How safe is the metro

shelldub

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
First timer coming over in January from Ireland. I’ve done Orlando countless times but this is all new for me.
Plan is
Lax - universal
Universal - disney
Disney - Lax

I’m quite taken aback at how much transportation is going to cost and we won’t be hiring a car.

I’ve been looking at the metro from universal to Disney and from Disney to LAX but I just wondered how safe it is to use as a tourist with luggage.

Thanks.
Michelle

There have been quite a few stories lately about increased crime rate on the Metro this year. I haven’t had to use it post-pandemic, so I can’t comment on whether or not it has felt unsafe lately.

I will say that I never felt unsafe riding as a solo female at night prior to the pandemic (subway, not busses).

I imagine you’d be okay if you’re riding during the day especially. Just give yourself plenty of time when getting to LAX. It’s not nearly as convenient/efficient a system as you’re likely used to in Europe!

I take the metro subway from Hollywood to Universal five days a week - no luggage.

I take the Flyaway from LAX to Hollywood several times a year - with luggage.

I take the metro/train from Hollywood to Disney occasionally - no luggage.

What you want to do can be done but be aware that it's quite a trek. And many hours of travel.

LAX to Universal will be a bus - the "Flyaway" to Union Station (train station in downtown Los Angeles) then subway to Universal. The bus is very safe.

The subway from Union Station to Universal is as safe as any subway in a major city. I see people with luggage on it all the time. Just take the usual precautions and be aware of your surroundings.

Universal to Disney will mean subway>train>bus. The train and bus will be very safe - no issues at all.

I used it extensively in the past year as my primary transportation while I was in LA/OC Counties. It can get interesting, although at no point did I consider it unsafe. It might be occasionally unpleasant with homeless people riding the bus/train and especially the mentally ill talking to nobody in particular. I even discussed this with my then 11/12 year old who went with me on a couple of these trips. Some of the neighborhoods aren't necessarily the best, so you might want to carefully consider where you transfer.

There are several other bus agencies in the area, although the ones in Orange County don't accept the TAP interagency fare card that all of the LA County agencies use. From LAX there are several options for getting to Universal, including taking (Santa Monica's) Big Blue Bus.

I generally got around with my iPhone and Apple Maps to plan public transit trips. Quite a few of the buses had real time updates, where I could time when to get to a bus stop rather than waiting too long. But I would have to plan the route first. TAP also has an app with a trip planner that has either schedules and/or real time updates.

They've also gone to pay as you go with "fare caps" for virtual daily/weekly passes. When I went we purchased daily weekly passes, which LA Metro claimed were "50% off" - $3.50 per day or $12.50 for 7 days. Now it's $5 per day or $18 for 7 days where it's automatically withdrawn from cash funds when it reaches the predetermined cap.

https://www.metro.net/about/farecapping/

Another issue is where you might get the TAP fare card, which costs $2 without any cash value. I wanted to get ours riding the 460 bus from Anaheim to Los Angeles, but when we got on the bus the driver said he was out, but allowed us on the bus with the promise that we would be purchasing them along with day passes. We got off near Angels Flight and then bought them at a Metro Red/Purple line station where we entered. There are other places where they're available including LA Union Station at machines and a customer service location. If you're starting from LAX, it's possible to get the card and to add cash value (or even agency passes) at either the City Bus Center or at the Metro Green Line station.

My last trip was odd since I purchased a Metro day pass for my existing TAP card. When I boarded Big Blue Bus, I checked my ride history and it stated that I had accepted that Metro day pass for those rides, even though it's a separate agency.

While you're in Anaheim I'd suggest riding what's now known as Anaheim Regional Transportation. It's a little tricky though, and they use a combined of fixed (untimed) routes along with a newer on-demand system where rides are requested. The latter can get a little complicated, but once I figured it out it was pretty easy. I remember riding on a 40 passenger bus along on a requested ride from the Anaheim train station to Buena Park, but the drivers said it was all part of the service where they don't have to waste time/energy on little used routes.

https://rideart.org

The biggest issue with luggage is going to be where to store it on the bus or train. The Metro subway and light rail might have more room with spaces designed for bikes.

Last edited:

The subway from Union Station to Universal is as safe as any subway in a major city. I see people with luggage on it all the time. Just take the usual precautions and be aware of your surroundings.

Universal to Disney will mean subway>train>bus. The train and bus will be very safe - no issues at all.

I've seen some really weird **** on the Red Line though. Nothing where I was thinking I had to get off, but where someone was talking about what seemed like a fictional account of her personal history, or one woman who was yelling out to a "boyfriend" who wasn't there. I remember one woman who forgot to get off at her stop and pulled the emergency door release, although it popped right back in and started. And a few times had a child with me. I'm not sure when the new cars come though. That might make things better with stuff like destination video monitors and hopefully a smoother ride. The older cars just feel old and depressing even though they're still relatively reliable.

Universal to Disneyland can be done via subway/bus - the Red Line + Metro 460. I've sort of done that in reverse, although we made some other stops like going to Little Tokyo. This recommends getting off at the Pershing Square station and then transferring to the 460 in front of some apartment buildings. I actually waited there last year and it was a bit frustrating because one of the buses looked like it was cancelled.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Uni...1d-117.9189742!2d33.8120918!3e3!5i1?entry=ttu

As others have stated, it can be done but it comes at a big cost by way of time and comfort. Is the cost of the rental car and parking the primary deterrent in going that route? Depending on how many people are in your party, it may not be as large of a gap in cost as you may think.

As others have stated, it can be done but it comes at a big cost by way of time and comfort. Is the cost of the rental car and parking the primary deterrent in going that route? Depending on how many people are in your party, it may not be as large of a gap in cost as you may think.

I think one of the things is that with public transportation, large parties don't necessarily have to worry about splitting up with perhaps just one car. Heck - I remember my wife wanted to sleep in and took LA Metro 460 from Buena Park to Anaheim to meet up with us.

Hi
I'm from Ireland, Im a solo female traveler and I have been travelling to LA and Disneyland for over 10 years. I don't drive so I use public transport to get around.

Disneyland is approx 1 hours drive south of LAX airport in Anaheim.

Its about a 90 drive between Disneyland in Anaheim and Universal Studios in Burbank, which is north of Hollywood.

Most people do a 2 location holiday, stay in Anaheim for Disneyland and stay in Burbank or Hollywood for Universal Studios and the main LA tourist things.

There is no direct public transport from LAX airport to Disneyland in Anaheim. Most people either use a private car service approx $100 per journey or hire a car or use Uber / Lyft.

I have used Midwilshuttle on multiple trips in 2022 and 2023. My most recent trip was in June 2023. I flew Aer Lingus from Dublin and the scheduled arrival time was 6.30pm in LAX. When I go off the plane and turned on my phone and connected to the airport Wifi I had a Whats App message from the driver that he was in the area. I replied that I was waiting for me bag. The driver replied that when I had my bag to go outside to the Pick Up Area and to text which sign number I was standing at. When I had my bag and went outside and text the sign number, I go a message that the driver would be there in 10 minutes, I also go a photo of the car and the drivers name. By the time I waited for my luggage, connected with the driver, travel time from LAX to Downtown LA, it was approx 8.30pm when I was checking into my hotel. After a 10 hour transatlantic flight I was so glad I didnt have to battle my way with my luggage on public transport.

I use the Metro Red Line to get around when I stay in LA. Its like any big city now, you have to be street wise, and be aware of your personal safety. As a means of transport to get around LA if you are staying in LA its fine. But I still dont advise using it after dark.

I have in the past used the Metro to get between LAX, Anaheim and LA.

Flyaway Bus from LAX to LA is a good and safe way HOWEVER, you will still need to get yourself from Union Station in Downtown LA to Universal. The journey time is approx 40 minutes, you have to haul your luggage up and down escalators to get to the platform. Then at Universal City Metro stop you still have to get to your hotel.
This option to me is not a practical way for you to do.

There is a bus from outside Downtown LA to Disney. Its the 460 and it takes 2 hours approx. I have used this route and I would say from a safety point of view its ok, but from a time and logistics point of view its not really viable. You would have to get yourself from Universal to Downtown LA and then at the other end from Disney to your Anaheim hotel with all your luggage.

I have previously used Midwilshuttle to transfer between Universal studios and Disney.

I know its a lot of money, but getting a private car service for the 3 big journeys, LAX to Universal , Universal to Disney and Disney back to LAX is the safest and most practical way. I budget approx $350 for those journeys plus tips.

There is no direct public transport from LAX airport to Disneyland in Anaheim. Most people either use a private car service approx $100 per journey or hire a car or use Uber / Lyft.

It can be done. Metro Green Line from LAX with a transfer to Metro Route 460 at the Norwalk Station.

Should be $1.75 or $3.50 depending on transfer time, but more complicated because of their new fare cap system with the TAP fare card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter