How RotR BG's ruined HS

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, we were up at 4 so we could leave by 4:45 and get to the park by 5:30. I thought that would make us front of the line for Smugglers but NO.. we were so far back the line said 2 hours and we were still in the pack trying to get to the ride. We were afraid we would have missed our BG and we would have because we were called shortly before 7:30.

When did you go? I've seem multiple recent reports of people getting there later than you and having no more than 45 min waits at MFSR

Geez, can you imagine what it’ll be like when MMRR opens???

Well...I was planning on being there opening day, but these latest trends have me questioning it. Good point and I read over in the News Forum that MMRR is pointing towards BG as well.

The people this really can cause a challenge for are those without park hopper - if we are unsuccessful on one day, my family can keep trying on the other 7...if you don’t have park hopper and use a ticket and fail, you have burned your chance to try again. There should be a plan in place to allow those guests to leave (somehow reset their ticket?) and allow them to reuse the ticket elsewhere if they enter and wait in a special holding area. Just a thought.

Now, this isn't 100% but even on the worst days if you are in the park prior to officially opening you will get a BG. Unless you run into major technical issues, you will get a primary BG as even on worst days they are lasting a minute or two and it only takes seconds to request to join one

So far, with a primary BG if you don't get called due to the ride having technical issues they have been giving an extra day park ticket and an anytime FP to come back - so even if you have just a one park ticket and that is your only DHS day, if you are in the park prior to opening (so in by, say 6:55) you will get to ride that day or be enabled to come back

Obviously there are some exceptions (if that is the last day of your trip, etc) but for 99% of people you will get on the ride

Well...I was planning on being there opening day, but these latest trends have me questioning it. Good point and I read over in the News Forum that MMRR is pointing towards BG as well.
I mean, I imagine it will maybe make normal BGs for RotR more available (maybe 2 or even 3 min? 🤣), but that is gonna be some fire safety-concern level crowding.

OP, I understand what you’re saying about the crowds. But what’s the alternative...? Not open any new rides? For years many people have considered DHS a half day park at best. Disney invested millions into Star Wars and created what’s considered by many to be the most incredible ride in the world. Of course that will come with massive crowds, especially in the first few months (years?) of opening. Boarding groups aren’t perfect, but again, what’s the alternative? Standby lines would be HOURS long and would be undoubtedly met with thousands of unhappy guests. It’s a difficult situation and I think they’re doing the best they can to make as many guests happy as possible. The new FP tiers starting 2/19 will also help a lot. I think we need to give this some time before declaring that DHS is ruined.

First, I think paying one day ticket prices for probably the parks sets really high expectations that I would say 2/4 maybe even 3 will have a hard time living up to. Not that you could have avoided that if that’s what you needed, but I think that can contribute to less than stellar experiences even on a good day.

RotR has done to DHS what many of us were worried about happening when SWGE opened. It really does make a mess of the day (compared to the park before), and the one hour window makes it that much worse. I hope things can stabilize soon. I was a big fan of the virtual queue but with an hour return window and the inability to choose when your BG returns, I’ll be quite happy when they feel comfortable enough with the reliability and can move to FP, where you can plan around your return time.

I guess DHS is no longer a half day park as many complained about before, and in a month even less so

Personally we spent full days there before and more than one, but I know lots of people viewed it that way.

I’m not sure much has really changed with ROTR opening to make it a full day park for those guests, except for making the wait times much, much longer. DHS doesn’t have enough low effort things to do to mitigate the high waits at this point IMO, especially if you aren’t interested in some of the shows. FP and touring knowledge (and patience) are needed there, big time. I think it differs from the other 3 parks in that it doesn’t really have an area that encourages wandering around like World Showcase, and doesn’t have a lot to do, shows aside, without significant waits like AK with some of its attractions/trails, or MK.

If RotR is all you want to do, yes

Not all you want to do, but the priority.

Meaning, if people get an early boarding group they stick around for the ride. Maybe do a few other rides as they wait. Or they head to another park or back to their resort to rest if the get a later boarding group, then stick around to do a few rides.

HS has always been a full day park to me. But at the moment it’s a half day everyday park.

Please no flames , but totally understand where the OP is coming from, and I would no.problem with Disney going a straight FP scenario here - and if i am unable to get a FP, my loss - it's happened before with FoP , and we just deal with it -
Heres our situation - we are going in July - myself (dad) and Dd13 and DS 8

We don't normally hit the parks that early.- Its vacation , and we like to sleep in a bit - and it's summer, so we usually leave the hotel later, and stay out later. Our DHS has a 4pm ADR at sci-fi - mentioned this scenario on another thread - lets say we do get a BG , and its callled at 3pm - there is no way that we would make that ADR - I could go to the restaurant and see if they are willing to accommodate us later, but that's a risk, given the popularity of sci-fi ( adrs are hard enough to come by)

Then you have the situation that the OP addressed - will be hard enough getting the kids up and out so early, ( son is lower end of spectrum, and has sensory issues) so he needs help getting ready.
( I know this situation doesn't apply to everyone, but just expressing a personal concern) - then you have the crowd issue once we get.to the park - and as OP mentioned - my kids would probably be so tired ( and I WOULD make.sure the previous nite is an early one) that they might not be able to enjoy the entire DHS experience

Just many things to ponder - again, just my personal situation, but would have no problem with a FP system

Personally we spent full days there before and more than one, but I know lots of people viewed it that way.

I’m not sure much has really changed with ROTR opening to make it a full day park for those guests, except for making the wait times much, much longer. DHS doesn’t have enough low effort things to do to mitigate the high waits at this point IMO, especially if you aren’t interested in some of the shows. FP and touring knowledge (and patience) are needed there, big time. I think it differs from the other 3 parks in that it doesn’t really have an area that encourages wandering around like World Showcase, and doesn’t have a lot to do, shows aside, without significant waits like AK with some of its attractions/trails, or MK.
Obviously, if you don't enjoy shows then the attention is all on attractions. But they have things to pass the time without queuing. Citizens of Hollywood, Walt Disney Presents and Launch Bay. But the emphasis is big on Star Wars with Galaxy Far Far Away and Jedi Training and just walking around and playing with Datapad inside SWGE

Please no flames , but totally understand where the OP is coming from, and I would no.problem with Disney going a straight FP scenario here - and if i am unable to get a FP, my loss - it's happened before with FoP , and we just deal with it -
Heres our situation - we are going in July - myself (dad) and Dd13 and DS 8

We don't normally hit the parks that early.- Its vacation , and we like to sleep in a bit - and it's summer, so we usually leave the hotel later, and stay out later. Our DHS has a 4pm ADR at sci-fi - mentioned this scenario on another thread - lets say we do get a BG , and its callled at 3pm - there is no way that we would make that ADR - I could go to the restaurant and see if they are willing to accommodate us later, but that's a risk, given the popularity of sci-fi ( adrs are hard enough to come by)

Then you have the situation that the OP addressed - will be hard enough getting the kids up and out so early, ( son is lower end of spectrum, and has sensory issues) so he needs help getting ready.
( I know this situation doesn't apply to everyone, but just expressing a personal concern) - then you have the crowd issue once we get.to the park - and as OP mentioned - my kids would probably be so tired ( and I WOULD make.sure the previous nite is an early one) that they might not be able to enjoy the entire DHS experience

Just many things to ponder - again, just my personal situation, but would have no problem with a FP system
Switching RotR to fp is Disney's ultimate goal and best case scenario. They're not using bg out of choice but necessity. It'll get there

I think there are a lot of things to wander and see and do in DHS but they do have to be your "cup of tea". I could spend hours watching the Citizens of Hollywood. I love looking at the details in the facades and "store windows". I love One Man's dream and Star Wars Launch Bay. A lot of characters to meet too if that is your thing

There aren't a ton of "rides" but there are definitely things to do and occupy your time with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very legitimate criticisms there. The BG system is a temporary kludge, unsatisfactory in many ways as you point out, that results in a lot of dissatisfaction, many very tired people, and it does not mesh at all well with the rest of Disney’s system. Disney would probably love to end BGs and move to regular FP just as soon as the ride becomes reliable enough.

Last edited:
We were there last September for the EEMH and it worked so well. We got there around 4:45 but we were in by 6:35 or so then walked back to the MFSR or TSL. Had we not chosen to see characters we would have been pretty much done by 9:30, then we left (at 10:05 approx) and came back afternoon to catch the shows, Muppets and Fantasmic.
What I've been reading about the BGs and the rest of the park, it doesn't sound very positive at this time. Waiting to see how things shake out, especially with the new tier system being implemented. I'm trying to decide (I have plenty of time) whether to use the strategy of getting early fps, then get out until later, or go for later fps and see how much we can get done am before leaving mid day. Plus it depends on what they do with MMRR.
Is MFSR single rider?

OP, I have been following this situation from day one and I agree with you. I feel very pleased with my choice to back away from WDW for a while to let the dust settle. I thought I would have serious FOMO, but I do not.

It's nice to see a decent discussion on this without it being overrun with Disney apologists. I know they are doing what they think is best and no, it won't work for everyone. I do think it's ok to tell myself and others to avoid it until things calm down.

We were there Thanksgiving week and didn't even attempt or plan to ride the Falcon. We enjoyed the land and the rest of HS. I was so glad we weren't there for the opening of Rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter