How scary is Sci-Fi?

Kbosch

Mouseketeer
I'll be in WDW in September with a 6, 4 and 3 year old. We already have plans for one day at HS to do Hollywood and Vine, but for our second day I was possibly thinking of Sci-Fi. I think they would all love the cars, but my last time there was 20 years ago - I don't remember how scary some of the shorts were. Do you think they would be scared? Any other suggestions that would be better?

Generally most kids are fine. I think what they see on TV and at the movies is a bit more intense than what is in in these old movies and clips. BUT there arei a couple of scenes wth monsters and a scene with a giant hypodermic needle that might scare little ones. I think most everyone over the years reported their kids were good with it all.

I've taken my 6 year old nephew and 8 year old niece. Neither of them were scared. My nephew loved it, but my niece thought it was very boring because there was only 1 or 2 cartoon clips.

The movie shorts are all black and white, low budget B-movies. The sound is kept really low (so no scary surprise noises). You know your kids best, if they are super sensitive they might be a bit scared but I would say most kids either enjoy the clips or find them a bit on the boring side.

My now 5 yo has been numerous times and never phased her. Not sure she paid all they much attention to screen to be honest. She was looking around and coloring.

I was there yesterday with a nearly 3 year old and 5 year old and, while they both loved it, there were a couple scenes that made me go hmmmm. The monsters/aliens/ walking dead guy are pretty creepy looking and, while my kids didn’t seem to mind them, it might be enough to set more sensitive kids off. Then there is a scene where they give a giant shot to amazing colossal man to try and shrink him... and then the amazing colossal man pulls it out of his foot and impales the scientist with it. My 2 yo didn’t mind that part but my 5yo, who is terrified of shots, was pretty scared. It’s like a 5 second clip though so it wasn’t the end of the world. Overall they both loved it!

I took DS was he was 3 and it did not go over well. The cars are also very cramped, IMHO, with very little table space. If you are going to need to assist the children with their meals in any way, it's just not fun. I would opt for a more traditional TS set up and agree with the 50's Prime Time suggestion. It still has the fun factor, but is easier to navigate with smaller children.

Funny, I asked this question a few months ago, and quite a few people wrote in that their preschool/early school-aged kids were terrified. Based on the feedback I received, we are not going here. My dds are easily frightened.

It’s campy. Like so fake it’s funny. I’ve seen it multiple times and can’t recall any particularly scary scenes. However, it is dark and some kids might not like it.
I think my youngest was 4 his first time there.

I took DS was he was 3 and it did not go over well. The cars are also very cramped, IMHO, with very little table space. If you are going to need to assist the children with their meals in any way, it's just not fun. I would opt for a more traditional TS set up and agree with the 50's Prime Time suggestion. It still has the fun factor, but is easier to navigate with smaller children.

I agree that this is why you should pass on sci-fi, not because of the movies.

My kids were too enthralled with the cars themselves to notice much about the movies.

Same here - both have been going to sci-fi since they've been able to sit on their own, and it doesn't faze them - my little one actually sits there and waits for "The Cat that Hated People" ! Finds it hilarious!

We took my 6 year old niece and 4 year old nephew to Sci Fi and it never even occurred to me that they could perceive some of the clips as scary. They didn't pay attention to the clips most of the time and they didn't react one way or the other when they did catch one.

I would do 50’s PTC instead.

We love 50s, but with kids those ages, I think the theme would be lost on them there. Being able to sit side by side in the cars is a cool experience for the younger ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!