How much money for kid soueniers?

We did $50 for each of our girls last trip (they were gifts from grandparents). It was plenty for them and one found it hard to spend! The other was easy and quick to spend!

DD8 has generally had about $50 US to spend. Her Nana has usually given her $20 US and we typically give her $25-$30 US as well. This last Time she had more due to Birthday$$. She usually gets a shirt, toy, and we buy a stuffy. She also picks out a smaller item to bring back for her cousins.

We never really have a set budget for the kids when it comes to souvenirs. My main concern was whether it would fit in our luggage flying back home. Souvenirs such as make your own light sabers and collector pins are pricey, and since we only visit WDW once a year at most, we are ok with letting them buy things that are unique and not available at home.

I typically give each of my children $10 per day. But they are also responsible for any extra snacks they might want over and above the one snack I'll buy them per day.

$75 is a good amount. My kids typically have between $50-$100 in Disney gift cards when we go. They know that once it's gone, it's gone. It's amazing how much more selective they are with their purchase when they know it's "their" money versus mine :)

Our DD9 had $80 US. It was plenty for the stuff she was buying. I did talk her out of a Banshee and a couple of other items which would have used up most of her money. She bought a really cute Ewok stuffy from the Star Wars store though.

Our kids save up their birthday/christmas money for the year and then we top whatever that amount is up to 100USD. That's what they get for the entire trip for whatever they'd like. Sometimes they want the first thing they see. Other times they've waited to see what was around.
We also buy them a small thing here or there such as a bubble wand.

Those bubble wands were annoying. Kids had them going at the eating areas and bubbles flying into your food. Parents not controlling it at all.

We used to give each of the kids $50 Usd, and they could add that to anything they had saved. Generally they would have money leftover from a birthday or something and would go with $75 to $100. Now they are older (20 and 13) and bring more money of their own, but we still give them the $50 :). Inevitably my daughter buys something for her friends, nothing for herself and comes home with half her money. My son on the other hand agonizes over every purchase but always spends every single penny by the time we leave. They are so opposite.

I should mention that they have been so many times now that they don’t buy much in the parks besides snacks .. all of their money gets spent offsite on our shopping day. DD loves Target.

Last edited:
On our trip we did 7 days at Disney and hopped over to Universal for 2 days. At the time our daughter was 10, and she worked hard and managed to earn herself some money by doing chores, helping the grandparents etc.. and with what she earned plus some extra we and others gave her, she took about $120 U.S. with her. She managed to get herself 3 different Disney shirts, some Universal souvenirs, an autograph book plus a few other bits and pieces and she had about $25 left over at the end. I asked her the other day if she felt she had enough money and she said she had no regrets.

We give our kids $10/day (USD) while traveling. We're doing a cruise beforehand and then Disney, so that's $130 each of them. They usually don't spend it all and they get to keep the rest.

I think it’s enough, I might go with $50 for that age. Also I’d have them wait till the last few days to decide what they want to buy. Maybe make notes of where they saw the things that interested them. This would avoid them spending too early, then later they see something they really want but don’t have money left for.
I do this for myself! I wait till the last 4 days before I make my purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts