How to get ECV in room myself?

You have to open the door and put something heavy in front of the door to keep it open. Then drive in. I put my small suitcase in front of the door. Thinking about it a normal door stop would work if you plan a head

This is being done to Disney resort rooms? Do you know where any of these are?

I’m just shocked that WDW would do this because even at the newly remodeled Caribbean Beach Resort main building that was mostly torn down and completely remodeled, the only door to the large outdoor eating area was not installed with an ADA push-button for access because Florida building code didn’t require it. The closest accessible entrance requires traveling along the main path around the dining area, into the courtyard, through the main lobby, entering the main entrance of the dining hall, wading through all the diners, refilling one’s drink, then repeating the process backwards.

I’m glad these are being put in but there are so many bathrooms and other main areas that need these types of doors too.

I know for certain Poly Handicap rooms have this. And some at Copper Creek. Don’t know bout other hotels though

I'm able to walk without it so this may or may not work for you. Going into the room, I positioned the ECV pointing towards the door. Put it in neutral via the lever in back. Unlocked the door. Pushed it open a little. Turned around and while pushing the door open with my bum, pulled the ecv into the room.
Going out, I positioned the ecv with the back of the seat pointing towards the door. Opened door. Pushed ecv out. Then flipped the latch on the door so I didn't accidentally lock myself out of the room.

Duh! PULL it into the room! I have done part of this-put it in neutral, but then I push it into the room. One of the reasons I always rent the Go-Go Sport is that it's light enough for me to handle in neutral. But I've pushed it-it would seem that pulling it would be so much easier.

I'm able to walk without it so this may or may not work for you. Going into the room, I positioned the ECV pointing towards the door. Put it in neutral via the lever in back. Unlocked the door. Pushed it open a little. Turned around and while pushing the door open with my bum, pulled the ecv into the room.
Going out, I positioned the ecv with the back of the seat pointing towards the door. Opened door. Pushed ecv out. Then flipped the latch on the door so I didn't accidentally lock myself out of the room.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that would kill me lol! Perhaps it will help someone else. It looks like there are many of us solo travellers.

I travel solo with a large ECV, honestly the doors are always a struggle for me as they are heavy and seem to close with a pretty high force. I normally pull forward and unlock the door which reguires leaning forward on the ecv. Then on the slowest possible speed use the ECV to push the door open as I enter. Sometimes I can keep the door from slaming shut, sometimes I can't. I will try some of the other methods mentioned here next time. On a funny note, I have tried using things to prop the door open only to see them go flying. Those doors are powerful!

I travel solo with a large ECV, honestly the doors are always a struggle for me as they are heavy and seem to close with a pretty high force. I normally pull forward and unlock the door which reguires leaning forward on the ecv. Then on the slowest possible speed use the ECV to push the door open as I enter. Sometimes I can keep the door from slaming shut, sometimes I can't. I will try some of the other methods mentioned here next time. On a funny note, I have tried using things to prop the door open only to see them go flying. Those doors are powerful!

Purchase the Wedge-It door stop that others have mentioned. It works great for the heavy fire doors at Disney. I just returned and it was a lifesaver!

I'm going to contact Wedge-It to see if I can get a cut of the action from all of these orders. :laughing:

ETA: I am by no means affiliated with the company that produces them.
I was searching the DIS while at Boardwalk when I realized I needed a doorstop for my door. I ordered the Wedge-It from Amazon and it was delivered the next day. It works perfectly! I cram it into the top of the door or on the side. The top location keeps the door open wider.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• C37F821E-CF9B-4783-BF53-B45753F0EEB4.jpeg
    C37F821E-CF9B-4783-BF53-B45753F0EEB4.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 35BCB0CF-A85D-4410-BEE3-74F79663AC9D.jpeg
    35BCB0CF-A85D-4410-BEE3-74F79663AC9D.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 11
It would also seem like SOME of the remodeled HANDICAP rooms are having Auto Doors put in where fight with a heavy door and your mobility device is nonexistent. I would ask/do research on which hotels offer this.
I'm really hoping this is the case at BCV. For the first time, I reserved a HA studio, for my next solo trip in January. I'll definitely report back here.
Also, since it's been a while since this post started, I can report that I did try backing my ECV into my room a few months ago. I carried a cane, and used that to help me open the door and hold it open (I've never gotten a door stopper to work for me). The only problem came when I got all the way in and let go of the door. Then it was a race to try to keep the door from slamming shut (Bam!) My apologies to my next door neighbors because a few times I lost that race. But at least I was never out past 9:00.

I'm really hoping this is the case at BCV. For the first time, I reserved a HA studio, for my next solo trip in January. I'll definitely report back here.
Also, since it's been a while since this post started, I can report that I did try backing my ECV into my room a few months ago. I carried a cane, and used that to help me open the door and hold it open (I've never gotten a door stopper to work for me). The only problem came when I got all the way in and let go of the door. Then it was a race to try to keep the door from slamming shut (Bam!) My apologies to my next door neighbors because a few times I lost that race. But at least I was never out past 9:00.
Had an HA studio at BCV in August. I can confirm there was an automated door. However, it was not working. Also, the light in the roll in shower wouldn’t go on. Ugh! I did report but nothing done while I was there. Hopefully both are fixed by the time you arrive. These rooms need some serious attention!

The plus side was I had one of the oversized balconies overlooking the pool. Just love those!

I just returned from my trip and wanted to say the Wedge-It door stop was THE BEST! It worked so well, and I could see how a weaker door stop wouldn’t hold such a heavy door open. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I bought one for my upcoming solo trip! Its a one time use for me so Ill be looking to hand it off to someone at AKL on Dec 13!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts