How to convince someone to go to disney?

AlohaPolynesian

DIS Veteran
So I have this great 40% off PIN code. I need to book by March 31st. I NEED to find a travel buddy! My mom doesn't like heat, rides, or crowds. She loves good food and nice hotels. I have chosen her as my victim. I'm going to try to sell this to her as a relaxing weekend. We won't have to do rides, we'll try new restaurants and relax at the hotel. I'm thinking Boardwalk Inn...

Anyways, she says she "doesn't think it will work" which I'm pretty sure translates to something along the lines of "Why the heck would just me and you go to Disney without your little brother? Isn't it for kids? I don't even like rides! If I just wanted to relax we would go to somewhere relaxing - not Disney!"

Alright, give me anything you've got. I need to convince her before the 31st!

You need to show her menus from some of the restaurants and photos of the food & the resort!

My mom was sort of the same way the first time I took her back to the world since the trip (everyone's first) she took me and my kid brother on for Spring Break in 1983. 'What on earth made you pick Disneyworld?' 'What in the world is so interesting about it, you know I am not going on those wild contraptions (rides) so why would I want to go?' :snooty: Things like that.

I basically told her look, I want you to come see this world where you and I can join tens of thousands of other people and act like kids. We can eat what we want, when we want, sleep in or stay up, ride and laugh and watch the shows and just relax and have fun together for a few days.

It's a @#*& bonding moment, woman, now go mark your calendar and get over it. :teeth:

I am not lying. I had to literally force her to go. :headache:

I booked a great hotel, intentionally booked us during the flower & garden festival (my Mom loves gardening in general and brightly-colored flowers in particular), booked some great dining options, even booked the afternoon tea at the GF and the greenhouse tour at Epcot. I gave her one of my old digital cameras and a new memory card and just bit my tongue when she asked me just what it was I thought she would need to take so many photos of.

A couple of weeks before the trip, we were at lunch with my aunts and a cousin, and the trip came up in conversation. My cousin totally gets the draw of WDW, but my aunt doesn't - and asked me the same question I get from many of my friends and family, 'why does a single adult woman with no kids keep going to a place like that?'

My mom's response? 'Well this time she's decided I have to go with her so I'll let you know if I figure it out...' :rolleyes:

I knew she would love it if she'd just spend some time there, it's not like I was trying to torture her or anything.

And I was right. ::yes::

She's going with me this April for her fourth trip in three years - and every one of them completely willingly after that first one. We have fun, we act silly, we take it slow and do whatever we want - and overall it has always been a delightful adult-age bonding experience. :hug:

IMG_204-1.jpg

You need to show her menus from some of the restaurants and photos of the food & the resort!

Good idea!

My mom was sort of the same way the first time I took her back to the world since the trip (everyone's first) she took me and my kid brother on for Spring Break in 1983. 'What on earth made you pick Disneyworld?' 'What in the world is so interesting about it, you know I am not going on those wild contraptions (rides) so why would I want to go?' :snooty: Things like that.

I basically told her look, I want you to come see this world where you and I can join tens of thousands of other people and act like kids. We can eat what we want, when we want, sleep in or stay up, ride and laugh and watch the shows and just relax and have fun together for a few days.

It's a @#*& bonding moment, woman, now go mark your calendar and get over it. :teeth:

I am not lying. I had to literally force her to go. :headache:

I booked a great hotel, intentionally booked us during the flower & garden festival (my Mom loves gardening in general and brightly-colored flowers in particular), booked some great dining options, even booked the afternoon tea at the GF and the greenhouse tour at Epcot. I gave her one of my old digital cameras and a new memory card and just bit my tongue when she asked me just what it was I thought she would need to take so many photos of.

A couple of weeks before the trip, we were at lunch with my aunts and a cousin, and the trip came up in conversation. My cousin totally gets the draw of WDW, but my aunt doesn't - and asked me the same question I get from many of my friends and family, 'why does a single adult woman with no kids keep going to a place like that?'

My mom's response? 'Well this time she's decided I have to go with her so I'll let you know if I figure it out...' :rolleyes:

I knew she would love it if she'd just spend some time there, it's not like I was trying to torture her or anything.

And I was right. ::yes::

She's going with me this April for her fourth trip in three years - and every one of them completely willingly after that first one. We have fun, we act silly, we take it slow and do whatever we want - and overall it has always been a delightful adult-age bonding experience. :hug:

IMG_204-1.jpg

Awesome!!!! You are so lucky to be able to spend that time with your mom. That story was great, thanks for sharing. I hope I can convince my mom. I'm the "bad child" and she would much rather spend time with my sister or brother, which is why she doesn't want to go. She doesn't want to "miss out" on what they're doing at home. :sad2:

I just noticed you are from Houston!! I lived there from August to December for an internship and LOVED it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter