How to handle the heat?

I will say that I love the long park hour days. I'll get up early for RD and often be by the pool by 12 and eat there, take a nap in the room and not head again until 6. I can then attack and enjoy the parks all evening, until 2 am. Being out of the parks in the worst of the heat/crowds just works for me, but some people would hate to lose those park hours.

All GREAT advice! I've pretty much tried ALL of those and the ones that work for me are drink LOTS and LOTS of water (which isn't a problem for me as I'm diabetic and always drink lots of water any way!) duck through air conditioned buildings, staying in the shade is a good idea but doesn't really help with the humidity...I always carry my hand held fan with me! I go to the nearest source of water (preferably cold) dip a handy dandy napkin or rag in said water and wipe skin...that tiny little fan makes a BIG difference for me! I have them in all of my bags along with extra batteries! bringing a snack with salt in it helps a lot too! I bring small bags of trail mix with nuts and goodies in it.

Thanks everyone! I'm usually a hider too! At the beach or pool I'm always 90% in the shade. I used to sit in the sun all day but my body can't handle it anymore. I'm actually at the pool right now but sitting in the sun with a glass of water and a big hat. I agree with those who said you have to sort of train your body a bit.

I also think I don't always stop when I should because the last two hot weather trips we were with friends and all our kids and I didn't want to be a pain, but I'm over that now. They can go on without me and I'll catch up!

I will say that I love the long park hour days. I'll get up early for RD and often be by the pool by 12 and eat there, take a nap in the room and not head again until 6. I can then attack and enjoy the parks all evening, until 2 am. Being out of the parks in the worst of the heat/crowds just works for me, but some people would hate to lose those park hours.

We did this when we were there a couple weeks ago and it was great. I know a lot of people can go open to close with no problem but I'm not one of those people. Plus dragging a kid around in that heat isn't a good feeling either. I really enjoyed taking the afternoon off and swimming. I met some other nice people at the resort too, so that's always a nice bonus.

We have been going every summer now because of everyone's schedule and it is hot. That is why we make a TS lunch reservation. It breaks up the day with the heat. We too make sure to hit certain shows in between to get air conditioning. I travel with several fans with the water and have it on a cord so we can carry it on our shoulders or around our necks - it does help. In the past when MK was opened until midnight or later we would leave and come back around 8pm when it was cooler and get more done in those hours than during the day. I hope you stay cool and don't have anymore episodes.

Find a local provider in your area to get a Myers' Cocktail (IV) before you leave. :) I would say 1-2 days before your trip. Also, visit in the winter months, not summer.

Prices vary but here is the price from one website. Most places have to pre-order these and some require bloodwork in advance. It just depends on the clinic you go to what their rules are.

Dryp Myers Cocktail
$225.00 per
  • 1Liter IV Fluids
  • Vitamins: B12 & B Complex
  • Minerals: Mag, Ca
  • Antioxidants
  • Vitamin C

FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE DIFFERENT THAN ABOVE:
MYERS COCKTAIL – $129
  1. A GREAT OPTION FOR IV HYDRATION
  2. CONTAINS IV FLUID, VITAMIN C, MAGNESIUM, 6 B VITAMINS
  3. HELPS ENERGIZE YOUR BODY
  4. FIGHTS INFECTION AND FATIGUE

The "Myers cocktail" is a nutrient cocktail invented by John Myers, a physician from Baltimore, Maryland. It is administered intravenously and promoted as an alternative treatment for a broad range of conditions including asthma, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It consists of B vitamins, vitamin C and other nutrients.

The Myers cocktail, along with IV fluids, is a very fast way to get critical nutrients and hydration into your body. Many people live hectic, busy lives and have difficulty getting enough vitamins in their diet. There is no better way to replenish your vitamin stores than the intravenous route.

If you have been having a good time in Las Vegas and are feeling run-down and "fuzzy," a Myers Cocktail may be the treatment you need to get your vacation back on track. We can have you in and out of the clinic in 30 minutes.

Here at Hangover Heaven, we likely administer more IV therapy than any other health and wellness clinic in the country. Most IV clinics consider themselves "busy" if they are doing 20 IV's a month. At Hangover Heaven, we sometimes administer over 100 IVs in a single day.

We are experts in IV therapy and can tailor your Myers' cocktail to your individual needs. Some clients need more vitamin C due to illness, which other clients need more magnesium to treat their migraine headaches. We also have some clients with inflammatory bowel disease that require more B vitamins, as their digestive problems limit their ability to absorb B vitamins from food.

Amino acids are a key component of our Myers' cocktail. Glutathione comes standard with our Myers' cocktail and we also have intravenous Taurine as an option, Taurine is a powerful antioxidant and can help energize your body. Glutathione is called "The Mother of antioxidants" and is the most prolific antioxidant in the body. Due to stress and and a highly process food supply, most Americans are antioxidant deficient.

Our Myers Cocktail has been used to treat a wide range of conditions, from general dehydration, to fibromyalgia, to multiple sclerosis.

Last edited:
My friends tease me about it, but drinking lots of water is key, and you will need more than you typically need at home. (if you aren't peeing at regular intervals, you aren't drinking enough). The routine that works for me is to try to drink 32 ounces of water in the morning by the time I hit the front gate of the park (which usually means a rest room break at the first rest room inside the park, and second rest room break a little later--Just make sure you take a restroom break before getting in a long line if you drink a lot of water in the morning). I bring a bottle of water with me, and sip it regularly, even if I don't feel thirsty.

When I'm having a meal, I always get an ice water in addition to the soda that I always get with my meal, and my rule is to drink it before I touch the soda.

If I feel like the water isn't satisfying my thirst, I get a powerade from a cart, and drink that down.

In the summer months, a lot of times I'll book a lunch reservation so that I have a nice hour long break in air conditioning at midday. I'll also try to take breaks in air conditioned places--sit in a counter service, or browse around in the shops, or take a break in a ride like the Carousel of Progress.

Also, don't stop drinking water at the end of the day when you are back in the room. Drink a glass of water before bed, and keep a bottle of water by the bed to sip in the middle of the night if you wake up.

So I guess the moral of my post is drink early and often :)

Lots of good advice here, but I want to add that you may want to have a snack with you that includes salt. For example some crackers with cheese sticks. I'm a geologist and I was working on a drill rig in temps of over 100 degrees and drinking a TON of water, but I was also sweating and you sweat out salts - I got sick because of the lack of salt. Gatorade will help, but I would combine that with salt.

Yes to this 100 %. The United States has demonized salt so much that people forget that it's essential. And if you're sweating a lot then you need to replace it. I will sometimes take a product called thermotabs which is sodium and potasssium chloride. So instead of drinking Gatorade I will take 3-4 of them and continue to drink water.

That's a lot of suggestions. What I do is wear a brimmed hat, put on sun screen, take scheduled breaks and make sure my official WDW water bottle is full of plain water at the start. It's a pretty simple routine and it's what Disney encourages all outdoor CMs to do. It seems to be adequate for the thousands of CMs who are stationed out doors, often in the sun, for 2 to 3 hours at a time during the Florida summer.

I don't see that anyone has mentioned coconut water. Even though the stuff tastes terrible, IMO, it hydrates you lighting fast and you don't have to drink near as much of it as you do water.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm insanely hot and moving around, drinking tons of water gives me an upset stomach. I had basically the same experience as the OP and did some research online finding out how amazing coconut water is for keeping you hydrated in the heat and humidity. I carry 4 coconut waters for the day and drink them spaced apart and it's like the best thing in the world.

Also, I'm originally from Seattle where there is zero humidity and we've lived between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL for the last 7 years. I am not used to this heat yet - it's brutal and I don't think one can really be used to it unless they were raised here or spend the majority of their summer days outdoors. :sunny:

On our trip last April I started not feeling well and I think I was dehydrated even though I'd been drinking water. I found a shady spot and sat down and drank two bottles of water in a row. I was almost thinking I would pass out. After a few minutes we walked and sat inside and had lunch. I was pretty much okay after that.

Ever since I've been nervous that it will happen again. Last trip I brought vitamin water zero and drank one or two per day along with water and only had one almost incident but I just sat down in the shade and drank a bottle of water.

Any advice for me? We're going for a few nights over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks and sorry so long!!
apart from all other tips given here I recommend salt tablets. Water will help but you need the sodium when it's very hot. And here's a tip if you put a salt tablet in your mouth and it doesn't taste like anything it means you are very dehydrated.

Along with the hat suggestions, I also recommend good sunglasses. As a kid, I used to get dizzy after being in the FL sun too long without good eye protection. Now I always travel with a couple good back-up pairs for me & the kids.

Also, I'm originally from Seattle where there is zero humidity and we've lived between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL for the last 7 years. I am not used to this heat yet - it's brutal and I don't think one can really be used to it unless they were raised here or spend the majority of their summer days outdoors. :sunny:

Trust me, you 'don't' get 'used' to it! I'm a born/raised deep south gal from so. LA - am an outdoors person that loves heat much more than cold, but can never enjoy all day in the sun, like at Disney. The older I get, the worse it is. And, yes, have always drank lots of water, very few soft drinks, use all the tips of staying cooler (which we learned early in life) and still, there's not 'getting used to it'!! We just learn to deal with it as it's 'life'!! :) And, I love it!

A lot of this has been said but bears repeating

• Drink water *before* you get overheated, and keep drinking. By the time you are feeling faint from dehydration it's a lot harder to "catch back up" than if you stay ahead of it from the start
  • Wear a hat
  • Covered skin is better than bare, but it's a matter of wearing the right fabrics. linen is great. breezy cotton like seersucker is great. heavy weight knit cotton shirts (long sleeve polo shirts) and denim are bad. It's tempting to always go in shorts and short sleeves, but if you're in an area with oppressive sun, the more you cover the better you are. Just cover up right.
  • Stick to lighter foods during the day (tough at disney sometimes!) Nothing feels worse than eating a rich or greasy lunch then lurching out into 90 degree muggy sun. Save the heavy meals for dinner.
  • Cooling towel for your neck (my daughter has a heart problem and these are a lifesaver for her in the summer even in new england)

That doesn't work when the parks are only open until 10pm in the summer, as they are on my upcoming July vacation.

While I am not the OP, I thank you all for these suggestions! I am going in May next year and I usually go mid to late October so I don't know how different it will be, but I want to be prepared. So I am doing my research about places to escape the heat in the parks (besides TS restaurants since we are on a budget), the ingredients in Gatorade/Powerade (since I have food restrictions due to medical reasons), and other tips. Normally I wear light weight dresses with bike shorts and have found those help keep me cool. I also do carry a filtered water bottle so easy to fill up as needed.

I have never had trouble in October, but I am worried about mid May...

That doesn't work when the parks are only open until 10pm in the summer, as they are on my upcoming July vacation.

That'd be ok with me too, but I go often. I keep thinking they'll expand park hours but the summer attendance dip may truly be changing this.

Find a local provider in your area to get a Myers' Cocktail (IV) before you leave. :) I would say 1-2 days before your trip. Also, visit in the winter months, not summer.

Prices vary but here is the price from one website. Most places have to pre-order these and some require bloodwork in advance. It just depends on the clinic you go to what their rules are.

Dryp Myers Cocktail
$225.00 per
  • 1Liter IV Fluids
  • Vitamins: B12 & B Complex
  • Minerals: Mag, Ca
  • Antioxidants
  • Vitamin C

FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE DIFFERENT THAN ABOVE:
MYERS COCKTAIL – $129
  1. A GREAT OPTION FOR IV HYDRATION
  2. CONTAINS IV FLUID, VITAMIN C, MAGNESIUM, 6 B VITAMINS
  3. HELPS ENERGIZE YOUR BODY
  4. FIGHTS INFECTION AND FATIGUE

The "Myers cocktail" is a nutrient cocktail invented by John Myers, a physician from Baltimore, Maryland. It is administered intravenously and promoted as an alternative treatment for a broad range of conditions including asthma, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It consists of B vitamins, vitamin C and other nutrients.

The Myers cocktail, along with IV fluids, is a very fast way to get critical nutrients and hydration into your body. Many people live hectic, busy lives and have difficulty getting enough vitamins in their diet. There is no better way to replenish your vitamin stores than the intravenous route.

If you have been having a good time in Las Vegas and are feeling run-down and "fuzzy," a Myers Cocktail may be the treatment you need to get your vacation back on track. We can have you in and out of the clinic in 30 minutes.

Here at Hangover Heaven, we likely administer more IV therapy than any other health and wellness clinic in the country. Most IV clinics consider themselves "busy" if they are doing 20 IV's a month. At Hangover Heaven, we sometimes administer over 100 IVs in a single day.

We are experts in IV therapy and can tailor your Myers' cocktail to your individual needs. Some clients need more vitamin C due to illness, which other clients need more magnesium to treat their migraine headaches. We also have some clients with inflammatory bowel disease that require more B vitamins, as their digestive problems limit their ability to absorb B vitamins from food.

Amino acids are a key component of our Myers' cocktail. Glutathione comes standard with our Myers' cocktail and we also have intravenous Taurine as an option, Taurine is a powerful antioxidant and can help energize your body. Glutathione is called "The Mother of antioxidants" and is the most prolific antioxidant in the body. Due to stress and and a highly process food supply, most Americans are antioxidant deficient.

Our Myers Cocktail has been used to treat a wide range of conditions, from general dehydration, to fibromyalgia, to multiple sclerosis.

Or you could just do water for free and Powerade Zero for $.89 per bottle...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter