How much paid vacation do you get?

How may weeks paid vacation do you have?

• Total voters
five weeks but considering I work a 4 & 2. It is more like six weeks but I also get 15 holidays which can be used as vacation time and I can also work overtime is comp time so 12 hours for every 8 hours worked it can be more
And five personal days which can also be used as vacation time

As a teacher I got paid a salary based on contracted days of the school year and salary was simply divided and paid out in 12 installments, so no paid vacation days. During contracted days, there were 3 paid personal days I could take and generous sick leave allowances though. Since teachers don't work year round, sometimes people perceive those days not working as paid vacation days, but that's not how it works. It's an entirely different system.

When I worked at the library, I got three weeks paid vacation plus some sick leave.

Now I'm only a sub at both, so no leave provided.

Teachers really aren't any different than any other salaried worker. You are paid for a task, not for hours worked. If you can get the task done in 6 hours a day, you get paid the same as someone who needs 16 hours a day. So technically, you are never being paid for days or hours worked, even during the school year. I worked in a salaried job for 16 years that it was not uncommon to have to work a 6th day. Most bosses would give you time off in compensation for that, but not all. But both made it clear that you were being paid $XX,XXX took to complete the task without regard to how many hours or days it took

Last edited:
4 weeks annually and you can keep banking till you hit 6 weeks.

You get this from day 1.

Salaried employees start with 3 weeks. Get 4th week at 5 years and 5th week at 10 years. Maxes out at 5 weeks. I get my 4th week next year. We have unlimited sick time unless it is abused. All vacation time is use it or lose it each year.

Much different system for hourly employees.

When DH retired in 2010 he got 10 weeks vacation a year but then he'd been there for 40 yrs too. He got paid holidays but almost always HAD to work them meaning he got his holiday pay plus double time not bad for minor holidays. He NEVER got any other paid time off sick or personal days ect.

Also more yrs than not worked 7 days a week 10 to 12 hr days.

Technically I get 4 weeks "vacation". But then there's personal time, sick time, paid holidays, floating holidays, summer half days. In a year where I used my sick time I'd have just over two months PTO.

I started a new job and didn't negotiate vacation. Usually try to push for an extra week, but was kinda out of work so I didn't bring ask.
Then I found out we start with four weeks.
So I was pleasantly surprised.

I went to 4 weeks after 10 years and that is it even if I stay another 10 years. I also have 2 personal days, 5 sick days, and 8 holidays. People who were grandfathered in when the company was bought a year before I started can accrue up to 6 weeks at 25 years and they have 4 personal days. Also, every 5 years (10,15,20 etc) I get an anniversary week added in just for use that year.

My husband gets at least 8 weeks off a year, 12 annual stat holidays, 4 days bereavement leave and 18 bankable sick days. When I left my last job I was getting 6 weeks holidays a year and 12 sick days that weren’t bankable.

In Ireland its the law that all employees, whether hourly or salaried, from the burger flipper in McDonalds to the multinational CEO get 28 days paid holidays per year. This 28 days does not include weekends or public / national holidays. For example,
finish work on Friday 20 October and back to work Monday 5 November is only counted as 9 holiday days, as 2 Saturdays, 2 Sundays and the Halloween public holiday Monday 29 October are not counted.

In addition, if a person is sick for more than 6 consecutive days, ie in hospital the person will get paid. Also it is the law that every woman can have 26 weeks of paid maternity leave with an addition optional 16 weeks unpaid leave.

I get 24 paid days a year. I started out at 12 days a year and then at some point it went up to 18 and then later to 24. I've been there forever though (22 years) and am maxed out.

We also get a lot of sick time but for the last several years I still ended up using unpaid FMLA due to my dd having numerous health issues. Thankfully it's getting better.

I have 28 days of PTO a year and we can carry up to 20 from one year to the next.

However, as of January 1st, I will have unlimited PTO. Holiday and Bereavement will still be separate banks of hours.

Im just amazed that a minimum wage burger flipper who is paid by the hour and has worked for the company for 1 year in Ireland gets more paid holidays than some of you who earn double and have been with your companies for almost 10 years!

I have been retired for ten years, but when I worked, I got five weeks of paid vacation, plus Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day off (paid). We also got MLK Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Black Friday. No complaints from me. It was the BEST!

15 days vacation, 3 personal days, 10 sick days (which we can carry over) and paid holidays (and we take them all). I usually end up taking another week without pay.

I get no paid time off, but I am considered a per diem employee and am paid at a higher rate to reflect the lack of paid benefits. I knew the deal when I took the gig.

I earn PTO per pay = 6.2 hours earned every 2 weeks, which is just over 4 weeks paid time off. I've been with the company 3 years. At 5 years, it bumps up to 7.8 hours earned per pay (just over 5 weeks), and bumps to 6 weeks at 10 years. You can bank until you reach 300 hours, then you stop earning so it's in your best interest to use it or you lose the benefit.

They also offer 2.2 hours per pay in a bank for extended sick time. If you get very ill, have surgery, or need to be off on medical, you can draw from that bank. Only during those instances can they be accessed, and if you don't ever need them, they go away when you leave or retire. They are just nice to have "in case" to bridge the couple weeks before disability kicks in.

Per year, I get about 35 days of annual leave, which is combined vacation and sick time. I can accrue up to one year's worth (2080 hours) of annual leave before I stop accruing. This is after working for 9 years for the company.

Up to 3 years working for the employer, one gets approximately 24 days of annual leave.
3 years to 9 years, one gets approximately 30 days of annual leave.
After 9 years, one gets approximately 35 days of annual leave.

Plus 10-13 paid holidays.

I get 12 days vacation, 12 sick days and up to 2 personal days if I don’t use the sick leave. We do get all the federal holidays. It’s not enough. At 5 years, I will get an extra 2 hours per month. At 15, it’s an additional 2 hours plus a month long sabbatical every 5 years after that.
Currently, I am trying to stockpile my time off so I can take a longer trip next summer. I’ll probably work over the holiday break, which I didn’t really want to, but I hate wasting time off when I get so little.
In my previous company I started with 4 weeks of vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter