How much paid vacation do you get?

How may weeks paid vacation do you have?

• Total voters
My first nursing job I was at for 20 years. Ours was based on hrs worked. There was no max and you never lost them. We had the chance to sell so much off into our retirement accounts 2x a year which most employees did. I am at a new job now and I get 6hrs a month. If I attend all meetings and get all my computer learning done over the first yr anniversary I get like an additional 2-3 weeks. There is no cap. I only work 4 days a week so I can take a 4 day weekend anytime and never have to take a PTO. If I get sick I still can work a weekend shift to make up for that day.

Voted "more than 8 weeks" because PTO is unlimited, take what you need. It works well for the company because nobody wants to be "that" employee that takes a bunch of vacation.

Before they switched over, it was 7 weeks PTO (25 years) although never took the full 7 weeks. Averaged 4-5 a year. There was no rollover.
I've never heard of this arrangement before, barring another pp up-thread that mentioned it. How does it work, functionally? What happens to "those" people that take too much time off? How would you even judge that? On the face of it, it sounds amazing - don't feel like working today? Don't go to work. But I'm sure it must be more complicated than that. :confused:

I've never heard of this arrangement before, barring another pp up-thread that mentioned it. How does it work, functionally? What happens to "those" people that take too much time off? How would you even judge that? On the face of it, it sounds amazing - don't feel like working today? Don't go to work. But I'm sure it must be more complicated than that. :confused:

There is still parameters around what is a normal expectation of time off and you still need to get your job done. It is more for special circumstances like if you have a special anniversary and you want to take a bit of a longer trip, no stress about not having enough PTO banked.

And you still need to schedule it ahead of time, in most cases. You do not get to wake up in the morning, not want to go to work and claim vacation. I mean you can do that technically, but if it becomes habit it is going to become a performance issue.

And in my industry (public accounting) even though you are salaried, all levels, even partners need to do time sheets. So you need to enter the time off as PTO. Something tells me that if you are taking excessive PTO (like 50 days a year) for a couple of years, the company will decide they may not need your position. It is designed for flexibility, some years you may have circumstances where you need more, others where you need less.

3 paid "personal" days, 6 paid sick days (5 for the rest of the school year because I already used one), and 5 unpaid days.

There is still parameters around what is a normal expectation of time off and you still need to get your job done. It is more for special circumstances like if you have a special anniversary and you want to take a bit of a longer trip, no stress about not having enough PTO banked.

And you still need to schedule it ahead of time, in most cases. You do not get to wake up in the morning, not want to go to work and claim vacation. I mean you can do that technically, but if it becomes habit it is going to become a performance issue.

And in my industry (public accounting) even though you are salaried, all levels, even partners need to do time sheets. So you need to enter the time off as PTO. Something tells me that if you are taking excessive PTO (like 50 days a year) for a couple of years, the company will decide they may not need your position. It is designed for flexibility, some years you may have circumstances where you need more, others where you need less.
Thanks for explaining. I work for a very, very conservative and conventional 65 y.o. private company and I doubt they'd ever evolve to a system like that. Our policies and procedures are pretty "buttoned-down".

And I'm snickering thinking of a few of my direct-reports that are always skirting right on the edge of exploiting our relatively generous, discretionary allowance for "personal time". I'm challenged to reign them in from making their pet's vet appointments and renewing their drivers' licenses and whatnot during company time.

I'm a school librarian. I get about 19 annual leave days a year, 10 sick days a year, and 2 personal days a year. Annual leave cannot be used when students are in school so basically its used for a week at Christmas and a week at Easter. If we use a personal day, they charge us $50 to pay for the sub. We can only have 30 annual leave days and 5 personal days built up. After that, they convert to sick leave.

Thanks for explaining. I work for a very, very conservative and conventional 65 y.o. private company and I doubt they'd ever evolve to a system like that. Our policies and procedures are pretty "buttoned-down".

And I'm snickering thinking of a few of my direct-reports that are always skirting right on the edge of exploiting our relatively generous, discretionary allowance for "personal time". I'm challenged to reign them in from making their pet's vet appointments and renewing their drivers' licenses and whatnot during company time.

When else can they make appointments? Most vets and dmv’s are only open Monday- Friday 8-5. Doctor’s offices also operate mon-fri only, so it’s extremely difficult to make appointments outside of work hours.

Less than 5 years - 3 weeks and 2 personal paid days

5-10 years - 4 weeks and 3 personal paid days

10-20 years - 5 weeks and 3 personal paid days

20+ years - 6 weeks and 3 personal days. Very few make it this far due to burnout.

You can carry over 5 vacation days
Personal days are use or lose.
18 sick days- you can bank up to 80

Well, on an average week many of us work more than 40 hours even during non busy season. So an hour or two for an appointment does not necessarily result in having to record any kind of personal or PTO as you are over 40 hours for the week anyway. However, things like this are going to be more of an issue for our administrative staff who are paid hourly and do not necessarily work more than 40 hours a week.

It will be interesting. However, I think most people will use it in the spirit it in intended. I believe it will be the usual suspects that we end up having to police.

When else can they make appointments? Most vets and dmv’s are only open Monday- Friday 8-5. Doctor’s offices also operate mon-fri only, so it’s extremely difficult to make appointments outside of work hours.
We don't have DMV's here. Our licensing is done through private registry offices and services are widely available nights and weekends. Not sure about vets but pet care does not fall within our "family support" policy perimeters. Everyone has a generous allowance of time for medical appointments for themselves and their dependent family members.

Been at the bank for 32 years so I get the max - I have 33 PTO days, 10 holidays and 2 floating days. We can carry over up to 40 hrs PTO each year but you have to use it by mid-March the following year or you lose it.

Zero. I own my own business and my wife has her own business. When we vacation, she closes her store and my employees run mine. I have to factor the money we lose in with the money we will spend when we vacation.

Teachers really aren't any different than any other salaried worker. You are paid for a task, not for hours worked. If you can get the task done in 6 hours a day, you get paid the same as someone who needs 16 hours a day. So technically, you are never being paid for days or hours worked, even during the school year. I worked in a salaried job for 16 years that it was not uncommon to have to work a 6th day. Most bosses would give you time off in compensation for that, but not all. But both made it clear that you were being paid $XX,XXX took to complete the task without regard to how many hours or days it took
In my district we have contracted hours we are required to be at work, but otherwise are off duty. Most teachers do take home work or spend extra time at school to get the job done, though, myself included.

I earn 10 days PTO per year, and they carry over each year. Since having kids I end up using them all every year, whether for an out of town trip or the kids or I become sick.

I get 6 weeks a year starting this year when I made 15 years with the company. We accrue time very pay period and can bank up to 10 weeks before you stop accruing.

In my company those would be acceptable reasons to take personal time. You can take half-days for personal use, but they are supposed to be approved in advance.

I snickered when one of my employees called out "sick" because she had an appointment to get a tattoo that day.

In my company those would be acceptable reasons to take personal time. You can take half-days for personal use, but they are supposed to be approved in advance.

I snickered when one of my employees called out "sick" because she had an appointment to get a tattoo that day.
With my staff (one in particular) it's always impromptu "gotta step out right now" type of issues. A couple of my favorites were "I need to run home and water my lizard" and "I need to run home - I'm not wearing the right underwear for this outfit". :rotfl2:

Seriously though, it makes me feel like an elementary school hall monitor and I resent it. I addressed it with the person formally at a performance review and fired another staff member that had an even more significant problem with absenteeism. Things have been much better since.

Teachers really aren't any different than any other salaried worker. You are paid for a task, not for hours worked. If you can get the task done in 6 hours a day, you get paid the same as someone who needs 16 hours a day. So technically, you are never being paid for days or hours worked, even during the school year. I worked in a salaried job for 16 years that it was not uncommon to have to work a 6th day. Most bosses would give you time off in compensation for that, but not all. But both made it clear that you were being paid $XX,XXX took to complete the task without regard to how many hours or days it took

Can you please explain what you mean by this? As a teacher, my contract day is 7:45 am to 4:15. Students are in our classes from 8:05-4:05 this year. Are you saying that if I can teach my 7 classes in 6 hours I can leave early? If so, I need to figure out how I can teach my 6x57 min periods and 1x30 min advisory period in only 6 hours!

To answer the OPs question, we get up to 9-15 cumulative days per year, depending on how long you've been in the district. We can use them for any reason but there are restrictions on when we can use them. We can't take the day before or after a holiday break or we get docked $500-$650 plus lose the day. Our principal has decided that he will write people up if they use more than 2 days this year. (I've already used 2.5 and when he tried to write me up I laughed at him and refused to sign the paper. I'm not his favorite teacher right now as I'm fighting him on this.)

I agree with part of your theory because certainly many salaried people work long hours to accomplish their tasks, but as mentioned above teachers (and probably many other salaried workers too) have minimum hours they are expected to be there and ALSO minimum tasks they are expected to get done. I only addressed paid days off, because teachers are paid for days in which attendance is expected. We sign a contract that is very specific about days and hours where attendance is required. I'm honestly confused by what your post has to do with paid time off. I've known many salaried workers who get vacation days as part of their package. Others get contracted only for what they do work, like teachers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter