How safe is the metro in Hollywood on an evening?

Danauk

<font color=green>I would be sitting on the patio
DH and I are planning to stay at the Rennaisance Hollywood hotel and one day go to Universal. We will have a car but also noticed that it is only one stop down the metro line. So I am guessing it would be easier to take the metro rather than drive there? But we would be returning later in the evening, around 9pm so would the metro be safe at this time (I am used to riding the tube in London and would feel safe riding this at 9pm). Or would you recommend we drive there anyway?
We have never been to LA before and have heard a few areas are less desirable and we would stick out like sore thumbs as tourists with our British accents!!
So any advice? Thanks.

I've taken the Metro Red Line from USH many times as late as 11:30 pm. Never had a problem. Just take the usual precautions as you would on the Tube: don't display any valuables (wallet, camera); don't carry a guide book (a clear sign of a tourist); and don't draw attention to yourself by talking loudly.

Woody

I've ridden the red line many times, even at night by myself. There are uniformed and plain clothes officers that ride the subway and lately they've been making themselves pretty visible. I wouldn't worry about it and just take the usual precautions.

Its very safe, I had a class in Hollywood so I rode the Redline there frequently and its clean and safe, never seen a probablam. I see police down there a lot.

Yeah I wouldnt worry about the MTA redline either. I ride it pretty often and it is very safe. As of lately it seems the officers are much more visable in the stations. I see them yelling at kids for pretty minor things like sitting down on the stairs! Now once you exit the stations is another story some of the areas are not very safe at night, but if your just going from the Universal station to the Hollywood station you will be perfectly safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter