How to handle guest disputes?

TXAKDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
I’m not sure if this is the correct forum, but how do you handle guest disputes? And how does Disney?

We had an incident yesterday wth another guest unlike any I’ve ever had before or witnessed. While waiting to scan our MBs to enter, a man (in his 20s) turned around and kicked my one year olds stroller HARD. My son was asleep (very heavy sleeper), and I’m honestly not sure if the man kicked my son’s feet (the end of the seat right next to his feet was folded backwards after the kick). I was in shock.

The man obviously had some sort of developmental/mental deficiency, and his mom (directly in front of him, in an EVC) turned around and screamed at me. She accused me of running into her son. I said, “I did not” (I hadn’t moved at all) and she screamed back that I hit her son twice. (Like I said, she was in front of her son, and facing away from us the whole time, so I’m not sure how she would even know.)

This all happened after I had seen her son hit their (service?) dog with its leash on the ferry boat; and then in line the woman drove over the dog’s foot, pulling its booty off - the son told the mom the dog’s booty had come off, picked it up, and hit the dog again. I was already pretty shocked that he had hit the dog a couple times when he turned around and kicked my son’s stroller.

The son had been walking around between the entry scanners, the EVC, and the dog. I was purposefully staying even further back from him than I normally do, simply bc he was moving around so much. I’m positive I didn’t hit him. But even if I had bumped him, I don’t think that ever justifies what he did. (I also asked my 10yo later and she said I didn’t bump into him.)

The mom and son pulled ahead, and the CM working the entry who witnessed the whole incident (it all happened directly in front of her) apologized to me and asked if I wanted her to call a manager. I was still in shock and said no. While we were scanning our MBs, I saw the woman get another CM and heard her tell him I hit her son (I didn’t hear her say a word about the kick; apparently nothing came of her complaint, at least from my perspective).

By the time we got to the firehouse to pick up SOTMK cards, the shock was wearing off and I was in tears. I was worried that someone (a grown man at that) had kicked my 1yo son, worried about the poor dog, and upset that I’d been screamed at (I HATE getting in any sort of “trouble” and avoid doing anything that will upset other people).

I think the time to speak to a manager has passed. But I’m not sure what one would have even done? I’m not even sure the man was responsible for his own actions, but the mother certainly should be. And if she’d apologized instead of screaming and accusing me of being the guilty party (to something she didn’t even witness), I would feel different about the whole incident (still not happy that he kicked the stroller and possibly my son, but understanding). I was (and still am) afraid of running into the pair at the parks again. I’m also extremely averse to having anyone upset at me, and it bothers me that she told the CM that I hit her son.

For future reference, should I have spoken to a manager or gone to guest services? What would they even have done (since he only maybe kicked my son, I’m not sure if it even qualifies as an “assault”)?

It's too late now for anything, and I would have been as shaken up as you were and probably at a loss for what to do at the time. Looking back at it, I would have had the concerned CM get a manager so that they would know you didn't hit or bump the man, and so that they could be made aware of the man abusing his dog. Had the CM not offered a manager, I might have still gone to GS to make them aware that you witnessed the guest abusing his dog multiple times.

CMs do pretty much nothing about guest behavior so your best bet is to try to get past it and move on with your day. I have only witnessed 2 events where security got involved and they were both really bad events, nothing akin to guests simply yelling at each other. I know it's hard to ignore and it gets to you. I had a bad guest experience years ago and I still remember it very clearly and how much it bothered me.
But, like the previous poster, I would have reported the animal abuse to security (not a regular CM).

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum, but how do you handle guest disputes? And how does Disney?

We had an incident yesterday wth another guest unlike any I’ve ever had before or witnessed. While waiting to scan our MBs to enter, a man (in his 20s) turned around and kicked my one year olds stroller HARD. My son was asleep (very heavy sleeper), and I’m honestly not sure if the man kicked my son’s feet (the end of the seat right next to his feet was folded backwards after the kick). I was in shock.

The man obviously had some sort of developmental/mental deficiency, and his mom (directly in front of him, in an EVC) turned around and screamed at me. She accused me of running into her son. I said, “I did not” (I hadn’t moved at all) and she screamed back that I hit her son twice. (Like I said, she was in front of her son, and facing away from us the whole time, so I’m not sure how she would even know.)

This all happened after I had seen her son hit their (service?) dog with its leash on the ferry boat; and then in line the woman drove over the dog’s foot, pulling its booty off - the son told the mom the dog’s booty had come off, picked it up, and hit the dog again. I was already pretty shocked that he had hit the dog a couple times when he turned around and kicked my son’s stroller.

The son had been walking around between the entry scanners, the EVC, and the dog. I was purposefully staying even further back from him than I normally do, simply bc he was moving around so much. I’m positive I didn’t hit him. But even if I had bumped him, I don’t think that ever justifies what he did. (I also asked my 10yo later and she said I didn’t bump into him.)

The mom and son pulled ahead, and the CM working the entry who witnessed the whole incident (it all happened directly in front of her) apologized to me and asked if I wanted her to call a manager. I was still in shock and said no. While we were scanning our MBs, I saw the woman get another CM and heard her tell him I hit her son (I didn’t hear her say a word about the kick; apparently nothing came of her complaint, at least from my perspective).

By the time we got to the firehouse to pick up SOTMK cards, the shock was wearing off and I was in tears. I was worried that someone (a grown man at that) had kicked my 1yo son, worried about the poor dog, and upset that I’d been screamed at (I HATE getting in any sort of “trouble” and avoid doing anything that will upset other people).

I think the time to speak to a manager has passed. But I’m not sure what one would have even done? I’m not even sure the man was responsible for his own actions, but the mother certainly should be. And if she’d apologized instead of screaming and accusing me of being the guilty party (to something she didn’t even witness), I would feel different about the whole incident (still not happy that he kicked the stroller and possibly my son, but understanding). I was (and still am) afraid of running into the pair at the parks again. I’m also extremely averse to having anyone upset at me, and it bothers me that she told the CM that I hit her son.

For future reference, should I have spoken to a manager or gone to guest services? What would they even have done (since he only maybe kicked my son, I’m not sure if it even qualifies as an “assault”)?
I would certainly have wanted to talk to a manager. In fact, depending on how clear it was that this man kicked my child, I would have also called 9-1-1 for the police. WDW is not it's own country- if someone assaults you or your children there, you should call the police like you would anywhere else in the USA.

Hopefully you never have to experience anything like this again but, in a situation like this, if a CM ever asks if you would like them to get a manager, the answer is "yes." I definitely would have wanted to report the animal abuse.

As it is, the time has passed and there's nothing that can be done now, so the best thing to do is to try to put it out of your mind

At the time they probably wouldn’t have actually gotten involved between you, but would have focused on what would make the moment better for your family.

But letting someone know of the dog abuse is a good idea. If you see them again and see it happen again, find security. There are cameras all around; an impartial camera would likely pick that up if they know what to look for.

The mom sounds like a former friend of mine; simply could not admit that maybe her child could do wrong. So you would have to have it on camera for her to come close to believing it.

Such a sad time at the most magical place on earth....so sorry you had to experience that. I am glad your son was not hurt.

While the manager probably could not have done anything about the animal abuse, if in fact the dog was a trained service dog from a service dog organization, the name of the organization should be printed on the dogs vest. You can google that organization and get their contact info and send a picture and/or description of the dog and owner to the organization and let them know what you witnessed. The service dog organization that bred and trained the dog technically owns the dog, and they can take it back from the person who the dog was trained to support if there is a issue with abuse or neglect.

OP, I hope you're able to have a better day today. If you see these people again just try and go the other way. With my luck they would be in every single line with me.

I agree with others who said you always say yes when manager is offered at WDW. They need to keep an eye on these two.

If it was me, I would’ve reported the incident to the manager Via CM who witnessed the incident, so they’d have her “testimony” on what really happened, in case the other party ever tried to make new accusations. If you see them in the parks again turn your phone on to record any interaction you may have and tell the mother that it’s not acceptable for her son to abuse animals or assault people and if either happens again you’ll be calling the police.

Such a sad time at the most magical place on earth....so sorry you had to experience that. I am glad your son was not hurt.

While the manager probably could not have done anything about the animal abuse, if in fact the dog was a trained service dog from a service dog organization, the name of the organization should be printed on the dogs vest. You can google that organization and get their contact info and send a picture and/or description of the dog and owner to the organization and let them know what you witnessed. The service dog organization that bred and trained the dog technically owns the dog, and they can take it back from the person who the dog was trained to support if there is a issue with abuse or neglect.
That’s good to know. My son is fine (thankfully), but I really am worried about the dog. It had a vest on that said “service dog” but no other information (I know those vests are easily obtained, so who knows if it’s a legitimate service dog).

I think I would have reported it to the manager, just so somebody is aware. I doubt anything would have been done at the time. Reporting the dog abuse, especially if a true service dog, is just as important.
It would be difficult to decide what to do at the time, as I'm sure you were shocked at their behavior. I'm sure you are not the first or last that this will happen to by this family.
Hope today is better.

Sorry that happened. Everyone handles things differently, so what one of us would have done may not be the same thing you would have, so don't second guess yourself. I would have had a rather interesting and colorful conversation with the mother, but that's just me. If that's their pattern of behavior, I'm sure it'll come up again for them and it may be addressed.

If it was me, I would’ve reported the incident to the manager Via CM who witnessed the incident, so they’d have her “testimony” on what really happened, in case the other party ever tried to make new accusations. If you see them in the parks again turn your phone on to record any interaction you may have and tell the mother that it’s not acceptable for her son to abuse animals or assault people and if either happens again you’ll be calling the police.
I’m not sure the mom really cares. I have no idea what the dog supposedly did on the ferry boat, but I saw the mom hand the son the leash and him immediately use it to hit the dog, with her watching the whole time. (The second time he hit the dog was with an open hand.)

What a mess--so sorry you went through that. I think sometimes parents know their children are at fault and lie to shift the blame because they are embarrassed or overprotective, or maybe even scared of liability. I remember one time a teenager rear ended our car HARD while we were stopped waiting to merge at a yield sign, and a police officer who happened to be on the shoulder just 20 feet behind us saw it all (very convenient for us!). The teen must have texted his mom but neglected to mention the police officer had witnessed the event, because she shows up five minutes later and starts yelling at the cop about how it wasn't her son's fault because we had suddenly gone in reverse and backed up and smashed into her poor teen. Let's just say the police officer was not amused.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that. Those are the moments that really get under our skin despite being in the happiest place.
I personally would have asked to speak to the manager when the CM offered but I understand not knowing what to do in the first place.
People like that mother truly worry me. I worry about the state of her family and that poor dog. Its beyond sad.

I hope that you have washed away such an unpleasant experience and will have only joy for the remainder of your trip!

I have a feeling both the man and his mother had issues. His were just more obvious.
You child was fine--sleeping and did not suffer at all. You, on the other hand saw it and it was not fine. At all.
Those CMs are kids. They can't/don't do anything. He was right to offer up a manager and even if you had talked to one, what would have happened? Probably nothing.
The animal abuse piece has me seeing red. Imagine that poor dog when other people aren't around. I can't even handle that. Even with that, nothing would have happened.
They are just a miserable duo and have problems in all aspects of their life.

Hope you were able to shake this off and have a better day. It's rattling for sure. But don't let it tarnish your trip.

As said above, they probably both had issues.. so in the end there was probably nothing anyone was really going to do about it unless a real crime was committed. Think Disney would have been much more scared of being seen as being mean to mentally challenged, even though they were in the wrong.
However I wouldn't have been worried about what they said, as that obviously wouldn't have gone anywhere either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter