself. Also, we have 2 adult cats. For groceries, I include all paper products and cat supplies.

We us Plated to get 3 meals a week for $60.00

Then we supplement with everything else. So, probably $125 per week.

There are two of us. I usually spend about $60-$70/week at Kroger on mostly just groceries (I will pick up household things if we are out and I don't feel like going to Target). I use tons of coupons and, like the OP, really dig in the "Whoo hoo" bins for deals.

About twice a month, I will go to Target for pet supplies/household/health and beauty and spend $75ish each time there.

Woohhooo deals are my jam. They keep doing things like four bell peppers for a buck, or simple truth ham for a dollar a pound.

We're at anywhere between $125 and $200 per week depending on schedule. Its DH and I plus 2 teenage DS that eat everything that doesn't run away from them! Oh, and that's people food, cat food, litter, cleaning products, toilet paper ...

We are a family of 5 and including household items (tp, cleaners, toothpaste, ect) we spend about $350-$400/wk. We buy mostly organic products and grass-fed/organic meats. I don't coupon unless I have one on an item I am already buying. I do stock up when items we normally buy are on sale.

Family of 2 and we spend $125-$150 week and that includes all household cleaners, laundry detergent, paper products, etc.

We live in a high COL area and DH had a heart attack about a year and a half ago. He hates poultry so we eat a lot of fish, which is expensive. We also eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, which aren't bad now, but can get expensive in the winter. We don't buy any processed foods and cook everything from scratch so that we can control the sodium and fat content. The good news is that my cholesterol, which wasn't bad to begin with, has dropped too.

I am one person and I average about $50 per week in a very high COL area. This includes toiletries and other household items. I eat at home/bring from home to work almost every meal.
I am one person as well. I love in NYC which is very high cost of living.
How in the world do you do that ??
I spend almost 3 times that amount. I also bring breakfast and lunch to work and very seldom eat out.

I am one person as well. I love in NYC which is very high cost of living.
How in the world do you do that ??
I spend almost 3 times that amount. I also bring breakfast and lunch to work and very seldom eat out.

Food is NYC is actually more expensive than LA (I've lived in both). But even when I lived in NYC I definitely wasn't spending $150 per week on food. Not sure how I do it that cheaply, I don't eat a ton I guess.

We average $200 a week for our family of 5. While I don't coupon like I use to when my boys were little, I mostly shop at Fred Meyers (our area's chain of Kroger) using their sales and ecoupons. When there are good deals, I stock up. We get our meat from a local natural foods store since we eat grass-fed/free range animal products, so that is a huge part of our bill. I also include our household/toiletries items in the food budget becuase they all come from the same stores and they are a neccessity. I remember when my two oldest boys were little, our grocery budget was $400 for the month. I miss those days!

I need to try to do better; some of you are very inspiring. I think I need to stop doing ALL my grocery shopping at Publix; they may be on the high side price-wise.

There is an Aldi's about 20 minutes away from me, and I think there's a Kroger around somewhere fairly nearby. Do these tend to have lower prices? I've never been to an Aldi's. I really like Publix and they're everywhere, so I never go anywhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!