How much paid vacation do you get?

How may weeks paid vacation do you have?

• Total voters

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
About 25% of all American workers get no paid vacation. The average American worker gets two weeks. I know a few now that get no paid vacation, but unlimited unpaid leave.
My employer starts everyone at two weeks. You get three weeks after five years, four weeks after 10 years, and five weeks after 30 years. Not sure how they decided to have a 20 year gap to the final step in vacation accrual. Funny thing is, out of 100 or so employees we have none that have worked there 15 to 30 years. It is either over 30 or less than 15, not sure how that happened either.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/05/her...n-days-the-typical-american-worker-gets-.html

Five weeks and a day. Four more years when I get to 30 years I will get 6

1 year. 1 week
2 years. 2 weeks
5 years 2 weeks and three days
7 years. 3 weeks
13 years 3 weeks and three days
15 years. 4 weeks
23 years. 4 weeks and three days
25 years. 5 weeks and a day
30 years. 6 weeks

30 is the max

I get paid 28 days vacation and get paid for 20 sick days and I work for private college. I cannot carry over either to the following year. We use or loose.

My former employer (as of yesterday) was 5 weeks PTO. New employer (starting Monday) has 22 vacation, 10 sick, 2 floating holidays and 10 personal days.

Oops. 3 personal days.

Last edited:

I get 27 days of PTO. This includes vacation, sick days and holiday pay. I've been there over 12 years and this is the max we get.

I get 15 days of vacation, a birthday day off and two weeks of sick time.

My last job I started at 17 days of PTO—it was all one bank, not divided sick/vacation. At 3 years, I got bumped up to 22.

None.

I am a school secretary in a small private school. I can take time off during the school year as needed for dr appts, sick kids, etc., and I have taken 2 days before Thanksgiving break off the last two years, but it is unpaid. During the summer, I can take off as much as I want to between the week after school ends and the end of July, as long as the things I HAVE to have done are finished first (GPAs, transcripts sent, etc) and someone else is in the office (there are 3 of us total). None of that is paid, and I don't get paid for Christmas break, Thanksgiving break, snow days, etc.

As a teacher I got paid a salary based on contracted days of the school year and salary was simply divided and paid out in 12 installments, so no paid vacation days. During contracted days, there were 3 paid personal days I could take and generous sick leave allowances though. Since teachers don't work year round, sometimes people perceive those days not working as paid vacation days, but that's not how it works. It's an entirely different system.

When I worked at the library, I got three weeks paid vacation plus some sick leave.

Now I'm only a sub at both, so no leave provided.

Last edited:
None. Self employed. So not only do I get no paid time off, I have to PAY SOMEONE to take take care of my business when I do go away. I also don't get any normal days off. I work 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

I don't get any. My employer is very flexible about me taking as much time off as I'd like, but it is unpaid time.

4 weeks (20 days) after 10 years. I completed 12 years two months ago.

It will go to the maximum of 5 weeks(25 days) after 20 years.

I get 30 days vacation/personal paid time off plus 10 holidays paid. The 30 days started after I had been there for 5 years and that’s the max.

My husband gets 4 weeks now that he’s hit 10 years. I don’t think he’ll get another bump up until 15 or 20 years and that’ll be his max 5 weeks.

My former employer (as of yesterday) was 5 weeks PTO. New employer (starting Monday) has 22 vacation, 10 sick, 2 floating holidays and 10 personal days.

Oops. 3 personal days.
:thumbsup2 That's a VERY nice package to start off with. Is that their standard or was it negotiated?

I'm at 5 weeks after 13 years; starting package was 3 weeks with the bump after 10 years. They can be banked, or you can dip into next year's days with a signed "repayment" agreement and manager's approval. My next increment will be 7 weeks after 20 years.

Sick days are different - 7 per year with no carry-over. Excess sick leave is at the company's discretion but if it's anything at all serious or foreseeably longer than a couple of days the employee will be forced onto our short-term disability insurance.

I am a contracted teacher (sept to June) for a private school. We get all school holidays and 7 additional PTO days plus birthday off.

There is an option to work a
6 week summer program. If you do you get 2 PTO days to use in the summer

I get paid 28 days vacation and get paid for 20 sick days and I work for private college. I cannot carry over either to the following year. We use or loose.
We had a big stink 2 years ago about carrying over vacation. Some changes at Corporate, complicated by the fact we were the only location in California collided head on. Corporate wanted to go from allowing 1.5 times your annual vacation allowance, to "use it or lose it". In the process they discovered both were illegal in California. California law says you have to allow employees to carry over a "reasonable" amount of vacation. And while this is not set in stone, the law used the example of "200 hours" as "reasonable". Rumor is they went to a lot of lawyers and spent a lot of time trying to find a way around that until they came up for a policy just for us in California. You can carry over 150 hours, and once you get to 150 hours, you will be "assigned" vacation days off by your manager. However, the local HR person says there is wiggle room there since our cap is so far below the "suggested" cap.

Voted "more than 8 weeks" because PTO is unlimited, take what you need. It works well for the company because nobody wants to be "that" employee that takes a bunch of vacation.

Before they switched over, it was 7 weeks PTO (25 years) although never took the full 7 weeks. Averaged 4-5 a year. There was no rollover.

We start out at 4 weeks plus we have a 2 week shutdown over Christmas, so 6 weeks total.

We also get 12 sick days and 3 days of paid leave over Thanksgiving.

We can carry over unlimited sick time, which also can be used to buy out retirement time. For vacation, we are allowed to carry over a max of 320 hours. Anything over that is lost if not used. I've been maxed out for about 5 years now. I'm going to lose about 50 hours if I don't use it by the end of the year.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter