How RotR BG's ruined HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

choirfarm

DIS Veteran
Ok, I'm going to try to post a new thread, maybe it will not get deleted. However, since it is anti-Disney it probably will. There were SO many off posts ( especially about the charts on that thread) that to get it deleted without a message... just RUDE!

The RoTR has completely ruined the Hollywood Studios experience. I am telling all of my friends not to go for several years. It isn't just that the BG's are gone in 1-3 minutes, but the fact that it makes the parks SO much more crowded now. The waits are insane. If you are staying on-site, then you might get some FP's, but otherwise... We stayed offsite..paid 1400 for the 8 nights for the 5 of us to have an entire house. ( Our kids are young adults.) To stay onsite would have been 5 times that much. We paid over 600 dollars for our one day ticket. We were lucky and did get to ride first thing, but when we got off the lines were completely unmanagable. SO MANY PEOPLE.

Now you have to be on your phone the whole time you are there. Everyone is staring at it waiting for 7 to get a BG. Then you are constantly trying to keep track of times...TOT is only 45 minutes RUN, but then you get there and it is now 90 minutes... Or if you have a later BG's then you are constantly watching it to make sur eyou don't miss it... To move around FP's to accomodate your BG.

Now with only have an hour window that totally screws up even people who planned with FP and ADR's. You can get stuck in the cue for several hours if it breaks down, thereby missing several FP or ADR. Yes, they will probably reschedule you. But for us, a party of 5 or bigger parties- trying to squeeze you into a restaurant will not be easy. And then how many FP's will they be able to redo??? What a nightmare for the CM's.

Before I said to get your BG ride your one ride at rope drop and if you have any FP's and leave, but now with this 1 hour window, that isn't feasable. Just stay far, far away from HS until they open up maybe 4 or 5 more rides and can accomondate the crowds. When I came back in 2008, I did not wait in any line EVER because I planned. Now, that isn't possible, especially if you stay off-site.

Ok, I'm going to try to post a new thread, maybe it will not get deleted. However, since it is anti-Disney it probably will. There were SO many off posts ( especially about the charts on that thread) that to get it deleted without a message... just RUDE!

The RoTR has completely ruined the Hollywood Studios experience. I am telling all of my friends not to go for several years. It isn't just that the BG's are gone in 1-3 minutes, but the fact that it makes the parks SO much more crowded now. The waits are insane. If you are staying on-site, then you might get some FP's, but otherwise... We stayed offsite..paid 1400 for the 8 nights for the 5 of us to have an entire house. ( Our kids are young adults.) To stay onsite would have been 5 times that much. We paid over 600 dollars for our one day ticket. We were lucky and did get to ride first thing, but when we got off the lines were completely unmanagable. SO MANY PEOPLE.

Now you have to be on your phone the whole time you are there. Everyone is staring at it waiting for 7 to get a BG. Then you are constantly trying to keep track of times...TOT is only 45 minutes RUN, but then you get there and it is now 90 minutes... Or if you have a later BG's then you are constantly watching it to make sur eyou don't miss it... To move around FP's to accomodate your BG.

Now with only have an hour window that totally screws up even people who planned with FP and ADR's. You can get stuck in the cue for several hours if it breaks down, thereby missing several FP or ADR. Yes, they will probably reschedule you. But for us, a party of 5 or bigger parties- trying to squeeze you into a restaurant will not be easy. And then how many FP's will they be able to redo??? What a nightmare for the CM's.

Before I said to get your BG ride your one ride at rope drop and if you have any FP's and leave, but now with this 1 hour window, that isn't feasable. Just stay far, far away from HS until they open up maybe 4 or 5 more rides and can accomondate the crowds. When I came back in 2008, I did not wait in any line EVER because I planned. Now, that isn't possible, especially if you stay off-site.
I would be happy to see RotR move to the fp system at this point.

I agree with the negative impact to park overall - especially at rope drop as soooo many people are coming to get their BG and then staying to rope drop another ride that the lines build super quick

It does seem like later in the day things are much better with even things like Smuggler's Run being near walk on near park closing.

I understand why they need something like the BGs for RotR and is better than being in a 10 hour long standby queue not knowing if you will even get to ride and not being able to do anything else while waiting ... But it has negatively impacted rest of park and made planning for your DHS day much more stressful

I get what you are saying. I'm hoping the new attractions opening will help with the crowds but I just don't know at this point. I'm not that interested, but my son is already tied up in knots over the possibility he won't be able to get a BG. We bought the 4 day ticket, and if we miss it, there's no going back unless we spend more money. This trip is going to be our last for a while because DH is going to retire later this year, and we will have to cut back. Prices at WDW keep soaring and we will have to wait longer in between. Planning is stressful and like you said, the possibility of not getting a BG just adds to it. Plus, it's not something you can plan for. This isn't going to make me cancel, but just the thought of all of us having to get to HS super early and rush into the park with our phones engaged does add to the anxiety. I have always disliked having to plan, and with now having additional planning, plus the possibility of all the planning going out the window because of 1 attraction, now add to it MMRR, and no telling how they plan to implement passes for that. (sound of head exploding)
One question: Does anyone know if (say you aren't successful getting a BG assignment as soon as park opens), do any become available later in the day if you stay on your phone and keep trying to join one?
Also, do you still get the $10.00 PP charge for an ADR no show if you're stuck in the queue?

Not having experienced it yet, but I can totally see all of OPs points.

On the good side of BG, everyone is equal starting out. Meaning...if Rise of the Resistance is on FP and you have a short trip booked or are off side, there is no way you would ever score a FP for it. So with BG, you show up before rope drop like everyone else, and you have a chance to get assigned a number and ride it.

But with BG, your whole day revolves around the single ride as OP stated and it can mess up your other plans. Plus, you have no choice but to rope drop (and from what I read, it seems like its hard to get there without a car as Skyliner doesn't even run that early, it's hard to get uber, and not sure about bus system). If you are not a morning person or have young kids...this can be really hard.

And I guess, with BG, everyone is there at rope drop, which makes super long rides at the headliners right at park open.

I don't even know if I'm rooting for BG to still be around for August, or for RotR to have moved to FP. I think the former...just because we have a short trip and we won't get a FP for day 2.

It won't get deleted, just needs to be in the proper forum :)

Here is the problem though, Because we had been up since 4 am, by 4pm my kids were POOPED. We still had several attractions we hadn't ridden and they said...forget it. We don't want to wait. So we went home. To me, I spent over 600 bucks so my family could ride 5 rides..... Just wow...

Well, you can take a break mid day and then come back. Also, you just need to be in the park by park opening to get a BG so don have to be up at 4

It's just a unique situation with such and advanced ride that is grating huge demand - but it also has been only open for two months and year there are a lot of negatives for this time period but it might not be like this long term. They have MMRR opening on March 4th and they have already announced MFSR is going to FPs on Feb 19th ... plus Rat opening later this year and Guardians and Tron next year to help spread crowds along with other things .... So it may just be a short term phenomenon

....how about a rope drop at 5AM?

enhance

Yes, I'm not kidding....this was at 5:03AM on Dec 27.

and from what I read, it seems like its hard to get there without a car as Skyliner doesn't even run that early, it's hard to get uber, and not sure about bus system

Just to this point - the buses are running plenty early. Starting well before 6am for the 7am openings. I would target being at the bus stop around 5:30-5:45 am and you should be fine from that standpoint

It was a bigger issue when the ride first opening and they were doing that you could join a BG when they opened gates and people were showing up before 4am and Disney transport wasn't running yet - but since they shifted to BGs only opening at official park opening time it has been fine

Just to this point - the buses are running plenty early. Starting well before 6am for the 7am openings. I would target being at the bus stop around 5:30-5:45 am and you should be fine from that standpoint

It was a bigger issue when the ride first opening and they were doing that you could join a BG when they opened gates and people were showing up before 4am and Disney transport wasn't running yet - but since they shifted to BGs only opening at official park opening time it has been fine
Thanks for clarifying. We're staying at Pop so would be nice to use the Skyliner, but good to know that the bus is still an option.

The people this really can cause a challenge for are those without park hopper - if we are unsuccessful on one day, my family can keep trying on the other 7...if you don’t have park hopper and use a ticket and fail, you have burned your chance to try again. There should be a plan in place to allow those guests to leave (somehow reset their ticket?) and allow them to reuse the ticket elsewhere if they enter and wait in a special holding area. Just a thought.

FYI, we were up at 4 so we could leave by 4:45 and get to the park by 5:30. I thought that would make us front of the line for Smugglers but NO.. we were so far back the line said 2 hours and we were still in the pack trying to get to the ride. We were afraid we would have missed our BG and we would have because we were called shortly before 7:30.

They have MMRR opening on March 4th and they have already announced MFSR is going to FPs on Feb 19th ... plus Rat opening later this year and Guardians and Tron next year to help spread crowds along with other things .... So it may just be a short term phenomenon

Plus, I would expect RotR to only increase in uptime (especially now that there is a data point/sister at DL).

No, we could not. We had an 11 am ADR at Prime Time. ( Only one we could get and that not until the day before....) Our Rock n Rollercoaster FP was at 2:20. We were stuck... You have to deal with the FP's that you can get when you stay off site. And yes, we were on our phones ( YUCK) trying to redo them the day of as more opened up, but they wanted to ride RnR and another earlier time never opened up and so by 3 when we could get more there were none.

Well yeah, but that is any park, any day - you have to work around the FPs you can get. Or you could skip them - all Disney trips come with making choices

This to me is just like rope dropping any other park just you have to have some flexibility for your BG return time

Now, for people that typically don't rope drop it stinks as they need to do so if they want to ride .... But I don't know if any better alternative - everything else I have seen proposed creates as many or more issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter