How to figure out dining reservations six months out?

autismgoesdisney

DIS Veteran
We are on the dining plan and have to make our reservations on June 14th. We have a big family gathering to go to so I figured on Mother's Day when we are all together, we could start discussing what restaurants interest us as a group, etc. In the coming month, I'd like to figure out which parks we will go to which days before we make our reservations. How do you do that without knowing the parks hours? I see that there is not parade information either at this time for our trip (we are going december 2010)

We are on the dining plan and have to make our reservations on June 14th. We have a big family gathering to go to so I figured on Mother's Day when we are all together, we could start discussing what restaurants interest us as a group, etc. In the coming month, I'd like to figure out which parks we will go to which days before we make our reservations. How do you do that without knowing the parks hours? I see that there is not parade information either at this time for our trip (we are going december 2010)

We use the previous year's calendar and hope that the park hours are at least close. So far, we've been very lucky doing this the last three years for September.

We use the previous year's calendar and hope that the park hours are at least close. So far, we've been very lucky doing this the last three years for September.

I do the same thing and have been pretty close with park opening hours etc.

We usually pick out the restaurants we want to eat at and then make a list of the order we want to go to them. We save our favorites until the end. For us the answer to the problem of park hours and such is that we get the park hopper and then don't care what park we are at. We usually go to a park in the morning, head back for a swim, and then head to wherever we have ADRs. Since we have been so often (25+ trips) we are definitely not commando park people any more. We actually enjoy a much more relaxed trip now.

Does anyone know if the hours that they post on disboards are close to being accurate this far out? When I did my touring plans they came back with estimate times and am assuming that they use last year's calendars?

The parks follow pretty close to the same schedule for EMH. There are exceptions, of course.

MK: Sun - PM, Thur - AM (if a MVMCP on Sun, then Mon - PM, non Sun)
EP: Tue -AM, Wed - PM (sometimes Fri)
DS: Mon - PM, Sat - AM (if a MVMCP on Sun, then Sun - PM, not Mon)
AK: Mon - AM, Fri - PM (sometimes Wed)

The MK closes at 7 on the days of MVMCP, so there will not be a spectromagic parade. The Dec days are 2,3,5,7,9,10,12,14,16,17,19.

If you come up with a tentative plan, you will be able to confirm the days as the Dec hours should be out before you have to make your ADRs.

The calendar on Disney's website park hours will be up a few weeks before the 6 month ADR time frame - just keep watching. In the meantime, what we do is decide what parks we want to do and where we want to eat. Then, when the park hours are released, we match up our predetermined day with the day we want (EM Hours, Fantasmic, etc).

Mother--in-law wants to go to WDW next year (her first trip in 30+ years). So, we agreed that we would plan the park days, but when it came to resort days, she could pick restaurants. So, divide it out - everyone picks 1 TS they want to do. If there are extras, then the ones that get the most votes are the reservations.

If you look at the prior year calendar, that almost always mirrors what it will be this year. I had booked the Wave at my 180 mark for the Thurs I'll be on site, based on last years calendar of MNSSHP (we wanted to schedule dinner the day we'd be going to the party).

Needless to say, the Halloween party schedule is out now and was almost the same as last year. We were able to schedule the same day we had already made the Wave ressies.

If there is somewhere you really want to go, I'd schedule the ressie at the 180 mark. Just remember, you can always cancel most ressie's if necessary, without any penalty.

I make a list of restaurants I want to go to.

Then I figure out approximately how many days at each park. When the park hours are released (they were out before I could book ADR's) then I write them down and try to figure out what park I will be at. As I have an AP and will get a hopper for my niece, it's not set in stone but at least I have an idea.

Then I start planning what restaurant is in that park or near it so we don't waste too much time travelling for meals. I try to put the harder to get restaurants near the end of my trip as that makes it easier to get them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter